Considering Alarm.com with Surety - Questions?

Good afternoon. I am considering doing a self install with Surety for an Alarm.com system. I am purchasing a fairly large second home that I will only be able to occupy on the weekends until I move up full time in a few months. The home is 4500 square feet and also has several outbuildings.

I have been calling Alarm.com installers in the state where I am moving but they are all extremely vague with answering my questions and won’t give me information on which products they will be using and if I will have control over the system to add new security devices on as I see fit. I think doing a self install is my best bet and I have used other systems in the past (Simplisafe) which I hated.

My questions about Surety are:

1 - Can I add on other security devices later that are not purchased directly from Surety?

2 - With the outdoor camera that connects to Wifi, can I install it in an outbuilding 50 feet away so long as it has internet, or does it also have to communicate directly with the Surety IQ panel?

3 - Is there a way to make the system link up with an outbuilding so I could also add door and motion sensors or is it limited with the range from the IQ panel (there will be strong internet signal)?

4 - The entire home will be smart after installing all smart lights and devices as well as thermostats. Does Surety link with nest or am I forced to use the Surety thermostats?

5 - Does Surety intergrate with Amazon Alexa so I can add routines such as: motion is sensed on the camera outside, I am alerted on my phone, all the lights in the house turn on for 10 minutes? I currently do this at home with Alexa and my driveway cameras and I am hoping I can do the same with Surety.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Happy to assist!

1 - Can I add on other security devices later that are not purchased directly from Surety?

Absolutely. We do not lock you out of programming and you have access to the Installer Code for your panel. As long as the devices are compatible you can use them, whether you purchase them through us or someone else.

2 - With the outdoor camera that connects to Wifi, can I install it in an outbuilding 50 feet away so long as it has internet, or does it also have to communicate directly with the Surety IQ panel?

Cameras do not connect to the panel directly, the connect to Alarm.com via wi-fi. So long as the can connect, and have power, you can put them on another building.

Some cameras can be live streamed from the IQ Panel 2, more on that here:

More general information on video through Alarm.com can be found here:

3 - Is there a way to make the system link up with an outbuilding so I could also add door and motion sensors or is it limited with the range from the IQ panel (there will be strong internet signal)?

Wireless sensors communicate over RF not wifi. Range is a factor but you may be able to use DSC brand PowerG sensors (which can be used by the IQ Panel 2+) for this as they have a very far range of communication. Local testing would be necessary to determine what works best.

4 - The entire home will be smart after installing all smart lights and devices as well as thermostats. Does Surety link with nest or am I forced to use the Surety thermostats?

Nest thermostats can be used, but their features are limited. The following features with Nest are available through Alarm.com:

• Current target temperature control
  • Current mode control (Heat, Cool)
  • Scene thermostat control including:
  • Temperature control
  • Mode control

Nest compatibility is included in the Surety Automate, Home and Complete plans.

While the Alarm.com T3000 arguably offers the most features through Alarm.com, it is not the only smart thermostat that can be used. Other compatible devices can be found here.

5 - Does Surety intergrate with Amazon Alexa so I can add routines such as: motion is sensed on the camera outside, I am alerted on my phone, all the lights in the house turn on for 10 minutes? I currently do this at home with Alexa and my driveway cameras and I am hoping I can do the same with Surety.

Alarm.com and Alexa can be integrated. more information on pairing and using can be found here:

1 Like

Thank you Tyler! All very helpful answers. One other question, can I get a system that operated on ATT? Unfortunately Verizon signal is limited.

Yes, AT&T models are the same price as the default Verizon one, and they are available upon request. During your purchase, you can just add a note to the order notes field on your order that you need the AT&T model.

Awesome. I am so excited to have found your company. I will be ordering soon.

One other question about security cameras. Are there any other cameras that are powered and also run on Wifi that are compatible with this system with high mexapixel and night vision? I was hoping for something higher than 1080p.

Only Alarm.com model cameras are compatible. You can view a list of compatible models here.

1080P is the max res on those models currently.

There is a balancing act between resolution and bandwidth requirements. The higher the resolution, the greater the bandwidth demands. With one or two cameras it probably won’t matter much, but if you are considering more than that it can have a significant impact.

Thanks Jason. I am looking at the recessed door sensors and prefer them because they are hidden. Is there any technique when how to make sure they line up when drilling the holes? How do you remove them later to change the battery?

I don’t really have tricks for that, nothing beats good measurement. Mark the height with something removable, like tape, then precisely measure the depth. Be sure to note if the door isn’t flush with the frame where you measure.

The recessed sensor and battery tray can be pulled out after removing the cap independent of the casing.