motion sensor false alarm

timmerk - Hmmm… not sure… I have never had a problem setting up with the delay. I have several accounts configured that way and the transmition delay is set to disabled.

I have the exact same problem and it’s happened to me probably 10 times so far, and it almost always occurs with only one of my motion sensors and always right after I enter the disarm code. I did have an alarm today when nobody was home on that same motion sensor, but I’m not sure if that’s related.

I already tried removing the motion sensor and then adding it again, and also rebooting the panel by removing the power/battery.

I hope they come out with a firmware fix for this soon. I’ll see if I can add the entry delay on it, although that seems to really hinder the alarm.

I spoke with my account rep about this a couple of weeks ago. He said they know about the issue and are fixing it in the next firmware. He could not tell me when that firmware would be released. Fingers crossed!

For all who follow this post. I can confirm that firmware 3.2.3 does NOT fix this problem. Very disappointing.

For all who follow this post. I can confirm that firmware 3.2.3 does NOT fix this problem. Very disappointing.

Unfortunately yes, and we’ve received the same response stating that it is known and being worked on. Surprisingly slow turn around given the type of issue. I know a lot of effort was likely diverted for the E-series release.

I understand the need for the e series… I was actually happy to see the release, but for heavens sake… fix your bugs! The last time I called about it they said it was by design! AHHHHG… NO WAY! Fix this crap!

Conflicting reports. One call said they were working on it, the other said it was by design. Which is it? If it is by design, what settings do I need to change to make things work?

This is a frustrating issue for sure. We have been told by 2GIG techs that it is a known issue and is being worked on however no ETA is available. It is unlikely that the issue is by design.

Nothing was released in the most recent firmware of 3.2.3 and there are no settings to fix the issue at this time.

They will tell you to set it up as interior with delay (sensor type 10)

That makes the motion sensor work like an entry/exit 1 where you have time to disarm the system. NOT COOL!

Hi Everyone,
I’m knew here and joining the convo as I’m experiencing the same problem and seeking answers. 1 month ago I was upgraded from a GC2 panel to a GC3. Since day 1 of installing the GC3 I’ve been getting false alarms over 50% of the time I enter the house to disarm (only while I’m entering my code on keypad…not while I’m walking across the sensor’s path). I’ve had the installer out 3 diff times and they keep charging $, which I refuse to pay more, as this is a defunked install. Has there been any forward movement on this topic since the last post? My panel is only 1 month old. Would I benefit by claiming manufacturer warranty…or does this truly apply to all GC3 Panels (via the firmware version)? Or should I just use this as an opportunity to claim defect, cancel my contract, and go with a diff company/equip…such as qolsys? Thanks for the help!

I’m sorry to hear you’ve had so many issues. Yes, this is a known issue with firmware 3.2+ on the GC3. There is no fix for it yet (will check again with 2GIG), but it can be worked around by changing the Motion Detector type to (10) Interior with Delay.

Would I benefit by claiming manufacturer warranty…or does this truly apply to all GC3 Panels (via the firmware version)?

No, it applies to any GC3 with firmware 3.2+

You would need 3.1.3 firmware or older on a GC3 for this not to occur.

It is a known and frustrating issue. The more users vocalize disappointment the more likely it will be resolved quickly by Nortek of course. We have contacted 2GIG a good deal regarding this. I’m fairly confident that the error is due to some interaction with the new Partitions (Smart Areas) so I am not sure how difficult it would be to fix.

I can’t speak to another dealer’s policies and billing choices, but there would be no reason to continually pay someone regarding this because there are only two real work-arounds: changing the sensor type to (10) Interior with Delay, or simply do not put a motion detector anywhere between the entry sensor and the panel location, but this second option often defeats the purpose of the detector.

Hi, I’ve been having this same issue for a while now and it’s very frustrating.

I’m forwarding this thread, your other linked thread, and other reports of this to Nortek again today.

1 Like

No traction on this issue? It is still occurring on my system. Close to a year now. Does 2gig even admit it is an issue?

Sadly there is not much traction that I am aware of. I always suspected that it would be quietly patched rather than there be a whole lot of information about it, but I had suspected it would already be patched by now.

2GIG support reps have acknowledged previously that they heard the report often, and began suggesting changing the zone type to 10 to work around the issue.

I’m pretty surprised by the low priority this seems to have been given by the manufacturer. But since we haven’t had much of an official response on this, any reasons why it is taking so long would be guesses. I have sent a couple of anniversary emails over the past week to a handful of Nortek reps. I am awaiting a reply.

Thank you. If possible, could you please post, or summarize, their reply.

Just chiming in here. I upgraded a panel from 3.1.x to 3.2.4 and this bug showed up right away. I didn’t know of this issue so I called into ADC today, they didn’t know anything about it. They bridged me over to Nortek/2GIG and the tech confirmed they know about it and that there’s not a fix yet which I’m inferring means 3.2.5 is also broken. I was pretty disappointed to find out here that it’s been going on for over a year with no resolution. I’m on a GC3 non-e. Changed it to type 10 for now since it’s the only workaround. I’m reaching out to my Nortek rep and my local distis to apply pressure from there, too. Hope you guys can do the same to get this some attention and fixed.

Positive news in that the response I got from my recent emails was far more direct to the issue than prior replies. I believe we should see a fix soon. I’m supposed to be speaking to the Nortek Product Development team today.

which I’m inferring means 3.2.5 is also broken

Yes, we are testing but 3.2.5 was not intended to resolve the issue.

1 Like

Just a follow up, I’m not sure what caused the delay, as they would not specifically state the cause, but Nortek Product Development (not sales or tech support individuals) confirmed they are working on this bug, and they were extremely apologetic about it. The behavior was definitively recreated by their engineers and we should see a fix soon. Which upcoming firmware version it hits depends on when they are able to get a fix tested and approved.

Thank you Jason for following up on this. Much appreciated.