motion sensor false alarm

Setting it to Smart Area 2 hasn’t triggered an alarm, yet. However, even when it was on area #1, it would only do it about once or twice a week. I’ve switched back to area 1, and it hasn’t done it in four days (although previous tests showed switching it back to area 1 didn’t fix the issue, either.)

I’ll alternate the motion detector being assigned to area 1 and area 2 and keep testing.

Would love to know if you were successful and if so, what you did. I am experiencing the same issue. A power cycle did nothing. I don’t want to re-add my motion sensors if it is a firmware bug.

Any idea if there was a fix in the latest firmware?

I don’t want to re-add my motion sensors if it is a firmware bug.

Any idea if there was a fix in the latest firmware?

The latest firmware does not specifically state that this is addressed.

Removal and re-adding motion detectors is part of the suggested resolution reported by a couple users. Power cycling the panel and re-programming motion detectors was reported to resolve the issue in a couple cases.

Well, the issue is back, after many weeks of working after power cycling the panel and re-programming the motion detector. Now it does it almost every time when I go to disarm the panel. I’m running 3.2.0, but will try upgrading the firmware to see if they fixed it without mentioning it in the release notes.

I hate to be negative, I really do, but, the firmware doesn’t fix it. Since, 2gig doesn’t communicate with anyone (as far as I can tell, I may be wrong), and very few people are experiencing the issue, who knows if or when it will be fixed. The latest suggestion was to try smart areas and put your motions in smart area 2 (I see now you have already tried this). Problem is, smart areas take extra actions to arm and disarm. My family is already fed up. The huge problem is that multiple false alarms tend to make people complacent. “Oh, that is just another false alarm.” I hope there is some movement soon. Good luck with the firmware upgrades, you will get a fancy slide show on your gc3 if you so desire.

Anyone know what the warranty is on the GC3 panel? Maybe 2GIG will get the hint when I send it back to them.

Anyone know what the warranty is on the GC3 panel? Maybe 2GIG will get the hint when I send it back to them.

We are still reporting and working with 2GIG to identify and resolve the issue. The prior post is correct it does not occur on all systems and is proving difficult to recreate, but it seems to definitely be tied to 3.2+ firmware currently and the addition of smart areas.

When was your GC3 purchased? The exact manufacturer’s warranty on the panel will depend on when it was purchased, with some of the more recently purchased 2GIG products having their warranties extended. I’m double checking the exact cut-off now and will get back to you here.

The huge problem is that multiple false alarms tend to make people complacent. “Oh, that is just another false alarm.” I hope there is some movement soon.

This is absolutely right, and is a major issue with inconsistent device performance. We’ll push hard for a fast and complete resolution.

As frustrating as it is, I do appreciate your efforts. Thank you.

Hello - We are seeing the same issue with many of our GC3 panels. I have spoke with Nortek several times about it and they keep telling me that the motion sensor is seeing movement before the Entry/Exit sensor is tripped. From the beginning I called BS on that answer, but getting them to confirm a bug is out of the question I believe.

The only way to keep the MS from causing false alarms is to set the zone as an interior follower with delay. I realize this is not an ideal solution long term, but it will resolve the issue until there is a fixed firmware.

If anyone hears about a correct fix, please post it here.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip on the delay. I finally disabled the follower a few days ago because I couldn’t stand the alarm going off every other day (it seems to be getting worse), but the delay seems like a better work-around until they fix the problem with a firmware update.

You are very welcome. We have had to do this with quite a few accounts after upgrading them to 3.2+ firmware. Any new installs we automatically change the motions that the customer may cross paths with on the way to the panel.

Have a great day!

When was your GC3 purchased? The exact manufacturer’s warranty on the panel will depend on when it was purchased, with some of the more recently purchased 2GIG products having their warranties extended. I’m double checking the exact cut-off now and will get back to you here.

I purchased mine October 16, 2017. Hopefully it’s still under warranty because this bug is a deal-breaker for me.

We have had to do this with quite a few accounts after upgrading them to 3.2+ firmware. Any new installs we automatically change the motions that the customer may cross paths with on the way to the panel.

I am going to discus with 2GIG/Nortek, now that another dealer has confirmed this issue occurs on some panels with 3.2 firmware, we may be able to push to get some additional info from them. I haven’t heard exact details but I imagine this is definitely being worked on for an upcoming firmware release.

I purchased mine October 16, 2017. Hopefully it’s still under warranty because this bug is a deal-breaker for me.

The warranty on that panel from that purchase date would be one year through 2GIG.

Jason - To be clear, we have this issue with EVERY GC3 we have upgraded/installed with 3.2+ firmware.

Both with standard 2GIG-PIR1-345 AND with wired motion sensors going through a 2GIG-Take-345.

I also agree that, “the motion sensor is seeing movement before the Entry/Exit sensor is tripped” is false. On some of my false alarms, the occupant has walked 10-15 feet to the alarm panel and a motion sensor on the other side of the house from the entry point is what caused the false alarm.

Originally the account we noticed the issue on there is a motion sensor directly across the garage from the door. We didn’t have any issues with the MS tripping the alarm before upgrading to 3.2+ The next day after the upgrade we got an alarm on that customer account. We called and discussed the issue with them. Nothing different had happened.

Calling Nortek we got the BS answer about the motion sensor seeing the user through the glass on the door before it was opened resulting in the alarm. I argued until I was blue in the face. No luck. An interior with delay was programmed on that MS and two others that were causing false alarms. One MS in particular isn’t even looking near the door but can see the user once they get to the panel. At this point I realized 2GIG was blowing smoke up my rear. This is the first thread that I’ve found that user/dealers talk about the issue.

Jason – To be clear, we have this issue with EVERY GC3 we have upgraded/installed with 3.2+ firmware.

Both with standard 2GIG-PIR1-345 AND with wired motion sensors going through a 2GIG-Take-345.

Thank you for following up. We actually couldn’t get a couple test panels to reproduce this locally on 3.2+ firmware. I’m not sure if there is a set of circumstances that need to be in place for it to trigger, or if it is intermittent. We have had users report it happening in some cases and not in others.

The model of detector should have zero impact, it is a panel process determining how it reacts to a sensor signal. I don’t know what their software code looks like but it could be a timing issue in the panel where the software does not correctly check or apply a certain value. My own guess is it is directly caused by “smart areas” code.

turskro, you mentioned to set the zone as an interior follower with delay. I just tried this (Entry delay 1 set to 60 seconds), and I walked through the front door (set as Entry/Exit 1), and the alarm went off instantly. Any ideas of what I’m doing wrong? When I disabled the follower, the problem went away, so I believe the front door is set up correctly. Thanks again!

Timmerk - Interesting. Did you setup the door as interior with delay or the motion sensor? It’s the MS you want to change. We have not had any issues since changing the MS to interior with delay.

Thanks!

turskro - I set up the motion detector as an interior with delay, but I did change it to no transmission delay… I thought no point in adding a transmission delay after the exit 1 delay. I wonder if that could be the problem?