2gig to qolsys?

will a single PG9935 protect both glass panes in the sliding window and door in the hypothetical image below as long as W and H are no more than 4’ and 8’ respectively? does the PG9935 ship with a magnet?

The PG9935 is meant to be mounted on an monitor a door frame of 7 to 8ft in height and 1 to 4 ft in length. It is meant to monitor any glass within that parameter as well.

While one PG9935 may cover the entirety of the sliding glass door in the picture, you may need two sensors for each part of the door.

Additionally, the sliding door itself may inadvertently trigger the shock sensor when opening/closing. Local testing would be advised in this case.

It does include a magnet

how much more technical knowledge and hardware is required to defeat power g compared to s line signals? are there many known examples of s-line systems that were breached where power g would have not have been?

Couldn’t say as we have not seen any examples of either S-Line or PowerG being defeated.

Would an anker bluetooth speaker broadcast the siren when the alarm is activated?

Bluetooth speaker with the panel is used for remote voice annunciations, chimes and two-way voice. I do not believe it works with the siren (don’t have one to test. ) will reach out to Qolsys and confirm if that has changed.

what’s the best solution to get both chimes and siren amplified?

You could use the Anker speaker for Chimes and a separate z-wave siren, like the IQ Siren QZ2300-840, for alarm events.

thanks

what is the significance of this possibility? wouldn’t both the shock and open/close loops be enrolled as perimeter sensors, so either way one wouldn’t really care what triggers the alarm whether an intruder enters by opening the door or breaking the glass? or am i missing something?

Would an anker bluetooth speaker broadcast the siren when the alarm is activated?

Confirmed with Qolsys, this does not trigger the Siren through the Anker speaker.

what is the significance of this possibility?

Correct, apologies, you shoudln’t have to worry about that as you would program that type of sensor as Door/Window-M, Group 13 Instant Perimeter D/W.

You would just need to test to determine if one centrally located sensor would cover both sides of the sliding glass door.

great thanks

Why is surety recommending Qolsys over 2gig?

Because we feel that Qolsys is currently the best experience with an Alarm.com compatible alarm panel, with the easiest programming, the most rapid development, the widest and most secure set of available sensors, and access to features no other panels in the ecosystem offer. Here’s another description of the difference.

Conversely 2GIG has left some frustrating and questionable bugs present in the GC3, which despite 2 years of numerous and frequent reports and complaints from multiple dealers, have gone unresolved through 4 subsequent firmware releases.

The GC2 and GC3 are still solid platforms, but development has slowed and the panels were replaced by the GC2e and GC3e. These encrypted models improve security by using encrypted sensors, but the GC3e still has the same fundamental firmware problems because it shares firmware with the regular GC3.

Nick, thank you for a very complete answer. I was thinking of upgrading my GC2 and may now want to consider Qolsys. After skimming the posts, am I correct to state that I can but a new Main and remote panel and keep all my 2 Gig sensors (contact and motion) and all my Zwave devices (Linear Garage DOor, Kwickset locks, Schlage locks)?

Yes, but you would need to make sure to get the correct version. There are three different radio models of the IQ Panel 2+. You would need the 345Mhz legacy radio version found here.

If I ordered the Legacy version, would that mean I would lose some features from the standard version? In short, does it do everything the standard version does? Encryption (if I by encrypted senors going forward for example)

There are three versions, all three have the PowerG radio for encrypted, spread-spectrum frequency hopping sensors (basically the top industry option), then each has one legacy radio, either 319.5 (GE, S-Line), 345 (2GIG, Honeywell), or 433 (DSC).

The only thing you lose is access to the other legacy sensor types, the big one being S-Line encrypted sensors, but you only get one no matter the model you choose, and if upgrading sensors I would recommend PowerG anyway as they have the best security and feature set.

I emailed qolsys and they also said they don’t know when the firmware update will come out.

Is the power g translator otherwise the same as the hardwire 16 in terms of functionality and setup? Does it completely replace the legacy grid like the hardwire 16? Could two of the power g translators be installed in the legacy can if 16 zones are desired?

Any reason the panel couldn’t be plugged into and mounted over a recessed receptacle? Would the hole required to accommodate the receptacle and extra wiring leave enough wall to mount the panel over the hole?

Is the power g translator otherwise the same as the hardwire 16 in terms of functionality and setup?

Are you referring to the DSC hardwire takeover module? Looking at the installation manual, the wiring process looks similar but since it is not compatible yet, I could not tell you if the process is the same with regards to panel pairing and functionality. Its likely quite similar as the concept is largely the same.

Any reason the panel couldn’t be plugged into and mounted over a recessed receptacle? Would the hole required to accommodate the receptacle and extra wiring leave enough wall to mount the panel over the hole?

That should work, although you will want to mind the antenna tail so that it doesn’t rest up against the wiring or any metal (which will affect the signal).

Keep in mind the panel is 5" in height, so if your’e mounting it directly over the receptacle, you’d want to make sure the panel covers the whole hole and sits flush with the wall.

Can the panel be hardwired to a live wire?

No, the included transformer should be used for power applications. Doing anything else may void warranty and/or cause damage to the panel.

With the release of 2.5.3 do you have an ETA for when you’ll start stocking the PG9WLSHW8? Is this translator functionally equivalent to the hardwire 16 in terms of installation, setup, etc?

I do not have an ETA yet, but I would imagine soon.

It is functionally similar but has some added capability, including support for 4-wire smokes and 4-wire CO circuits.

Ok thanks

Have you guys had any experience yet, or heard of any experiences, good or bad, with the PG9WLSHW8? I’m wondering how it will compare with the hardwire 16 in real world experience considering both the hardware and firmware are new.

No, I’ve not installed one yet, but as soon as I do I’ll be happy to do a comparison .