Monitored Auto water shut off

You should just be able to edit the sensors programming, you don’t have to re-enroll it.

Sensor Type Freeze, Group 52 triggers an alarm when sensor detects low temp.

thanks Tyler. Actually, I did enroll it as a 52, but for some reason its not showing up on my list of sensors for the automation rule page, but it does show on on my list of devices in my settings page. Might be some back-end issue that I have to discuss with my dealer.

Just wanted to follow up on this, turns out that in order for me to get this to work, I do have to change the sensor to an alarm causing status. At the moment, its only a notification. But…reading the QolSys manual (and your comments), it says group 52 sensors are alarm causing? I’m a little confused. Something about not having to notify the emergency services that your temp sensors are going off.

Let me do some more digging, see if there is anything else that can be done, specifically not generating an alarm for the freeze sensor. Ill post back with any more info I can find.

I’m a little confused. Something about not having to notify the emergency services that your temp sensors are going off.

Is the concern here just how the central station will react to the temperature signal being sent? You may want to check with them, or your dealer, to confirm how that is acted upon.

There appears to be a new group, Group 51 which is Freeze (non-reporting)
This should be available in FW 2.5.0, although there is no ETA on when that FW will be released.

This may allow the sensor to work as a freeze sensor but still be integrated into the automation rule but may still rely on some tweaking on the back end.

Thanks, Tyler. I think the concern is that they want the central stations to get “real” emergencies, so a flood/freeze sensors is basically the homeowners emergency, so it shouldn’t be an alarm…something like that.

But what is weird is the sensor is group 52 as is and I haven’t tried to trip it, but will it just send me a notification or will cause an alarm? If the latter, should it not show up as an alarm sensor to set this automation?

I guess I will have to wait till the FW is released (i’m version 2.4.2 I think…), maybe 51 is what is required here.

Group 52 Freeze generates an alarm. If the IQ Temp hits the necessary threshold to trigger an alarm, the alarm will sound and you will get a notification for the alarm event.

Group 51 should take care of this by generating a signal with no alarm. You would then be able to create a notification for it should the threshold be met.

1 Like

Hi, i just purchased a Dome and have included it in my Qolsys 2. In Alarm.com, set up 2 new scenes “water shut off” for ARM AWAY and “water on” for DISARM but cannot figure out how to tell it to activate the valve? Any help is appreciated

Forgot to say i had water management added to my adc account. When i press the water i on in app, it says no association to a water device. How do i associate to work?Tia

If the water valve is reporting to Alarm.com, it should show up in the Water Card and you should be able to turn it on/off via the button there.

A couple questions: Are you able to control the valve from the panel?

Is the device showing up in your device list on Alarm.com (Settings -> Devices -> Automation Devices)?

Not able to control from panel
Not showing up in devices on adc, though does say “Dome came on line” in app history
I went up to interactive gold so can try to use it as a zwave light swich. Hope that will give me rule making capability for light on or off when arm away and or disarm.

hi, just wanted to chime in here, Dome is not an officially supported alarm.com device (as a water valve at least) and therefore, you may not see it on the water card. It will be a light switch online and on the app. However, this shouldn’t prevent you from making an automation once it shows up as a light switch.

Thanks, i know. I have it as a light. i have it working somewhat now with scene for of and scene on
Still cannot get it to be reliable when arm and disarm

Now shows as a light and works when arm disam from app, but does not work when arm disarm from panel. Are those arm and disarm scenes differect?

Hi, just want to clarify, are you setting up Alarm.com scenes or automation rules? Both words have been used but they are different things in ADC.

It sounds like what you are looking for is an automation rule which automatically turns off the Dome when the panel is armed from any source. Is that correct? Do you want it to always be shut off when armed?

Scenes in Alarm.com are different, where you can create a scene, define all the actions that will be taken, and then when you run that scene they will all occur. This is not automating events, it is just grouping a number of actions together.

To help clarify, this post goes over how to create automation rules (specifically based on Geo-services, but you would follow same early path and select when armed away). This post goes over how to create scenes.

I just want to be sure you’re setting up rules instead of scenes if your intention is to have this always occur no matter how the panel is armed.

Thanks Jason, that became evident, and i got it working …
Now on the vslve, its not strong enough to open and close my 1” ball valve. It either stalls or grinds. Not happy about that.
Will contact Dome.
Thanks all for guiding me thru the zwave and alarm.com

Just updated my panel to FW 2.5 and was able to change my freeze sensor to group 25 vs 52. I set up the automation, but it was a little strange because it’s a thing Dome light, and the sensor was described as when being open or closed. I’m going to assume the IQ Temp is normally closed then opens when it reaches its target temp. Safe assumption?

How the sensor functions internally doesn’t really matter in this case, because the state is being translated so to speak. Alarm.com is seeing a no-response zone type and labeling it as Open or Closed because the zone type suggests a generic door/window zone and the panel is reporting that generic state.

In ADC “Open” would indicate that the sensor is activated (temp alert occurring), and “Closed” would be when it is not activated (no temp alert occurring).

thanks for that explanation. Could this explain why the sensors I changed are showing up as (OK) in my list of devices but then say (status unknown)? Do I have to trip the sensor once so it knows what is off or on? I changed it over 12 hrs ago, sometimes it takes time on its own.

Yes, typically if you see a Status Unknown for a sensor it just means ADC has not received a status report from the panel yet for that zone. Activating the zone will typically resolve that.