Monitored Auto water shut off

My homeowners insurance company is requiring an auto water shutoff valve for detected water leaks and low temperature.
They are also wanting it to signal alerts to my central monitored alarm system, which is a Qolsys Panel 2.
Any info as to suppliers for this application are appreciated.
Thank you,
Rick

What you are looking to achieve is possible.

This utilizes a flood/temp sensor to detect leaking/flooding water and a Z-wave Water Valve would control water flow.

These two components work together to detect water leaks and overflows. After creating the appropriate automation rule, the sensor can automatically turn off the water supply by sending a signal from the flood sensor to the security panel, then from the security panel to the main valve when the water sensor is triggered. These sensors can also turn off the water supply when potentially freezing temperatures are detected.

You would need:

• Z-wave Water Valve
  • an RF Flood/Temp sensor

It is worth noting that, as the Z-wave Water Valve requires cutting into water bearing pipes for installation, a certified plumber is most likely needed for the install.

The IQ panel 2+ (2.4.0 and above) is compatible with the FortrezZ Water Valve (WV-01)
The IQ Flood Detector would be a compatible RF sensor.

These sensors can also turn off the water supply when potentially freezing temperatures are detected.

I have a Dome Auto-water shut-off (over the valve type) and IQ temp sensors. Do you know if I can create this automation? I tried, but it wasn’t obvious how.

You should just be able to create an Automation rule in Alarm.com to Automate your Water Valve when an Alarm event occurs.

You should then be able to select the temp sensor as the trigger for the alarm.

oh that explains it! I think I added the IQ Temp as non-alarm causing sensors, or its a group 52 sensor…because it is not showing up on the pull-down under alarm.

Yeah , try adjusting the sensor in programming to cause an alarm. It should then show up in the drop down for the automation rule.

thanks, could you please remind me again which group that would be? and I can change it without having to re-enrol it?

You should just be able to edit the sensors programming, you don’t have to re-enroll it.

Sensor Type Freeze, Group 52 triggers an alarm when sensor detects low temp.

thanks Tyler. Actually, I did enroll it as a 52, but for some reason its not showing up on my list of sensors for the automation rule page, but it does show on on my list of devices in my settings page. Might be some back-end issue that I have to discuss with my dealer.

Just wanted to follow up on this, turns out that in order for me to get this to work, I do have to change the sensor to an alarm causing status. At the moment, its only a notification. But…reading the QolSys manual (and your comments), it says group 52 sensors are alarm causing? I’m a little confused. Something about not having to notify the emergency services that your temp sensors are going off.

Let me do some more digging, see if there is anything else that can be done, specifically not generating an alarm for the freeze sensor. Ill post back with any more info I can find.

I’m a little confused. Something about not having to notify the emergency services that your temp sensors are going off.

Is the concern here just how the central station will react to the temperature signal being sent? You may want to check with them, or your dealer, to confirm how that is acted upon.

There appears to be a new group, Group 51 which is Freeze (non-reporting)
This should be available in FW 2.5.0, although there is no ETA on when that FW will be released.

This may allow the sensor to work as a freeze sensor but still be integrated into the automation rule but may still rely on some tweaking on the back end.

Thanks, Tyler. I think the concern is that they want the central stations to get “real” emergencies, so a flood/freeze sensors is basically the homeowners emergency, so it shouldn’t be an alarm…something like that.

But what is weird is the sensor is group 52 as is and I haven’t tried to trip it, but will it just send me a notification or will cause an alarm? If the latter, should it not show up as an alarm sensor to set this automation?

I guess I will have to wait till the FW is released (i’m version 2.4.2 I think…), maybe 51 is what is required here.

Group 52 Freeze generates an alarm. If the IQ Temp hits the necessary threshold to trigger an alarm, the alarm will sound and you will get a notification for the alarm event.

Group 51 should take care of this by generating a signal with no alarm. You would then be able to create a notification for it should the threshold be met.

1 Like

Hi, i just purchased a Dome and have included it in my Qolsys 2. In Alarm.com, set up 2 new scenes “water shut off” for ARM AWAY and “water on” for DISARM but cannot figure out how to tell it to activate the valve? Any help is appreciated

Forgot to say i had water management added to my adc account. When i press the water i on in app, it says no association to a water device. How do i associate to work?Tia

If the water valve is reporting to Alarm.com, it should show up in the Water Card and you should be able to turn it on/off via the button there.

A couple questions: Are you able to control the valve from the panel?

Is the device showing up in your device list on Alarm.com (Settings -> Devices -> Automation Devices)?

Not able to control from panel
Not showing up in devices on adc, though does say “Dome came on line” in app history
I went up to interactive gold so can try to use it as a zwave light swich. Hope that will give me rule making capability for light on or off when arm away and or disarm.

hi, just wanted to chime in here, Dome is not an officially supported alarm.com device (as a water valve at least) and therefore, you may not see it on the water card. It will be a light switch online and on the app. However, this shouldn’t prevent you from making an automation once it shows up as a light switch.

Thanks, i know. I have it as a light. i have it working somewhat now with scene for of and scene on
Still cannot get it to be reliable when arm and disarm