IQ Panel 4 not connecting to Smartthings hub as a secondary Z-wave controller

Sorry I missed your post. I keep an eye out to see if there are any updates that will fix this problem but I guess I am the only one who wants to use the IQ Panel 4 as a secondary controller. I am currently using an alarm .com integration with HomeAssistant to pass the messages but is isn’t perfect.

I have the DSK, I do not have a QR code which is what the panel is looking for to initiate the secure connection. I tried creating QR codes using the DSK but didn’t have any luck. I am guessing the QR code includes device information, protocols, etc…

I somewhat regret my transition over to the IQ Panel family, especially for home automation / security. If I was interested in security only I would say it is adequate for a home setup. The lack of support for setting it up as a secondary zwave controller really eliminates it for any kind of basic + home automation.

I keep an eye out to see if there are any updates that will fix this problem

Nothing specific has been listed in recent firmware updates. Patch notes can be found here for the IQ Panel 4.

but I guess I am the only one who wants to use the IQ Panel 4 as a secondary controller.

You arent the only user who is interested in this pairing and we have passed this information to Qolsys in the past.

Thanks for the update, sorry the conversion didn’t help. Nothing new here, still haven’t found a DSK from my Simon xt to enable security with the Aotec Gen7.

rob55d, I too have a new IQ Panel 4 that I am about to install and planned on making it a secondary controller to my Homeseer ZNet primary controller so I’m bracing my self for failure and frustration. I’ve been using Z-Wave for ten+ years so I’m used to it!:slightly_smiling_face:
I realize this probably will not help your situation but at least it will be another data point (or I’ll get to join you in the call for Qolsys to update their firmware!)

Looking forward to hearing your results. I have not tried it again recently since there hasn’t been another update on my panel.
Maye it is my panel since and I just haven’t heard of anyone else having success. I do not use the IQ Panel 4 z-wave controller for anything else except hopefully as a secondary controller to bridge alarm.com to my HomeAssistant controller someday.

rob55d, my attempt to add my new IQ Panel 4 as a secondary z-wave controller to my Homeseer ZNet interface failed. I moved my ZNet right next to my IQ Panel 4, commanded my Homeseer to “send controller information to secondary controller” then went to my IQ Panel 4 under “Add Z-Wave/Add/Remove Controller” and pressed it. My Homeseer ZNet saw the IQ Panel 4 Z-Wave Controller was ready to receive information because it wrote to the log “sending z-wave network information”. Then about five seconds later the IQ Panel 4 pops up a message instructing me to “send the following pin code to the other controller…” Well, Homeseer has no provision to input or send a pin code, it’s just sitting there saying “here, take it!” so nothing happened and eventually both sides timed out and reported the failure.
Qolsys needs to rethink their implementation of this command I think. I’ve never seen the pin code requirement before. Also, I was almost happy there was no way to input the pin code on the Homeseer side sense the IQ Panel 4 gave me a forty digit pin code!!! :crazy_face:
(I didn’t actually count the number of digits, but it didn’t fit on one line!!!)

I might give it another try this weekend. I have to move my HomeAssistant server closer to the IQ Panel which usually entails dragging out an extra long ethernet cable just for this set up. I did see the panel try and connect once but it also timed out then never saw the panel again.

I created a support request ticket asking for a “work around” to the 40 digit PIN code Qolsys wants. If it wasn’t for that perhaps my attempt could have been successful!! (BTW, I used a 50 foot Ethernet patch cable to get my ZNet next to my alarm panel! :rofl:)

We received your ticket in Alarm.com and forwarded the details to Qolsys for review. They should be able to help describe what is possible.

The “40 Digit Code” is the S2 DSK (device specific key). This is needed for S2 inclusion, which may or may not be supported on your current controller.

In general it isn’t an officially supported process on any specific controller.

My ZNet does support S2 Security. The last three or four switches I’ve added did also so when I included them in my network I input their DSK’s so the controller can use S2 for communication. From what I read there’s little to no reason to use S2, S0 security is more than secure enough unless you’re defending against the FSB or Chinese equivalent. In any case, I would be happy to forgo S2 if that would allow me to add my existing network to IQ4 Panel! Thanks for checking into this!

Sorry this comment turned a little longer than I intended… I spent the better part of the weekend finally getting the IQ Panel 4 setup as a secondary controller in HA. It was not an easy process, and I wouldn’t recommend it unless you know what you are doing. But thought I’d share a few of my findings:

The current size/state of the network may impact if and how the IQ Panel will pair as a secondary. I tested successfully pairing on a clean/reset controller, reset again before rebuilding network and added ~50 devices, and then no matter what I did, the IQ Panel refused to join. The primary is never prompted for the DSK, only a few initial messages are exchanged according to the logs, and the IQ Panel Z-Wave radio seems to freeze up. It took rebooting or turning off/on the radio to do anything else (usually would get a “busy” error message until then). Nothing I did would allow it to pair, either using Z-Wave PC Controller or zwavejs in HA. Not sure if it just didn’t like the size of the network, the node IDs it was provisioned, or something else. When I then reset the primary controller, the IQ panel had zero problems joining.

Next I tried pairing it to the controller when there were ~20 devices on the network… this time it joined, but did not join as an inclusion controller. The include/clear buttons were locked out (stating that this must be done from the primary). Problem here is there is not a reliable way to update the IQ Panel as additional devices are added to the network, or if it didn’t learn everything initially. Some controllers will periodically query for new nodes if they are configured as a secondary, but it is not apparent that the IQ Panel implements this. You could clear and re-include the IQ Panel to the primary, but then you have to beware of encountering the first scenario above, as well as the fact that successfully learning ALL devices during that pair is unlikely.

When joining to a fresh network, or one with just a few devices, I never had any problem joining as a secondary inclusion controller.

When joined as an inclusion controller, beware of S2 issues with the primary controller. S2 makes using secondary controllers a bit more complex. You should check if your primary controller is compliant with the spec on implementing the SIS side of the Inclusion Controller Command Class and S2 bootstrapping. Zwavejs in HA is not compliant (well, yet… they are waiting on some hardware testing according to a PR on their git).

When pairing with S2, the SIS (ideally your primary controller) is responsible for S2 bootstrapping. So if you want the device to show on both the primary controller and the IQ Panel, you would include it to the IQ Panel, and then you should be prompted for the DSK on the primary. Or you could pair directly to the primary first, and then you could later include on the IQ Panel.

This was my ultimate process to getting things working… I used a Zooz 700 USB stick with the Z-Wave PC Controller tool, and have an IQ Panel 4 running the latest firmware.

1. Reset the stick in PC controller. And reset (Remove all Devices option) on the IQ Panel. You should see the “Add/Remove Controller” option appear. Start a remove in PC Controller, and a learn (Add/Remove Controller) on the IQ Panel to clear it. It should only take a few seconds and report successful on both. And then reset them both again for good measure.

2. At the top right in PC controller where the “shield” icon is, copy all the security keys. To ultimately use in HA for example, you need to statically set the keys in the add-on.

3. In PC Controller, set the primary device to be the SIS. If you join the IQ Panel without doing this, it will assume the SIS role, which we don’t want. In the controller info, you should see the role change to “SUC, RealPrimary, SIS, NodeIdServerPresent”.

4. Start an add in PC controller, and a learn on the IQ Panel. PC Controller should learn the IQ panel, and ask for the first 5 keys of the DSK shown on the IQ Panel for inclusion. You should end up learning 5 additional virtual devices as well and it should report successful on both devices. To be sure that bootstrapping all the way to S2 Access was a success, make sure the “Security Scheme” for the IQ Panel node in PC controller is set to Access, and that you can run a Get Node Info without issue. Also on the IQ Panel, the buttons for smart start and provisioning list should have disappeared.

5. To include a device that you want on both the IQ Panel and Primary, start inclusion on the IQ Panel like normal, and then after a few seconds PC controller will pop up asking for the DSK. If all goes according to plan, you should see the new node (with security) in both controllers.

Even though it’s discouraged from including devices with a “mobile” controller, I found this was often the most reliable way of ensuring successful S2 bootstrapping. Including devices was definitely more sensitive than normal, perhaps because there is another controller in the mix. So often I had to move the device, or the controllers to get a reliable pair, and deal with healing the routes later.

Don’t be afraid to reload PC Controller, disable/enable the radio in the IQ panel, or reboot… and often. Both PC Controller and the IQ Panel can be buggy and definitely had moments where they were not behaving as expected, and usually that was a sign to just give it the on/off.

2 Likes

Looks like you have found a path forward. I might try and replicate your method this weekend. I have a several smart switches and door locks so it could be an all weekend trial. Maybe Qolsys can move forward with addressing the issues you have identified if your work gets passed up to them.

Good luck! So far things are working fine, with a few caveats:

1. Once finished including devices with PC Controller, it’s imperative that you make NVM backups. During testing, I was able to switch back and forth between PC controller and HA without issue. But about a week later I went to go add a few more devices and it seemed that the IQ Panel could no longer properly talk to the primary controller. I eventually restored the latest backup and things were back to normal… which tells me that ZWaveJS must have changed/broke something somehow on the USB stick. Also don’t be tempted to try re-including the IQ Panel to the primary thinking it could fix things (like a normal end-point may)… from my initial testing it seems the IQ Panel internally clears itself first, and ends up pairing again as a new device.
  2. How well you can keep device states in sync is going to be questionable. This isn’t an issue with either the IQ Panel or HA or any other controller… just a reality of the Z-Wave protocol. If your end-points support multiple lifeline group associations, that’ll usually keep both controllers in sync for events originated at the end-point (e.g manually triggering a switch). But most devices don’t “echo” their state. So for example if you trigger a switch from HA, the IQ panel may never know about it and assume it’s still on. Some surprising exceptions include the Alarm.com thermostats (requires changing a Z-Wave configuration setting), and my kwikset door lock. At least in HA, you can setup some periodic polling of devices to help with this.
1 Like

I have gotten by with alarm.com integrations to get data for non-critical lights and even somewhat reliable door open/closure status.

The biggest need I have currently is syncing the door codes from alarm.com to my locks. I have not found any workarounds for that yet.

Home assistant automations are far superior to the ones on alarm.com so I can’t see switching back to a qolsys / alarm.com only setup ever again.

I would very much like to replicate your method on my IQ Panel 4 with a 700 Series USB Stick but have a couple of questions. In the lead up to step 1 you say you’re using the Zooz 700 stick and the “Z-Wave PC Controller Tool”. Are you talking about the Silicon Labs tool that comes packaged in their “Simplicity Studio Software Tool”? Or some other software? Also, any special steps taken when you switched from using the “Z-Wave PC Controller Tool” to using HA? How did HA learn all your Z-Wave Nodes? In may case I’ll be switching to Homeseer instead of HA but I’m hoping it will work also.
Thank you so much for the very detailed post on your approach!

Yup I was referring to the Silicon Labs tool. I can’t speak to whether any other controller software would work too (except for zwavejs presently), but that’s what I used.

Other than copying the keys over, no additional pairing steps were needing to populate the devices in HA. Much of the low level state of the network is stored in the controller chipset (such as paired slave devices). Any controller software should automatically pull all the devices during initialization, and only need to interview them to learn all the other attributes.

That sounds great! I’m waiting on delivery of a 700 Series USB Stick and hopefully I’ll be able to give it a try in the next couple of weeks. Will report back with results. Thanks for your help!

I finally got a hold of Z-Wave PC Controller and have been following your steps successfully so far.

Thank you for the very well written instructions and learning points!!

So far so good.

No problem! Glad to hear it’s working for you as well!

I spent most of Sunday getting 16 switches and door locks learned into both controllers. HA is primary and IQ Panel as secondary and I agree, this process is not for the faint of heart.
I was constantly resetting the IQ Panel and the Zooz stick / laptop over and over. Sometimes the process was smooth and worked flawlessly and then my luck would run out and it was back to resetting the stick, restoring the NVM backup and moving forward again.

Some things that made the process smoother for me was:

• Remove - disassociate switches , door locks from both the Zooz stick and the IQ panel regardless of whether it was associated in the past or not.

• Every time I associated a new device I backed up the NVM and that allowed me to continue to make progress even if the radios got hung up

• I did not always need to reboot the IQ panel which takes a long time, most of the time I could just disable the Z-wave radio and then re-enable it and continue on

• Take pictures of the QR code and the pin for every device that has one to keep from having to constantly take off and put back on the wall plates when things don’t go right the first, second, third time.

I can now sync my door locks with Alarm.com again thanks to you. My automations are much more responsive now that I do not have to pull information from alarm.com on alarm sensor data.

I will be upgrading and adding some switches with the zooz 700 series switches since I have some old z-wave devices that were the most stubborn and least reliable.