Does the Qolsys IQ 4 panel resolve some of the z-wave challenges of the 2?

I am considering getting a Z-wave hub. I already have a Qolsys IQ 4 Panel. Ideally, I would like the option of using the Z-wave hub as a primary z-wave controller, and the IQ4 as a secondary. However, I am fine with vice-versa: IQ4 as primary and hub as secondary.

One of the biggest reasons to have the hub for me is not so much the greater automation features, but the ability to update firmware, hence some ambivalence.

From what I have read online it appears there are/were all kind of problems for the IQ2. What about the IQ4?

Could I, say, get a simple Zooz 800 USB stick and make it either a primary or secondary Zwave controller with my IQ4?

Secondary Controller Z-wave options are not officially supported on the IQ Panel. Some users have reported levels of success and a good thread with a description of the steps taken is below:

1 Like

Thank you, Jason. After reading that thread, I think I’ll keep the IQ 4 as the primary z-wave controller and try using Silicon Labs’ Simplicity Studio as the secondary controller just to update firmware on z-wave devices.

I’m pretty happy with the IQ4 as primary controller anyway right now.

When I get a bit more time, I may try the instructions you linked and attempt to make the IQ4 a secondary controller.