Camera selection advice please!

Hi!

My house is wired with Hikvision POE cameras. I plan to swap them out for ADC. Just checking in, before I dump a bunch of money, that I am thinking about this correctly.

Looking at ADC-VC728PF and ADC-VC838PF, because of somewhat better resolution. I am thinking of using a simple unmanaged switch like Netgear GS116.

My expectation is that all advertised ADC features will work with the setup I have in mind, at the max resolution of the cameras. Local recording, analytics, LED and audio warnings to intruders, immediate notification of persons, two way audio, live view on my Qolsys panels, etc.

Am I right about that? Or any gotchas? And: are there detailed instructions somewhere here that would help me select appropriate components, wire and configure?

Happy to assist!

Local recording
local recording can be achieved via connected CSVR or Onboard Recording via SD Card.

Video Analytics
Both cameras are compatible with video analytics features which can be used

Business Activity Analytics
However, Alarm.com’s Business Activity Analytics is not supported by Surety as we do not offer Alarm.com Commercial service plans/video.

LED and audio warnings
Both cameras work with Perimeter Guard but only the ADC-VC728PF can utilize the audio alert features.

Live View on Qolsys panel
Both are Compatible with live stream, but not with two-way audio on the panel

Installation
In addition to the camera, both require the following for installation:

• AC power adapter (required for non-PoE connections) 12V 1A Power Adapter: ADC-VACC-PWR-VC101, sold separately.
  • Router with broadband Internet connection (Cable, DSL, or Fiber Optic) and an open Ethernet port
  • An Ethernet / Cat5e cable

OK Thanks for all the details! I was wondering about those business features :slight_smile:

If I understood you correctly, none of the 4MP cameras can do two way audio. Not a big deal I guess for my prewired cameras high up around the property.

Noisemaker might be useful though. Too bad the turret camera doesn’t have it, seems like an easier drop-in replacement for my situation.

In your experience, is either of those two higher resolution cams better than the other, or have important differentiating features?

You can find an overview of each one below. Specs wise (cmos, resolution, etc) they are nearly identical.

The bullet might be a bit easier to install but the turret has a smaller form factor and may be a less noticeable.

@tyler

Sir

As a followup to this thread on these two cameras.

I have attached a couple photos from your links about perimeter guard, and the “supports LED and audio alert” (ADC-VC728PF) versus “supports LED only” (ADC-VC838PF). It’s my understanding that the 728 bullet camera does NOT support two way audio, is that correct? The reason I ask is because every other camera on the perimeter guard list that supports LED and audio alert have two way audio listed on their spec sheet.

Like the other person that created this thread, I am trying to decide between these two cameras, and from what I can read on the spec sheet and this thread, they are nearly identical as you mentioned. My confusion just comes with if that bullet camera has two-way audio? I am going to use one of these to monitor the driveway and one for the front door.

Lastly, if I choose to do on board recording via a microSD card, I have found conflicting info on the max capacity of the card, 256 versus 512GB.

Thanks!

That model does not support 2 way audio at this time.

The Max size for onboard SD cards is 512, see the guide link below.

@jwcsurety

Thank you!