Switching from Vivint with SkyControl Panel

I have a Vivint system that was installed almost 5 years ago when their SkyControl Panel was fairly new. My understanding is that their panel is locked down and won’t work with any other providers, but I am pretty sure that all of the sensors and components (DW10 & DW20R door sensors, CT100 thermostats, SMKT3 alarms, PIR1 motion sensor, etc.) should be compatible with another 2GIG panel like the GC3.

Does anyone have experience switching from Vivint under this configuration to another Alarm.com provider like Surety, and did everything work properly? Should I be able to just buy a GC3 panel and the cellular module to get back up and running if I decide to cancel my Vivint service?

I also have a couple of cameras (ADC-V520IR) that I don’t use much or need to keep, but I read in another thread by @nakapako about needing to deactivate the Alarm.com account in order to transfer to another one. Since mine are controlled through Vivint, would that be done automatically when I cancel, or is that something I have to get done before I cancel and switch (and what’s the process for that)?

Thanks for any info related to this. Also, what do current users think of Surety? It seems promising so far, but I haven’t run across a lot of recent reviews yet.

Hello there the sensors I believe would work with a new gc3 panel or if the iq panel gen 2 plus 345 as far the video cameras I would highly recommend delating them before canceling but I will say surety is a whole lot better than Vivint or any company’s out there I highly recommend surety

Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure that all of mine are the standard 2GIG sensors and not Vivint-specific (at least that’s what I remember the installer saying) and based on the equipment list, I don’t see anything installed that has been mentioned specifically as not working (like the DW11 or DW21R).

Since you mentioned the IQ Panel, I wasn’t sure about its compatibility with the 2GIG 345 frequency, but after looking I see that most of my devices would be compatible with the Plus version. Is that the preferred panel to go with for someone buying a new one today?

It’s ur preference the Iq panel is way more popular like it offers Bluetooth disarm takes disarm several more features can u send some photos of the devices I got an I could tell ya

This FAQ attempts to cover your Sky Panel situation. As for the cameras, you can delete them yourself by logging into Alarm.com and going to Video -> Settings, choose your camera and select Video Device Info. There’s a Delete This Video Device link at the bottom.

The FAQ seems to confirm what I had already pieced together. Assuming my original installation certificate is correct, these are the types of devices I had installed in January 2015:

V-MP1-345 (Sky Control Panel)
CT100 (Thermostat)
2GIG-DW10-345
2GIG-DW20R-345
2GIG-PIR1-345 (Motion)
2GIG-SMKT3-345 (Smoke Detector)
ADC-V520IR-G

So as long as that is accurate, and the sensors aren’t actually DW11 or DW21R, it sounds like I should be in good shape? Hopefully I got lucky and got in right before they switched over to everything being proprietary so I only have to replace the panel. Sounds like people in the future moving from Vivint will basically have to start over from scratch if they have the other sensors.

I am thinking of going with the IQ 2+ 345. I saw the one on your site (listed as QS9201-1208-840-345, based on the URL) but I think the part number should match what it says on Qolsys (QS9201-5208-840) since the 345 versions are 5208 instead of 1208. Hopefully that’s the right one and the URL is just mislabeled.

I don’t think I’ll end up continuing to use the cameras anyway, but removing them via Alarm.com doesn’t seem to be an option. I’ve never had an Alarm.com login through Vivint. The only method I can find is to delete them from my panel, which (probably) will not unlink them from Alarm.com. If that’s the only casualty of switching, we’re good.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am thinking of going with the IQ 2+ 345. I saw the one on your site (listed as QS9201-1208-840-345 , based on the URL) but I think the part number should match what it says on Qolsys (QS9201-5208-840) since the 345 versions are 5208 instead of 1208. Hopefully that’s the right one and the URL is just mislabeled.

Thank you for bringing that to our attention! Yes, I can confirm that is indeed still the 345 Mhz model on that page, the model in the url is off. I’ll have our team resolve that.

So as long as that is accurate, and the sensors aren’t actually DW11 or DW21R, it sounds like I should be in good shape?

You would not be able to reuse a CT100, unfortunately. Alarm.com no longer supports that model on new accounts. See the related announcement here for more info.

But yes, you should be able to reuse those sensors if you have the model numbers you listed. Those should be stock production 2GIG sensors.

I don’t think I’ll end up continuing to use the cameras anyway, but removing them via Alarm.com doesn’t seem to be an option. I’ve never had an Alarm.com login through Vivint. The only method I can find is to delete them from my panel, which (probably) will not unlink them from Alarm.com

I’m not 100% familiar with their system, but I don’t think the ADC cam would link to the panel, I think they switched to a different back end service and the cams for that service connect to the Sky Panel. I’m not 100% sure, but I do question that model of cam. Would you be able to provide a photo of the camera label?

I switched over from Vivint to Suretyhome/Alarm.com rather easily. Surety support and forum members are the best. You’ll find and get all the help you need!

thanks,

db

1 Like

Thanks @jwcsurety for all of the clarification. Disappointing that the CT100 won’t carry over, but the security portion is my main priority since I never heavily invested in cameras or Z-Wave devices.

But since the thermostats seem to still work for people with older accounts that already had the CT100, would “they” (I assume this is an Alarm.com policy that Surety has no control over) not grant an exception to someone switching over from another provider to make the transition easier? Seems kind of unreasonable if it’s just a technicality of the account signup date, although I can understand them trying to prevent people from purchasing new ones to use going forward. Otherwise, I’ll probably just switch to the “Alarm” plan instead of the “Home” plan.

It does seem like they must do something quirky between Vivint and Alarm.com for these to work with the Sky Panel. I don’t think I’m going bother bringing those over, but for the sake of any future Vivint customers, here are pictures of the model I currently have:

But the model number on the Vivint equipment list had the -G suffix on it, which doesn’t seem to be listed on the camera itself, but it was described as “ADC-V520IR-G GO CONTROL ONLY” so maybe Vivint made some sort of customization to it? That firmware version sticker off to the side makes me a little suspicious about it. Anyway, not a big deal since those aren’t worth keeping as far as I’m concerned, but maybe that will help someone else later.

Thanks @nakapako, that is encouraging. Did you have any of the same sensors/equipment that I have, or were you on Vivint’s earlier line of hardware before the Sky Panel? I’m hoping Vivint didn’t do any custom modifications to the 2GIG sensors until they actually changed the model numbers, but I guess I won’t know for sure until I try it. :crossed_fingers:

But since the thermostats seem to still work for people with older accounts that already had the CT100, would “they” (I assume this is an Alarm.com policy that Surety has no control over) not grant an exception to someone switching over from another provider to make the transition easier?

They did try to make some exceptions at one point early after discontinuing support, but I don’t believe this is possible anymore. I can double check with ADC and report back.

It does seem like they must do something quirky between Vivint and Alarm.com for these to work with the Sky Panel. I don’t think I’m going bother bringing those over, but for the sake of any future Vivint customers, here are pictures of the model I currently have:

That firmware version is not an ADC version unfortunately, I don’t think there is a way to bring those over if they were connected to a Sky Panel.

All the cameras, sensors, glass break, heat/smoke/fire detector I used with Vivint was compatible. I had some wired sensors from a pre-Vivint system that Vivint converted to wireless with a 2GIG Takeover module which was compatible with the GC2 panel as well.

2GIG-DW10-345 window/door sensors
2GIG-SMKT3-345 (Smoke Detector)
2GIG-Takeover-345 module
2GIG-Glass Break (not sure of model)
ADC-V520IR cameras

So the only thing replaced actually was the Skypanel with the GC2 panel.

Thanks, db

1 Like

Thanks for checking on the thermostat situation. If not, it’s not a deal-breaker. But it would be nice and a lot cheaper to just get the higher plan and be able to use what I have than to replace 2 thermostats with new ones–especially since I already have to buy a new panel.

Just make sure to delete remove/delete all your devices from the Vivint Skypanel before you lose access to the panel. I gave Vivint 35 days notice that I would not be renewing and deleted all my devices a couple of days before dropdead date.

Regards,

db

Not to derail the topic, but since you mentioned that, how quickly does that lockout happen? Vivint led me to believe that if I cancel my service, I can still use the panel (arm/disarm, etc.) but the cameras and monitoring would just be disabled. Also I would assume the sensors communicate one-way to the panel, so even if those don’t get deleted, you could link them to a new panel later… or is that incorrect?

Not certain about when or if you are locked out of the Skypanel after the drop dead date. I just didn’t want to take that chance and be unable to use my devices with the GC2.

Regards,

db

Aside from the case of account transfers (not possible with Vivint) it looks like there would not be a way to reuse the CT100 with a new account at this time, unfortunately.

1 Like

Older thread I know, but curious @Jonathan how your alarm transition plan worked out? I am also wanting to switch from vivint to a Qolsys 2+ panel and I have pretty much identical vivint hardware. How compatible was everything in the end?

The sensors and smoke detectors worked fine. The cameras and thermostats did not, but I didn’t need the cameras and I replaced the thermostats. Since my new thermostats have their own app, I didn’t have to get the higher plan (which you can change any time, by the way) to enable home automation features. I’ve been really happy with Surety and if you have questions during the setup they are really helpful also.

The only downside is having to replace that panel, but it’s a one time investment and you get your money back quickly when you’re not paying that Vivint rate. Do make sure you get the version that supports 345 mentioned above to use the 2GIG sensors.

Thanks very much! Yes, all my stuff is 345Mhz, so eyeing that panel. That’s helpful to move forward.