Questions about moving from Vivint

Hey all. Thanks in advance for the advice. I’m a long time Vivint customer with a fairly basic system based on the old 2GIG GC2 panel that we’ve had in this house since mid-2012.

The current set of sensors include:

• 6x 2GIG Door/Window Sensors
  • 3x 2GIG Recessed Door Sensors
  • 1x 2GIG Motion Detector (PIR1)
  • 1x 2GIG Glass Break Detector (GB1)

Even though I could probably replace the cell module in the 2GIG panel, I was leaning towards making a clean break and purchasing the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ (2GIG & Honeywell 345MHz) panel which will theoretically work with my existing sensors.

After reading another thread, I’m now second guessing whether my Door/Window and Recessed door sensors are the 2GIG DW10 and DW20R models or the Vivint specific DW11 and DW21R models that apparently won’t work with the IQ Panel. Is there an easy way to tell for sure? The Door/Window ones I have look exactly like this whereas the pictures of the DW11 I can find online look more plain/rounded. I can’t seem to find a good visual distinction between the DW20R and the DW21R though.

Assuming my sensors are all compatible, do I need to somehow disassociate them with the old panel before they can be used with the new panel?

As far as getting rid of my Vivint contract, the “installation certificate” I was able to download from their website says my contract renews in a bit over 2 weeks from now. Am I screwed in terms of cancelling because it’s less than 30 days? Should I expect to pay an additional month of monitoring? I think the good news is that billing goes to an Amex CC rather than directly against my checking account.

The links to the NOC document from the that a lot of previous posts refer to seem to be broken at the moment (2gigforum.com no longer exists?). But I found a link to a copy on MediaFire that was still working. Do I still need to send this to Amex just like I would have if they were billing my checking account directly?

You referenced my original thread. I do not know the answer regarding how to tell the difference visually between DW10 and DW11 or DW20R vs DW21R, but it was my understanding based on what others said that the 10 and 20 are pure 2GIG and do work, while the 11 and 21 are some Vivint variant that don’t work. You may want to check your original Vivint installation certificate. On mine, it listed the installed equipment and specifies that mine are the DW10 and DW20R versions. EDIT: I just noticed you had your system since 2012. Mine was installed in January 2015, so it seems pretty likely you have the older 2GIG ones.

As for your other questions, I did not have to disassociate the other sensors from Vivint. It seems the way they work is one-way, so you register that particular device ID with the panel and whenever it receives a wireless signal from that ID, it changes the status. For a short time, I had both panels plugged in and could open a door and hear both of them chime and say which room it was.

As far as cancelling Vivint, cancellation takes 30 days, but at the end of the contract you go month-to-month, so you would be stuck paying for an extra month but wouldn’t be locked in to another year or whatever. Also, I think I was able to get a month free included from Surety when I ordered the panel, so I used that and had them overlap while I got my setup done. (And if you don’t want the full automation package from Surety that comes with the free trial, you can downgrade easily at any time before you start your monthly payments.)

To cancel Vivint, I emailed documents@vivint.com, subject “Notice of Cancellation” with my name/phone/account # in the body. I received an auto-reply email confirming they received the email. About 4 days later, I got a confirmation email that they had received my cancellation request and had begun the process. As far as I remember, I don’t think I ever even talked to a person. Once I got Surety set up and tested, I turned off the Vivint panel, kept the sensors, and Vivint stopped billing me. At some point I wasn’t even able to log in to their SkyPanel website anymore because my account was just gone.

Even if you can’t reuse the sensors, I think it’s worth the switch. You can buy more sensors if you have to just like you have to buy that panel for what Vivint charges per month. If you have smoke alarms, the setup is a little funny getting the right loop and group settings on the new panel for the right sensor, but Surety’s support and the forum community is great at helping out with all that if you have questions.

Good luck and I hope that helps!

1 Like

I can’t help much with advice cancelling Vivint, but it looks like the other user here gave some suggestions. This thread discusses a similar question.

Regarding the sensors, if you have an older GC2 and not the Sky panel, you definitely have the 10/20 series standard 2GIG sensors, there wouldn’t be a compatibility concern.

You could reuse the sensors with the Qolsys 345Mhz version panel.

There is no need to remove them from the GC2. Those 345Mhz sensors just broadcast their signal and the panel is programmed to listen for it, they aren’t two way communication devices like Z-wave or PowerG.

You should be able to reuse all the sensors you listed. If you have a TS1 secondary touchscreen it would need replaced or discarded as it would not be compatible.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks everyone. Looking forward to the switch.

Out of educational curiosity, I had one more question. Vivint somewhat recently had me do a firmware update to v1.19.3.1 on my old 2GIG GC2 panel and then sent me an LTE module replacement to self-install (I guess they were too cheap to send a tech). If I did want to keep the 2GIG panel, would I still need the Surety LTE module kit? Or could I feasibly just do something like a SIM swap and re-use the Vivint LTE module?

1.19.3.1 is the newest and final firmware version for the GC2, so that is good there.

Historically Vivint has used GC2 modules that are arbitrarily tied to Vivint for all installs. No other dealer can use those modules, to the detriment of users.

I can’t say whether they still do that, or would do that with the 4G modules. It has been a very long time since they installed new 2GIG GC2 panels.

You can check the module IMEI here and see if it returns any errors or if it is unregistered and available for use.

Worst case you would need the getting started kit with the new module, although you could leave out the firmware cable since you are already at the last version.

One thing you cannot do is swap out the SIM. Only the SIM shipped with the unit must be used. Swapping it out will lock it down.

1 Like

Thanks. The compatibility checker says the IMEI is “not a valid Alarm.com module serial number”. But I’ve already installed and activated it with Vivint. It sounds like if I hadn’t already installed and activated the kit with Vivint, maybe I could have used it (assuming Vivint didn’t ask for it back after cancellation)?

In any case, my Qolsys panel is ordered and Vivint has confirmed receipt of my NOC email.

We have received your cancellation request, submitted 04/14/21, and have attached it to your account. We will review your account and begin the cancellation process. If there are any issues with your request, we will reach out via email.

Thanks for the tip on emailing the NOC, @jdntx.

1 Like

It sounds like if I hadn’t already installed and activated the kit with Vivint, maybe I could have used it (assuming Vivint didn’t ask for it back after cancellation)?

No, if it returns as an invalid number that means it is not the right number to check or it is not a valid Alarm.com module. It could not have been used elsewhere if that is the case.

Just to be 100% on the model, can you post a photo of the panel?

Here’s the panel.

And here’s the LTE module before I had installed it. The IMEI is 15 digits and but the compat checker seemed to ignore the first 5. The serial number was 16 digits

Ok, no problem, I just wanted to be sure it was a GC2, it is. You’ll be able to use the sensors with the new IQ Panel.

Yes, the IMEI will be 15 digits but the last 10 are the important identifier.

Hey all, just wanted to follow up and say thanks.

I got my Vivint cancellation confirmation yesterday after ignoring a couple text messages they sent trying to get me to speak to a rep about staying. They did end up charging me for the extra month of service, but today I got an email saying I’d be getting a prorated refund to my card for the portion of the month after the cancellation was finalized. So that was a nice surprise.

The Qolsys panel install went well and I’m up and running with all the old sensors. Thanks again for the advice and help.

Glad we could be of help! Let us know if you have any questions.