QOLSYS 2 Panel not working (radio not responding)

Good afternoon,

I have had a QOLSYS 2 hub for 4 yrs or so. Today while at work I got an in app notification the “radio not responding” When I got home from work and looked at the hub, the screen is black and they indicator light is flashing green. I unplugged the unit from the wall to try to “reset” it but forgot the unit has an internal rechargeable battery. I plugged it back in and took the front cover off and the rechargeable battery seems fine and is not swollen or anything. When I took the cover off, I think the unit powered itself off…(maybe that is an expected behavior). Anyways, I held the power button in to power up the unit, but unfortunately it is back to a black screen with the same flashing green indicator light… It’s light the unit won’t boot up. ANy suggestions… Thanks!

Similar behavior has been reported previously, and unfortunately troubleshooting has not usually produced results. If you cannot get the panel to boot after an extended power down, it is likely an unrecoverable failure.

Try to power off the system completely for a couple hours, then try booting up. If nothing at first, try holding the side button for about 30 seconds to reboot.

Do you have the version of the IQ Panel 2 that uses the 5.5VDC transformer or 7VDC?

So I was one of the ones that had this happen. 2x on the same panel. Essentially it was trying to power up and would not do so. I did a work around by letting the battery die completely, removing it putting it back in and try to boot with the power on. Im not 100% sure exactly of these steps, but that was the rough idea.

It’s been working for about 6 mos now with no issue since the second time this happened

@jwcsurety Thanks for the reply. I was afraid you were gonna say that. I have the 7 V transformer.

So if I can’t get this powered back up, when I buy a new panel, do I have to add all my devices back to the new one by one? I’m assuming so. That’s going to be some work…lol. What panel are you recommending if I purchase one?

@bobloblaw thanks for the input. I’ll give this a try.

That’s interesting, if the full battery drain helps maybe a panel service is unable to proceed due to the charge level getting stuck below acceptable values and not charging up when plugged in. I believe we have tried a new battery in a prior case, but this is great news if it worked, thank you!

@cpd5215 I would recommend trying this first. Unplug the transformer but leave the panel battery plugged in until fully discharged.

If it comes down to a replacement being necessary, the IQ Panel 2 is no longer manufactured, the IQ Panel 4 would be the direct replacement. We could apply an automatic backup of your sensors and users to the new panel. Any Z-wave devices would need to be paired manually.

I would try the above however as you are very likely seeing the same effect as in that case.

@jwcsurety OK let me make sure I understand correctly. Unplugged the transformer from the wall and keep the battery plugged into the unit itself. Wait until the battery drains completely and the green light stops flashing indicating the unit is out of power. Then plug the battery back into the unit and plug the transformer into the wall and try to power the unit back up?

Yes, I believe that is what the other user indicated as the troubleshooting that was performed. I am cautiously optimistic.

That makes two of us. I will give this troubleshooting a whirl and report back. Thank you guys for the suggestion.

@jwcsurety Hey, one last question …I believe I have a IQ2+…Not exactly sure…but can I purchase a IQ2 and have my sensors function correctly. Anyway you can look at my system on your end and make sure of that…I know there’s not a big difference between the two except the powerG card and maybe something else…I can get my hands on an IQ2 pretty easily…Thanks!

It doesn’t look like you have any PowerG devices, so as long as the legacy radio version is the same that should work, though a backup/restore cannot go backward to the older version I believe. Manual programming would be needed I think.

OK…Can you verify on your end if I do indeed have an IQ2+ please?

You do. Your panel currently has PowerG and 319.5Mhz radios.

Thanks sir.

Well unfortunately it does not look good. Once I unplugged the transformer, the internal rechargeable battery died within about 3 hrs. I then disconnected the rechargeable battery, waited 30 minutes or so, reconnected the battery and then plugged the unit in and powered it up. Still the same black screen with flashing green light. Darn! @jwcsurety , do you know of any success stories with replacing that rechargeable battery and then the unit begins to work again?

I don’t recall that resolving this issue unfortunately. I can’t find any cases looking through history.

Thanks sir… I will purchase an IQ2+ and reach back out for assistance with hopefully migrating some data over to the new unit…I found a few docs dealing with setting up a new unit with backup data. Can you point me to some info that might help me prepare for this? Thanks again!

A guide detailing the backup restore process is below:

1 Like

@jwcsurety

Sir. My IQ4 will be here tomorrow. Does it have to be “activated” by you guys before I can run the setup wizard and install all my devices? I’d hate to bother you guys on the weekend but I really need to get my system back online asap.

Thank you.

Surety pushing the restore of the existing panel backup is only available during business hours, so if you used that restore process we would need to swap the module on Monday.

If you don’t need to use the backup/restore process and plan to manually program sensors or use the wizard instead you can swap the panel assigned to your account at any time 24/7 in the system manager here by expanding the Swap Cellular Module/Panel option.