Qolsys IQ Panel 2 Screen Black Unresponsive

Hi SuretyDIY,

I believe last night that my Qolsys IQ 2 alarm panel died. I have been unable to revive it thus far, although I haven’t yet dismounted from the wall and pulled the internal battery. It was functioning fine, I wet to the panel to turn on two zwave outlets, and when I turned back around the screen was dark and it’s been completely unresponsive ever since.

I just wanted to check to see if you had any suggestions for troubleshooting. If not, I’ll go ahead and order a new panel and contact you when I have it installed so as to swap it out on this account.

Thanks

Attempts to ping the unit have been unsuccessful. Did you happen to have a power outage?

You will want to power down the unit completely, Transformer first, then internal battery and wait about 2 minutes before powering the unit back up, battery first then transformer. You will want to ensure that the power was connected properly and that there were no pinched wires as well. Any Change?

What about the outlet that the panel is plugged into, is it working as expected?

Sorry for the slow response. So I checked the outlet, polarity, grounding, all good and of course powered up. No power surges, no wind storms, nothing out of the ordinary on that circuit or anywhere else in the house.

I pulled the panel off the wall, inspected the wiring from the transformer to the panel and nothing out of the ordinary, no crimped wires, etc. Pulled the transformer connection, then the battery, took it off the wall and let it sit for about ten minutes. Subsequently reinstalled, connecting the battery first, waited a few seconds and then connected the transformer and remounted to the wall. No luck however after leaving it powered and on the wall for most of the day. Still no signs of life or anything at all on the screen that would make me think it is powered on or trying to. I did all of this earlier today about 7:30am PST, just FYI in case you saw any signs of communication from the panel on your side.

That doesn’t sound promising then. The only other thing I would suggest as a test would be to remove the battery and try powering it up without the battery attached. If this yields no results then it is likely hardware failure.

You could test the power on the wires with a multimeter to make sure the Power Supply is working. This would determine if the problem is the power supply or the panel itself, although we do not see any power loss or low battery alerts before it went offline, so the problem is more likely the panel.

If the battery test shows no improvement, I would contact the vendor of the IQ Panel 2 for warranty info.

Thanks Jason. Yeah I think at this point I’ve confirmed it’s officially dead. I tried without the battery connected and no luck. I also put a multimeter on the output of the power supply and it was reading a little over 4 volts (at least on my cheap multimeter). Additionally, I actually have another IQ panel 2 on hand that was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my father in law, so I’ve installed that now with the existing wiring and power supply and it powers on and works as expected.
I’ll have to reorder the Christmas gift for my father in law, but I’ll keep this panel installed and email customer service with the IMEI of the new panel to get it swapped out on the account. If that’s not the correct approach, just let me know, otherwise I’d say you can close this thread now. Thanks again for the help.

I also put a multimeter on the output of the power supply and it was reading a little over 4 volts (at least on my cheap multimeter). Additionally, I actually have another IQ panel 2 on hand that was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my father in law, so I’ve installed that now with the existing wiring and power supply and it powers on and works as expected. I’ll have to reorder the Christmas gift for my father in law, but I’ll keep this panel installed and email customer service with the IMEI of the new panel to get it swapped out on the account. If that’s not the correct approach, just let me know, otherwise I’d say you can close this thread now. Thanks again for the help.

4 Volts is a little too low and you’ll want to correct that if possible. Chronically under-powering the panel might cause problems.

How long is the power cable?

What gauge of wire are you using?

Regarding the swap, yes, when ready you’ll want to submit the new IMEI number and swap request via our secure message tool and our team will confirm via email when complete.

It’s the same power cable that ships with the panel. I’m not sure how long it is, maybe 3 feet (just guessing)? Although the 4 volts was measured at the output terminals of the power supply itself, and not the end of the wire. I did also use/test the power supply from the new panel, and it also measured 4 volts at the terminals of the power supply, so I sort of wonder if it’s my multimeter. I’ll do some more testing with a better multimeter and see what that tells me.