My Alarm Duplicate Armed without Me Arming it - Help

On Friday Night at 12:45AM or so (so this would actually make it Sat Morning) we armed our system stay.

We were dead asleep and then our panel at about 2:45 AM audibly alerted us “Armed Stay” . It woke us up.

I checked my logs and it did not say anything about an arming.

Any insight as to what happened here?

It did it again last night. About same time 2:40 or so. Wife activated motion in Hall at 2:39 or so. Alarm doesn’t go off because it was stay mode and motion sensor is set up to not activate during stay. There is a log entry of it through. The a minute later it announces “armed stay” and nothing in panel was touched

Any insight as to what happened here?

The panel re-announcing status would be caused by a reboot of either the panel or the panel’s security process.

It looks like the panel did request current time and date info around those times, followed by current status and pin code uploads to ADC, as though the panel had been offline and rebooted.

No reboot commands, so if it fully power cycled it is doing so locally. Have you been experiencing heavy storms recently? Although it is very odd to occur around the same time both occurrences.

No storms. Could it be a quick power outage? But wouldnt the backup battery make it so it doesn’t reboot?

This is strange

Battery backup would keep it from fully power cycling, assuming the battery is working and connected. That would be pretty quick to rule out, if you unplug the panel quick, does the battery keep in functioning? If not make sure it wasn’t unplugged inside for any reason.

If the battery was unplugged and you had power fluctuations, that would easily explain the circumstances.

Do you show any other times my panel has power cycled lately?

Battery is working

Any other suggestions?

I do not specifically see a power cycle. I see initial connection requests like panel time/user pins etc. as though it had lost and regained power/connection. So, while it is the most likely it may not be the case of a full power reboot.

Can you check to make sure the module is seated firmly and secured by both set screws? You may want to power down, remove and reseat the module, then power back up.

Checking panel status also causes the arming state to be announced. I do not see a direct cause, and signalling looks strong, but if communication loss between module and panel occurs, a similar string of requests might be seen on the back-end.

Is there a second set screw? Only aware of the one on top. If I have to buy one, donyou know the size or found you send me one?

Is there a second set screw? Only aware of the one on top.

The screws for the module itself on the inside are the two I mean, not the set screw holding panel to back-plate, to clarify

OK, I have been having my wife do all of this and I am traveling. I dont want her opening the panel so I will do it upon my return

You said:

". I see initial connection requests like panel time/user pins etc. as though it had lost and regained power/connection. So, while it is the most likely it may not be the case of a full power reboot. "

So I am assuming this is not “normal behavior”? To clarify, this has happened more than the two times I reported over the weekend?

It is normal behavior depending on the circumstance. The panel will always announce following boot up, exiting programming, checking status. But I don’t see a reason why it would do it on its own. It likely points to either power cycle (which if the battery is solid, probably isn’t the case) or a communication hiccup, possibly between module and panel.

I only see the same history of signals around the two specific times you mentioned, so it is likely not a coincidence.

Actual module communication looks really good with ADC, so the issue is acute if there is one.

My Alarm did this again. At the same time 2:40 AM ish. I has not done this in days.

ADC tends to state that it is not their problem for unusual instances like this. For example, I complained that the daylight savings schedules would malfunction for years and went back and forth with them with tons of emails. I was told the problem was with my panel. But finally they discovered it is a problem on their end.

I checked all connections and everything is secure. The only unusual thing is when I take my panel off the mount I do not get a tamper alert. Maybe the tamper alert only occurs during arming?

It is highly suspect that this happens about the same time in the early AM.

I need you guys to push hard for answers to resolution as it wakes us up and startles us in the middle of the night.

I’ve spoken with Alarm.com on this again and dug into the reports from this morning and the previous instances, and all evidence on the back-end unfortunately points to the panel rebooting.

It looks like a time/date request is sent by the panel, a dual path default report occurs (happens when first booting up a panel with dual path, where a ping does not report correct time), the panel is checked for config changes and user code discrepancies due to disconnection. These are seen when the panel boots or after a registered comm outage.

In this case it is looking more and more like an actual reboot. In discussing with 2GIG, their rep indicated it was likely a hardware fault. However, we are happy to assist with deeper troubleshooting.

How long is the power cable between the transformer and the control panel?
So we can better look into possible hardware concerns, what is the date code on the panel SN sticker?
What are the most recent items added to the system?
Has this occurred before the first report in this thread?
How long have you been using dual path, it looks like about 3-4 months, is that correct?

Just in case, typically when ghostly or impossible to pin down problems creep up, I like to check IP network involvement if the device connects to internet in any way. Does anything line up with the rough pattern you see regarding when the panel announces? What is the Router DHCP Lease time? Do you see the router history logs showing any drop-outs around that time?

Jason,

the only thing that seem inconsistent with hardware failure is the fact that this occurs almost exactly at the same time @:40 is in the morning. Hardware failures seem to be more random.

Power cable is 15 feet or so. Never h ad had issues in the past for years
201133 is the date code? Serial is 016778C1
most recent items are a Go Bridge and a thin hardware switch. I added a Schlage lock, but this was added after I had this problem
This has not occurered before the first post in this thread
Not sure what Dual Path is. If you mean the Go Bridghe, yes. I bought it from you on sales order 436526000008225010 on 2/19/16
No issues in logs for my router going down
I have the go bridge on a “reservation” so it gets the same ip every time so there is no lease time? Its a Netgear router so whatever the default was set at is what it is as I have never changed that parameter.

Obviously you saw this thread with the same thing happening in a GC3

The one thing these 2 systems have in common are that we both are on wifi (I am through the Go Bridge)

GC3 panel wifi has not yet been enabled.

We’ll be doing some testing today to try to recreate the circumstance and history items we see on this account.

OK, Thanks. Just as a FYI, no Occurrence last night

Should you enable “enhanced logging” for my account similar to what you did as we tried to figure out the DST issue?

The good news is this problem has not occurred since my last post, but I am not confident that it wont repeat.

Perhaps you can see what my alarm is doing from your logs from about 2:30 AM to 3 AM, even if I am not having the announcement go off. Then you can u se this as a baseline for activity that does not trigger the announcement?

Just some ideas as I know it took year(s) for ADC to admit it was on their end for the DST issue (which they still have not figured out but at least admit its on their end and did not malfunction last DST change) and not my end as far as hardware.

I’ll contact ADC to verify, but I am not sure enhanced data capture will pull these events. If it does, yes that would be a next step, considering the alternative is trying to physically watch the panel when this occurs (which, given the irregularity and timing, is silly).

I’m checking with other contacts at 2GIG to see if there is record of any similar occurrences reported as well.

Has there been any update on this?

I have had no instances of this since the last posting of incident. This would seem contrary to the indicators that this is equipment failure.