Migrating from 2GIG GC2 to Qolsys IQ Panel 2+

Hello,

I purchased GC2 kit back in 2012 when you guys were just starting. You guys helped me a lot since it was a 2GIG do-it-yourself kit from SuretyCAM that replaced a hardwired ADT system. The 2GIG system worked well during the years and I think now is a time for an upgrade. The original kit included take over modules, two control panels, remote controls, multiple CO and Smoke detectors. I reused all of my hardwired window contacts via takeover module. Over the years I added various detectors. I am planning to switch to Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ with IQ secondary panel as this is the only one you guys currently sell.

Here are my questions:

1. Since my GC2 kit is older and it does have spelled out Emergency on the panel, will I have to program every sensor manually for IQ2+ as I would not be able to back up 2GIG?
  2. Is it possible to convert from old 2GIG to IQ2+ without downtime?
  3. Will all of the following 2GIG detectors/sensors work with Qolsys IQ Panel 2+
  • Door/window sensors like 2GIG Thin Door/Window Contact
  • Liftmaster garage door bridge
  • 2GIG PIR Motion Detectors
  • 2GIG Combined Shock Sensor Window Contacts
  • Honeywell 5853 Glass Break Detectors
  • 2GIG Smoke/Heat Detectors
  • 2GIG Key Ring Remote 4 Button
  • Resolution Products Flood & Extreme Temperature Sensor (2GIG Compatible - RE219)
  • Hardwired window sensors from previous ADT system that are being used via takeover module TAKE-345
  1. I need to replace 3 2GIG-CO3-345 detectors that are expiring after 5 years… can I purchase 2GIG‐CO8‐345 and use them with IQ2+ since they have 10 year life vs QS5210-840 that had 5 year life (need confirmation on 5 years)?
  2. Please let me know if I am missing anything or if you have any additional recommendations.

Thank you, as always, for phenomenal support you guys provide.

Happy to assist!

While we sell and recommend the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ w/ 345Mhz radio QS9201-5208-840 , existing 345MHz devices can be re-used with the 2GIG GC2e, GC3e, and 2GIG Edge through Alarm.com. Compatible equipment does not have to be purchased through Surety in order to be used with service.

1. Since my GC2 kit is older and it does have spelled out Emergency on the panel, will I have to program every sensor manually for IQ2+ as I would not be able to back up 2GIG?

Backup restore is not possible between 2GIG and Qolsys, any sensors/devices would need to be reprogrammed locally at the new panel.

Is it possible to convert from old 2GIG to IQ2+ without downtime?

There will likely be some downtime, but it can be minimal. Sensors can be programmed manually into the new panel before connecting it to service, however if the sensor is tripped, it will report to both alarm panels. Placing your 24/7 professional monitoring account on test mode, if you have one, during this time would be advised.

Will all of the following 2GIG detectors/sensors work with Qolsys IQ Panel 2+

All of the devices will work, you will need the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ w/ 345Mhz radio QS9201-5208-840 found here only.

This version of the Qolsys panel is compatible with legacy 345MHz sensors and DSC brand PowerG sensors. It also has a Z-Wave Plus radio, 4G LTE Verizon module and Wi-Fi.

need to replace 3 2GIG-CO3-345 detectors that are expiring after 5 years… can I purchase 2GIG‐CO8‐345 and use them with IQ2+ since they have 10 year life vs QS5210-840 that had 5 year life (need confirmation on 5 years)?

The version of the panel is not compatible with Qolsys brand 319.5MHz sensors. You would use either the 2GIG‐CO8‐345 or the PowerG Carbon PG9933 (sold elsewhere).

Please let me know if I am missing anything or if you have any additional recommendations.

Any 2GIG secondary panels, like the TS1, would not work with the Qolsys panel. Same goes for any Image Sensors, they are not natively compatible with the Qolsys panel.

The IQ Panel 2+ is compatible with two secondary keypads: The IQ Remote and the PowerG Wireless Keypad WS9LCDWF9

Z-Wave and 345Mhz sensor programming guides for the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ can be found below:

Thank you so much for your guidance.
ready to place an order but just want to clarify a few things:

1. which smoke detectors will I need? Three will be expiring next year so I will change them now.
  2. please check my shopping cart under my username and please confirm that I am not missing anything or that the items in the cart is what I need based on my initial inquiry
  3. Is it true that the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ (345MHz Verizon) has built in motion detector? if I am correct, does the IQ Remote Secondary Panel have one?
  4. Does Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ (345MHz Verizon) come in AT&T version?
  5. If I place an order tomorrow, Tuesday, would you be able to ship overnight the same day?
  6. do you guys offer any paid phone support during the programming of existing sensors with new panel?

Thank you much

which smoke detectors will I need? Three will be expiring next year so I will change them now.

If using the 345MHz Qolsys panel, either of the following would work:

please check my shopping cart under my username and please confirm that I am not missing anything or that the items in the cart is what I need based on my initial inquiry

The items in your cart are compatible with one another. It looks like you were only interested in obtaining compatible carbon detectors initially.

Is it true that the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ (345MHz Verizon) has built in motion detector? if I am correct, does the IQ Remote Secondary Panel have one?

The main panel can leverage its camera to create an independent zone that acts as an
activity motion detector. It does not trigger alarms, it is for activity monitoring only. The IQ Remote does not have this feature but it does have a built in camera.

Does Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ (345MHz Verizon) come in AT&T version?

Yes. If you need the AT&T version, you can request it in the order notes field during the purchase process.

1. If I place an order tomorrow, Tuesday, would you be able to ship overnight the same day?

We do not offer expedited shipping at this time. All orders are shipped Ground. Orders are processed within 1-2 business days, typically they are processed within one.

do you guys offer any paid phone support during the programming of existing sensors with new panel?

We do not, all support is here and via email. We are unable to provide phone support.

You can find a 345MHz programming guide here:

but if you have any specific questions, just let us know.

Thank you for the feedback… i do need new smoke detectors now…

One of my 2Gig smoke detectors malfunctioned… first stated low battery… I tried changing batteries and panels does not recognize the change… took batteries out, no change, just panel send loud notifications of low battery every few hours and scares the kids…. Therefore need for new detectors also…

Meanwhile me receiving a new system from you, is the only workaround for smoke detector issue is to delete it from in the main panel?

Much appreciate all the help, Tyler.

One of my 2Gig smoke detectors malfunctioned… first stated low battery… I tried changing batteries and panels does not recognize the change… took batteries out, no change, just panel send loud notifications of low battery every few hours and scares the kids…. Therefore need for new detectors also…

Did you remove the old batteries, wait at least 30 seconds, then replace with new? If not, give that a try as this is a necessary step when replacing the batteries.

However, if the unit is outside the printed date code, the smoke should be replaced.

Are there any flashing LEDs on the unit? If so, what color and how many seconds between flashes? Is this the 2GIG SMKT3-345?

If you are looking to remove a defective smoke detector, you can do so through programming locally by changing the Sensor Type to Unused and clearing out the Serial Number This video will show you how.

-removed for 30 seconds for sure… just tried it again.
-unit expires in 2022
-it is 2GIG SMKT3-345
-yellow light flashes every 10 sec

• also single beep every 30sec or so

The SMKT3 has 3 light patterns:

General Fault - Every 4 seconds the LED flashes Yellow and chirps every 48 seconds
Sensor Dirty - Every 8 seconds the LED flashes Yellow and chirps every 48 seconds
Low Battery - Every 12 seconds the LED flashes Yellow and chirps every 48 seconds

If its the low battery, check to make sure the batteries are new/fresh and facing the proper polarity.

Currently however, I am not seeing the low battery trouble condition being reported to Alarm.com. Is this still reporting to the panel?

I should be receiving the order today and will work on install over the weekend. I do have a couple of follow-up questions:

• I have a takeover module Take-345 that is currently connected to old 2Gig system. Would I follow the same procedure as with other sensors by tampering with the takeover module for the new IQ panel to recognize it?
  • I have multiple hardwired 1st floor window sensors connected via this takeover module. Would they be as one “zone”?
  • I currently have 3 z-wave light switches enrolled with 2Gig system. I did go over one of the link you send me on how to attached them to the new IQ panel… It states that they first need to be removed from parent network… does this mean wifi or existing 2Gig panel?
  • you also stated the following to minimize the downtime: “There will likely be some downtime, but it can be minimal. Sensors can be programmed manually into the new panel before connecting it to service, however if the sensor is tripped, it will report to both alarm panels. Placing your 24/7 professional monitoring account on test mode, if you have one, during this time would be advised.” — Can I use Auto Learn Sensor feature while following the process where the sensors are still attached to the 2Gig system while programming the IQ panel?
  • if i do not finish migration in one day, what do I do overnight in order to keep 2Gig live and monitored?
  • Once all sensors are connected to the new IQ panel, what are the steps to switch active panels from 2Gig to IQ for the monitoring?
  • Is online help available on Monday July 5th?

Thank you and hopefully you can reply before the end of the day today.

• I have a takeover module Take-345 that is currently connected to old 2Gig system. Would I follow the same procedure as with other sensors by tampering with the takeover module for the new IQ panel to recognize it?

No. You can either manually program the zones using the TXIDs one by one like on the 2GIG Panel or you can typically trip zones to learn them in by opening the zones one by one.

• I have multiple hardwired 1st floor window sensors connected via this takeover module. Would they be as one “zone”?

Yes, if they are one zone on the 2GIG Panel they will be one zone on the IQ Panel.

• I currently have 3 z-wave light switches enrolled with 2Gig system. I did go over one of the link you send me on how to attached them to the new IQ panel… It states that they first need to be removed from parent network… does this mean wifi or existing 2Gig panel?

This means their parent network must be cleared from their memory. You can clear that by using the Remove Device button in Z-wave settings on the 2GIG Panel, or the Clear Device button in the IQ Panel. It doesn’t matter which one performs the clear operation.

I would generally just do it from the IQ Panel. Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Z-wave Devices. Select Clear Device and press the learn button/button sequence on each Z-wave device while the panel is listening for devices to clear.

Can I use Auto Learn Sensor feature while following the process where the sensors are still attached to the 2Gig system while programming the IQ panel?

Yes. 345 Mhz sensors are just broadcasting a signal. They can still be working on the 2GIG panel while learning them into the IQ Panel.

• if i do not finish migration in one day, what do I do overnight in order to keep 2Gig live and monitored?

Nothing. I would just wait until you have programmed all your sensors before swapping the IMEI for your system in the System Manager. Your 2GIG Panel will remain connected to your account until you make that swap.

• Once all sensors are connected to the new IQ panel, what are the steps to switch active panels from 2Gig to IQ for the monitoring?

Visit the System Manager here and select Swap Cellular Module/Panel. Follow the instructions in the System Manager to finish the process.

• Is online help available on Monday July 5th?

Professional monitoring is of course active, however Surety support offices are closed 6/5/2021 in observance of Independence Day.

Jason, thank u so much… all makes sense… just one followup question as I think I was not clear: the takeover module is only there to have 20+ hardwired window contact sensors connected to 2Gig panel… currently all these windows contact sensors programmed as one zone…

• so here is the question… should I manually program the takeover module take-345 using the ID on it and then then trip all contact sensors one by one or how does it work?

You would either program manually, or use auto-learn and trip the wired zones.

Here is a video showing the installation of the Take-345 on a 2GIG panel for reference. The same programming process of learning each wired zone would take place.

The first wired zone on the TAKE-345 will have a TXID ending in 1. The rest of the zones will be the same TXID but ending in 2, 3, 4, etc.

you way wish to do some research on the IQ4 panel which is supposed to be released this year.

Jason, thank you for your continuous help… You, personally, and your company never seize to amaze me with your knowledge and support. Thank you so much

A few followup questions… I may have more as I play with the system:

1. Can IQ remote secondary panel be used to get into advanced config to edit/add sensors or it just mirrors the main IQ panel?
  2. Is there an option for a Silent Disarm on Qolsys IQ panel or Alarm.com app… there is a silent arm on Alarm.com app but no silent disarm… I found the following link … has there been any updates in last 2 years? I understand that I can turn down the volume completely on the panel, but then it mutes everything, not just disarming…
    a. IQ Panel 2 - silent disarming

Thank you

Happy to help!

1. Can IQ remote secondary panel be used to get into advanced config to edit/add sensors or it just mirrors the main IQ panel?

You can access a menu for limited functions of the IQ Remote, but no you cannot edit sensors or main panel programming from the Remote.

Is there an option for a Silent Disarm on Qolsys IQ panel or Alarm.com app…

You cannot affect Disarming only, but there is a way to only stop system announcements like arm/disarm and not affect sensor activity chimes.

Settings > Advanced Settings > Sounds. There on the latest firmware versions you can scroll down and independently disable system announcements.

Hi Jason,

The system is working perfect with IQ panel update. Now I am ready for the upgrade at my parent’s house. A couple questions:

1. If they only have one main panel downstairs and there is intrusion event, is there a way to send out a duress signal from the iPhone ADC app or a person will need to go downstairs? Trying to decide is I need to purchase a secondary IQ panel for upstairs or possibly reusing the old 2Gig keyfob?**

2. I had a false alarm event recently and was able to cancel it via ADC app without the signal going to monitoring station and it showed up as a pending alarm. I checked my IQ panel and Normal Delay is set at 30sec.
    a. What is the typical Delay customers use for Door/Window sensors?
    b. Would you recommend no delay for windows?
    c. Is there a way to setup different delay for Away vs Stay modes?

3. In my ADC app, under users, it shows 2 separate users: Duress Code and Duress… any reason to have both? Picture below

4. For the black 2Gig keyfob Key2E-345… I was planning to program it as the following as it sits by nightstand:
    a. 4 Fixed Auxiliary. Installed in a fixed location such as night stand, the button(s) is/are programmed to trigger an Auxiliary panic.
    b. With the old 2Gig panel, the top 2 buttons when pressed together would send duress code… how do I program it with the IQ panel?

The windows putting them in a group 13 I think is what’s it’s called instant and any doors u never come in when ur coming home I’d also recommend adding those sensors to instant as well

If they only have one main panel downstairs and there is intrusion event, is there a way to send out a duress signal from the iPhone ADC app or a person will need to go downstairs?

You can add the In-App Panel Panic feature allowing you to set off panics from the app.

I had a false alarm event recently and was able to cancel it via ADC app without the signal going to monitoring station and it showed up as a pending alarm. I checked my IQ panel and Normal Delay is set at 30sec.

Normal Delay is a setting for Entry Exit zones determining the Entry Delay length.

“Pending Alarm” is referencing Dialer Delay. That is a different setting with a different function.

Read about dialer delay here.

Windows should not be entry exit zones. You cannot have different entry delays for away and stay.

In my ADC app, under users, it shows 2 separate users: Duress Code and Duress… any reason to have both? Picture below

There is only one Duress code on the IQ panel, I’m thinking this may be an error related to swapping panels if you have two showing up.

With the old 2Gig panel, the top 2 buttons when pressed together would send duress code… how do I program it with the IQ panel?

The Aux button on the fob is used for the panic activation on the IQ Panel 2+ I believe. There is no way to adjust that as far as I know.

Hi Jason,

So I installed a second IQ 2+ system at my parents’ house yesterday… Everything went a lot smoother as it is a second install and they do not have takeover module. I do have a more follow-up questions about both installs:

** 1. when system is armed, IQ remote secondary panel is in screensaver mode, if kids touch the screen to see if the system is armed, it automatically starts countdown and asking for a code… is that normal? Since there is no visual alarm status like it is on the main panel what are my options to see the arming status on secondary IQ panel? So far I see only option as to disable screensaver (if that possible at all).**

** 2. On the yesterday’s install, I am able to arm and disarm the system form the ADC app, but the IQ panel does not accept any security codes that are still listed on ADC website under active users (these were working on 2Gig panel prior to upgrade)… I did reboot IQ the panel and the issue still there… any suggestions as this was never an issue at my house when I installed everything a few weeks back and I followed the same procedure. The firmware is the same 2.61**

** 3. If all windows in the house have 7mil security film installed, is there a need for Glass Break sensors or they will not pick anything up?**

** 4. This may sound like a strange questions, but my parents can’t stand the particular sound of the IQ panel siren. If there is no way to change it (2Gig GC2 siren was much more bearable) which external siren you would recommend? I assume if they like the external one, IQ panel internal one can be disabled?**

** 5. Lastly, I was testing the alarm after putting it in test mode… when I triggered it with opening the garage door, it triggered (received messages from ADC) the glass break sensor and Front door contact nearby as well as Basement window contact that is far away… any ideas?**

Thank you much.

when system is armed, IQ remote secondary panel is in screensaver mode, if kids touch the screen to see if the system is armed, it automatically starts countdown and asking for a code… is that normal?

If you tap the screen on the left hand side it will ask for the code, as that is the field on the screen where you would tap to arm/disarm the system.

If you tap on the right side, the panel should just wake up and show the arming status of the panel.

On the yesterday’s install, I am able to arm and disarm the system form the ADC app, but the IQ panel does not accept any security codes that are still listed on ADC website under active users (these were working on 2Gig panel prior to upgrade)…

Login to the Alarm.com account and edit/save the user codes. You don’t have to change the code you can just edit it and then save. This will send them to the connected panel.

If all windows in the house have 7mil security film installed, is there a need for Glass Break sensors or they will not pick anything up?

The glass break sensor likely wont pick up the sound from a window smash on windows with that film.

. This may sound like a strange questions, but my parents can’t stand the particular sound of the IQ panel siren.

No, the sirens noise cannot be altered it is a piezo siren so there is not sound file or anything to change. There are additional sirens that can be obtained (Z-Wave IQ Siren from Qolsys as an example) but this would be in addition to.

Lastly, I was testing the alarm after putting it in test mode… when I triggered it with opening the garage doo…

What day/time did this occur? Were you testing with the central station or was this with the Sensor Test feature in the panel?