Issue with SkyBell Not Working

No. This is exactly the same problem I’ve had all along, just without using the Wi-Fi extender.

I was looking through the AT&T forums and ran across this thread (https://www.google.com/search?q=at%26t+router+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1).

Hello. I manage the Technical Support at SkyBell Technologies. I would very much like to communicate with anyone tier 2 or higher regarding issues we have found with the Pace 5268AC device, and its recent firmware update 10.6.0.530094-att. Since late January we have had to assist our customers with a manual setup on the Pace device specifically, as it seems DHCP does not complete properly. After we hand config ourselves onto the lan, we can see an entry in the ip tables for our device labeled ‘unknown’, after a manual setup, we can remove a SkyBell, and bring another device and the pace just hands over the previous ip to the new doorbell camera. I would ask every user with At&t Uverse to manually setup the SkyBell on Uverse cable modems Pace 5268AC and any other that might be hanging at our orange step in the sync process. I would like to finish with our process to negotiate Uverse products at the moment until a long term fix is realized. Admin, could you please steer me to the proper group or persons to address these issues further?

Could this be related to my issue?

That is likely an issue, yes. It sounds like a good resolution to try would be setting address reservation for the Skybell’s mac address instead of relying on DHCP to assign an IP address. This would require admin access to router settings.

From prior experience with AT&T, the admin credentials were just the default printed on the router sticker. Usually they are simplistic defaults.

If you do not feel you would be able to do this, AT&T support should be able to assist.

I couldn’t figure out how to do it on my own. AT&T want’s $180 to help, so that’s out.
I reached out to Skybell service, but they are unwilling to help stating a contract with you.
Sounds like I’m back to square 1. Am I just out of luck?

Re-reading the message thread I sent you previously (https://www.google.com/search?q=at%26t+router+issues&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1), the Skybell technician could resolve the problem with their customers. I’m guessing you can contact Skybell (since I can’t), get the specific details on resolving this issue and assist me with this connection issue.

A clarification: we do not have a contract with Skybell. Skybell is integrated with Alarm.com.

ADC support typically would handle issues related to use of the Skybell with Alarm.com, however we did reach out to Skybell for more info. They report that there is an advanced setup option in the Skybell app which you can use to set a static IP on the device. You wouldn’t be using the Skybell app to connect however.

The test I am describing is manually setting the IP in the router settings. I’ve taken a look at the manual and it looks like the Pace device does not even support address reservation by MAC address (this is kind of shocking). So that test is actually out.

Luckily there should be another work-around. When setting up the Skybell in the ADC App, after selecting the Wifi network you want to connect it to, select Manual at the top (instead of auto). Then you can manually assign a static IP directly to the Skybell.

Select an unused IP address. DHCP usually assigns lowest first, so just use something like 192.168.1.250
If the router is at standard default values the rest can be:
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2 8.8.4.4

OK. I followed your instructions and entered the appropriate values (see screenshot). The only other item was WPA. According to my router, I use Authentication type WPA2-PSK (AES), so I’m not sure it that’s the same.

I verified the gateway & subnet mask with my router info, so those are good. I didn’t see any way to verify the DNS1 & DNS2, so I used what you provided w/o verification.

I still get a briefly displayed error message “Internet unavailable with Skybell_3117957119” when I select the AT&T extended wi-fi address, but then it allows me to manually set the information you have suggested. I used 192.168.1.99 as a valid unused internet address.

Anyway, the tests still failed. As usual, I get the 10% configuration screen followed after a few minutes by the “oops! Something went wrong” screen and a button to Restart.

Can you not select WPA2 for encryption type?

I just tried it with WPA2 - still wouldn’t connect.

No luck with no encryption either.

I just tried it with WPA2 – still wouldn’t connect.
No luck with no encryption either.

You would not have luck using No Encryption unless that is what your router is set to.

Before we move on, let’s be absolutely certain of two things:

1. What model of router do you have? Please double check the router label and verify the model.
  2. The extender is not in use. I know the signal strength is lower, but with the extender in play it adds more questions.

With the extender powered down, try again directly connecting to the router SSID and use WPA2 and the previously stated IP info. Any luck?

Also, to verify, is this a Slim line doorbell or a round Skybell HD?

Success (of sorts).

AT&T Router Model Nbr: 5268 AC FXN
AT&T Router P/N: 296-0417700

Netgear Wi-Fi Extender UNPLUGGED.
Connected to the main AT&T Router (ATT3sbn8zv).
Connected using WPA2 Encryption

Successful, but with “bad Wi-Fi Connection” (see screenshot).
OK, this is the farthest I’ve gotten in over a week!!!
Now need help with the extender.

Alright, good that’s what I was expecting and that is great news as it proves the manual setup will work.

The difference in this case from your original install is that your router firmware was updated by your ISP, which has caused this issue.

Can you power up the extender and try connecting other devices to the extender specifically, like your smartphone. Any internet access that way?

Yes, you are zeroing in on the problem.
I plugged the extender back in.
My smartphone can connect to the extender, however, I can’t reach any websites using the Chrome browser.

(I can reach websites using Chrome when my Smartphone is connected to the main AT&T Router).

The default settings of the router have likely changed due to the firmware update, in which case you may need to swing back to this post.

Or, equally likely, since the extender functions as an IP client on the router as well, it may simply be suffering the same issue the Skybell was when connecting, not receiving a completed DHCP connection from the router.

The easiest test would be to go into the Extender settings and set it to a manual IP address similar to how you did for the Skybell (use a different IP, but the rest would be the same). You may need to power cycle the extender after. Then try to connect your phone to the extender. Success?

OK, now we know the problem lies with the latest update of the AT&T 5268 router and how it sees the wi-fi extender.

Looking at your post instructions, I don’t know how to:

1. disable the AT&T Router MAC filter, WiFi access control, or ACL.
  2. If I can’t connect the Skybell doorbell camera to the extended wi-fi, how can I connect all of your WiFi devices to the extender?
  3. Even if I figured out 1 & 2 above, you stated in an earlier post that this router does not provide the ability to connect via MAC address. So how could I perform the other steps?

I think there is some confusion. To clarify, this has nothing to do with any end point device connecting to the extender. You can do that already. You just can’t get internet access. You can access the Extender LAN. The Extender cannot access the Router.

This does not require address reservation by MAC in the router. Ignore that.

There are two likely issues. One of the following will almost certainly be the problem in this case:

1. AT&T Router MAC filter, WiFi access control, or ACL changes due to firmware. I cannot say whether this happened with any certainty, and we cannot provide tech support for AT&T products. However, this is not the easiest test, so I would first focus on #2 below:

2. It stands to reason that since your Skybell DHCP could not complete properly, the same exact problem might be happening to your extender. Your extender does not get wired to the router to act as an access point. It connects wirelessly to your Router’s wifi network as a client the same as your phone, the Skybell, or any other wifi device. It thus gets assigned an IP like everything else.

The first thing I would try is to access the Extender’s settings and manually assign a Static IP address. There are instructions for this in the Extender’s manual. See page 26.

Essentially you are trying the exact same fix for the Extender as what resolved the Skybell issue.

I used mywifiext.com to set a static IP address to the router (192.168.1.73).

It indicates a MAC address of B0:39:56:6F:C4:09 and a virtual MAC address of B2:39:56:6E:C4:09

Looking at the AT&T router, I can see EXT2700 with the same IP address, with a status of ACTIVE. The details page indicates a “Hardware Address” of 02:0f:b5:6f:c4:09. It doesn’t provide a MAC address, but I would guess this is equivalent to a Hardware Address - curious that it doesn’t match.

Also curious to note that the Extender communicates to the Router via WPS, not WPA2. WPA2 is not an available option on mywifiext.com.

I unplugged and rep-lugged my extender and ensured the static IP address was retained (it was). All lights are green, so it appears to be connected to the router (i.e., the Power, Router, WPS & Device lights are all green).

I then tried to connect the Skybell to the extended wi-fi network using the Alarm.com app. I tried using WPS & WPA2 encryption and the manual settings discussed previously in the post. Both failed.

Even though I don’t see a way to change the AT&T router MAC address for the EX2700, I added the virtual address to the allowed MAC address list & confirmed the hardware address = MAC address (unfortunately they are still different between the AT&T router and the mywifiext.com (see attached snips).

Router-Info-for-EX2700.docx (90.7 KB)