Issue with Motion Notifications and SkyBell

Hello, I’m having an issue with notifications. My mobile app continually sends notification from my front door bell on detecting motion, however I do not have motion notifications configured. This is incredibly frustrating as I have the sensitivity set as low as it will go, but I think a large tree over 50 feet away from the doorbell is somehow triggering the motion when the wind sways it? I’m not sure if you’re able to look at my video clips? The alert States: Front Door: “Camera Triggered” event. Is this a glitch in notifications or am I missing a config option somewhere?
Thank you for your time.

It looks like this is related to the bug discussed here and here.

This is known issue occurring on a select number of Doorbell devices. Alarm.com has an open ticket with Skybell and currently investigating and resolving.

In the meantime, I would suggest turning off motion detection recording for the Skybell, as the issue seems to create a huge amount of clips. The PIR cannot be triggered by background movement that far away, so you are certainly seeing this issue.

Note that no, we cannot view video clips, we can only tell if they exist and the times they were recorded.

I’m adding your account to the ticket for those affected.

I am having the same issue. Can you add my account to the list please.

Yes, we’ll get that added. Thank you for reaching out.

Hi, thanks for the update and adding me to the ticket on this. But, is there any ETA on the fix? This is quite a hindrance to the functionality the SkyBell HD provides, as not all intruders…if any…are going to ring my doorbell to initiate the recording. Essentially, half the functionality of this device is moot now. Plus, people stealing packages off my front door aren’t ringing the bell either. What’s odd, is that this started out of the blue, as I had the doorbell configured for a while prior to this happening…Though I do believe it was after a FW update that it may have started happening.

Really appreciate your time and information, you are incredibly helpful.

Thank you!

Alarm.com is currently working on a firmware update to resolve this issue we are told. We do not have any available ETA, but I wouldn’t imagine it taking too long. Support individuals immediately know what we are referring to without case details.

It is an issue which affects functionality of the Skybell and ADC cloud video clips, so I understand the concern. ADC is on it though!

I’ve only heard reports of this fairly recently, and they have been staggered and may correlate with what I would expect from staggered automatic firmware updates, but I am uncertain if the latest version definitively caused this, or if the same error occurs in Skybell HD native app.

We will be following up here with an update when available.

Can you please add me to the email notification also. My doorbell juststarted doing also today. I havent performed any updates to the device since I purchased it.

Any update?

Checking for an update, will post back any news, but nothing as of yet.

Can you please add me to the email notification also. My doorbell juststarted doing also today. I havent performed any updates to the device since I purchased it.

Thanks for providing the start day. Note that firmware is updated automatically in a staggered fashion. However the last time this device firmware was upgraded looks to be in Sept., so there would be a separate trigger for this issue.

I think I’m going to turn my alerts back on and fill up the cloud storage and I will not be paying for any overages. It seems this isn’t getting any attention any other way.

I’ve spoken with Alarm.com and I assure you this is one of the video team’s top priorities. It is an active investigation.

One thing that might be good to test in this situation on each Skybell HD is a factory reset. You would want to delete the camera under the Alarm.com Video tab on Video Device Info page. See below for reset instructions:

"Caution: If you initiate a Factory Reset, the Doorbell Camera will need to be re-connected to Wi-Fi and resynced with the account.

Press and HOLD the button until the LED begins a Yellow rapid strobe flash. The reset could take up to 2
minutes.

Notes:
The Alarm.com Wi-Fi Doorbell Camera will flash Blue before it flashes Yellow – do not release during the flashing Blue phase (this will power cycle the device). You can factory reset the device when it is in AP Mode (see instructions above). Press and HOLD the Main Button until the LED flashes Yellow.

If a factory reset is performed on a camera that is already connected to Wi-Fi, the camera will need to be re-installed to re-establish its Wi-Fi connection."

After the reset, recreate the motion schedule and save. Does the Skybell HD act the same as before? Does it function properly. And in the long term, does this issue resurface?

I think I’m going to turn my alerts back on and fill up the cloud storage and I will not be paying for any overages.

Video clips are not triggered past the monthly limit, aside from Alarm-triggered clips which always go through. There are no overage charges.

Any updates on this issue? I’m having the same problem - can I be added to the list?

Thanks!

Any updates on this issue? I’m having the same problem – can I be added to the list?

Thanks!

There are no updates yet, but we check in periodically with Alarm.com. It doesn’t appear this specific request is related to a suretyDIY subscription. You would need to have Alarm.com service through suretyDIY for us to be able to link your account to a support ticket. Please be sure to contact your current service provider for details.

I tried the reset and right back to a ton of falses.

I tried the reset and right back to a ton of falses.

Alright, thank you for testing that. We will update and check with ADC.

Hello,
Checking in on this to see if there are any updates?

I’ve turned my motion recording schedule back on, as it’s the holidays and package thieves do not press the button prior to stealing your boxes…However, I’ve noticed that even when someone is on my porch, the motion does not always work, yet it’ll record randomly throughout the day, as it does now, with no one on the porch. For instance, it did not record when I was shoveling and standing right in front of the Skybell, yet it’s continually alerting my phone it’s recording now, and there is zero motion.

Another issue I’m seeing, is that the alerts on my phone are going off, though I have that notification turned OFF in the application, so there is more to this than just the FW on the Skybell. This is of course annoying as I have it turned off yet my phone constantly gets push notification for the motion recording.

I do see a bit of a pattern in the recordings. It seems to begin a bit before noon, and last about an hour or so, then it seems to calm down, until later in the evening when it randomly picks up again.

I have not tried disconnecting the Skybell from my ADC app, and utilizing the Skybell App stand-alone to verify similar results, though I may try and report back my findings. However, this is not why I pay SuretyDIY a fee to add the doorbell to my account but then the service and associated device is rendered somewhat useless, or at least incapacitated to 50% functionality due to this obnoxious error…

Any update you can provide will be appreciated, as is your time, and I hope you can understand my own, and the others’ frustration with this.

Thank you!

I have not tried disconnecting the Skybell from my ADC app, and utilizing the Skybell App stand-alone to verify similar results, though I may try and report back my findings

This would be helpful if you are able to report what you see.

We understand the frustration. I am eager for this issue to be resolved as well.

We’ve been in contact with ADC regularly on this. The good news is that prior to the Holidays there was some momentum on testing new firmware based on contact with ADC, but I have not heard any update over the last week or so. I will reach out to ADC and see if there is an update on that.

I did receive an update on this, and unfortunately it is not yet ready, however it sounds like the potential problem was isolated, and we anticipate being able to test a firmware resolution in the near future.

I removed the skybell from my ADC account and, without resetting the skybell, set it up within the skybell app.

Motion is on, set to low, as it was within my ADC app, and notifications on (though they were off for ADC and I was still receiving them).

I will report back my findings after a few days.

Well, unfortunately I do not have to wait very long to report back on my findings.

Shortly after enrolling the skybell device in the skybell app, I began receiving false positive motion notifications.

The only positive finding I have I suppose, is that when I disabled motion notifications within the skybell app I did not receive notifications on the motions that are still occurring. I verified I have motion activity being recorded after disabling the notification but I’m not receiving a pop up on my phone which is the desired behavior with all these false positives…

Model Skybell_HD_3_1_1008848-009
FW 1141