How to Connect an Alarm.com Video Device via Ethernet

Some Alarm.com video devices have the ability to use an Ethernet cable for an Internet connection.

1. Plug an Ethernet cable into the video device and the local router or networking device.
  2. Connect the camera’s AC power adapter and plug it into a non-switched outlet. If the video device is using Power-over-Ethernet, ignore this step.
  3. When the LED is solid green, the wired connection is complete. If the LED is not solid green after a few minutes:
    A. Power cycle the camera.
    B. Try a different Ethernet port on the router or networking device.
    C. Try to connect using a different network connection option (i.e., WPS or AP) if one is available.
  4. Add the video device to the Alarm.com account

The typical router has four physical ports. Assuming that one is taken by a computer, there are usually three empty ports available for use with a wired camera. If there are not enough Ethernet ports available on a router for the video cameras, a 5 or 8 port switch is necessary. Switches can be purchased from most electronics stores.

Maximum length for an Ethernet cable

The maximum distance for an Ethernet (i.e., CAT5, CAT5e, etc.) cable is suggested to be 329 feet or 100 meters in nearly any networking application.

Ethernet cable pin configuration for video devices

• Straight-through
  • Either T-568A or T-568B

A standard CAT5 Ethernet cable uses pins 1, 2, 3, and 6 for data. To work with Alarm.com cameras, Ethernet cables should be using either T-568A or B standard. It does not matter as long as it is A on both ends or B on both ends (i.e., straight-through cable). Communication does not work properly if they are combined A to B or B to A (i.e., crossover cable).

Power options for video devices

Caution: Splicing the camera’s power cable voids the camera’s warranty.

When powering video devices, it is recommended to only use the included power adapter or Power over Ethernet. If the cables are too short for the installation, extension cables may be needed.

Using a Power over Ethernet splitter can reduce the length needed for the power cable, or using an Ethernet injector, PoE switch, or PoE router can make a power cable unnecessary if the device is compatible with Power over Ethernet