How accurate are battery readings in IQ4 panel

I have a Sxhlage deadbolt that kept showing up as malfunctioning. For a week. Battery level on panel,showed 51 percent or so. That would seem like an indication of not needing to change batteries.

Change batteries and everything works fine now. Refreshing the battery screen, it showed 100% after the change.

How accurate or inaccurate are battery resdings? For door locks,sensors etc?

The readings for devices are as reliable as the devices provide. The panel is receiving the data from the device. If a device hasn’t been signaling at all for a while then the battery level won’t be accurate.

One thing that often affects this is the fact that a device may experience signaling trouble from lower battery levels before hitting its hard low battery threshold. This is not uncommon especially for devices which already have limited range or rely on mesh repeaters like door locks do.

Sensors which have other factors like environmental attenuation are susceptible to the same thing. Replacing batteries is a step in troubleshooting offline status for this reason.

I spoke too soon. As you can see the kitchen and courtyard lock, which are both Schlage locks. are both offline now. i switched batteries, rediscovered network, I did add the more frequent monitoring of devices for $1 a month from Surety so maybe its always been doing this but I am now seeing it more due to the increased monitoring of sensors.

Do these zwave locks tend to have issues like this? i have had them for years, replaced them, and they seem to always be problematic

In addition to above…When I go to the lock and open close the deadbolt. it registers and clears the loss of supervision error.

I theorize the locks go to sleep and the panel sees this as offline. As I increaded the monitoring , I see the errors more.

However the panel should not be reporting erroirs when the locks go to sleep.

Its doing this for all my Schlage locks now

I theorize the locks go to sleep and the panel sees this as offline. As I increaded the monitoring , I see the errors more.

Hourly Panel supervision is related to panel signaling with Alarm.com. It has no impact at all on Z-wave device status. Any correlation is incidental and should be disregarded.

Offline is a common general status. It means that commands or status signals to the device have been failing. Those devices are indeed missing some communication if they report offline. Locks do operate in power save mode, but that has always been true, and they should wake from inbound signals.

Offline status can be caused by a variety of things.

Batteries are a common cause. With Z-wave devices, signaling can be affected by movement or removal of other Z-wave devices. If one or more repeaters malfunction/get removed/get moved/fail, etc., that can have a downstream effect on devices that rely on them.

Remapping routes is not dynamic, you can run a network rediscovery to resolve that particular issue as long as an alternate path is available.

So knowing i changed batteries, bought new deadbolts after I went through this 2.5 years ago with you with the older locks, rediscovered network…what do you think is the issue that started a couple of weeks ago?
Anything on your end that can give me insight?

Running a link quality test on our end, your system seems to be having some general issues on the Z-wave network. On a complex Z-wave network, one or more issues can have a bit of a snowball effect on specific neighbor nodes that rely on them as a communication path.

You have a few devices reporting poor connectivity, and 11 devices failed to respond to the link quality test altogether.

The first devices to show offline frequently when you have general Z-wave signaling trouble would expectedly be locks. They have the most limited range.

The Courtyard Lock specifically shows as having no neighbor nodes. It has no repeaters.

The Kitchen lock has a lot of devices listed as neighbors, but is showing poor connectivity.

The first thing I would do is reboot the panel. Settings > Advanced Settings > Reboot Panel.

Wait about 10 minutes after boot up, then run a network rediscovery. Let us know when that new rediscovery is complete, we can check the panel’s reports again for changes in the diagnostics.

Reboot and rediscover completed per your instructions.

There were a few that said they could not connect to “neghboring nodes” I checked those and ran again and got them all to work except the kennel one. This one is pretty far away from the locks in question too. Strage as the keenel is on automation and works fine every night (its a light switch)

The Kitchen Lock still shows as poor connectivity, but others have improved. Have you added any specific Z-wave devices recently or do you have any other Z-wave controllers?

If that lock had its batteries changed recently, as a test to see if it has immediate impact, I would delete the Kitchen Lock, wait 5 minutes, then relearn, followed by one more rediscovery.