Zone tripping with just resistor

I installed 2 16F’s for my existing wired sensors. All of the zones are direct with only 1 sensor. I installed the 4.7k resistors to one wire and into the panel for my NC sensors. 2 sensors kept tripping with no activity. I replaced the sensors and reseated the wires at the 16F, but that did not work. Then I removed the zone wires and just jumped the terminal screw with 4.7k resistor as if it were closed, but the qolsys still reported it tripping. Finally, I just removed the zones from the panel. Unfortunately, this doesn’t resolve my coverage issue. Could my 16F’s have bad zones?

Could my 16F’s have bad zones?

I’m sure it is possible for bad components but likely not, I’ve never heard of this kind of issue before.

The first thing I would assume in this case is that the resistors may not be right. If the resistance is not what the Hardwire 16F is looking for then it will not report closed properly.

Are you sure those are 4.7kohm resistors and not existing ones that have different value?

If they are definitely the resistors that came with the panel, or if you are not sure, try swapping a different 4.7k resistor in that spot. Any change?

If not, what zone numbers are causing the issue?

I checked the circuits, and all 3 of them measure 4.69k ohms. I used the resistors provided with the system. I was short one resistor and the had used another resistor that came with an outdoor sensor. I was using this directly to short the zone. However, I just measured it and it was 5.5k ohm. What is the tolerance range of the resistors? I just purchased some 4.7k 5%, and they are measuring at 4.58-4.6 k ohm. I used one to replace the 5.5k ohm.

As far as which zone is tripping, I have 2 16F’s. One one board, zones 2&3 are giving me the problem and on the other board, zone 4 was. Am going to try and use some of my unused zones to see if I get a different result.

At first, I thought my problem was the distance of the power supply to the board because I was getting low battery errors, but I rewired that power supply so both are now within 6’ of the 16F’s.

One other question: On one of the boards (the one with zone 2&3 tripping), the green transmit led keeps illuminating while the other board does not. Any idea why? I do not see any zone LEDs illuminating when this happens.

Thanks
Fred

5.5k would be outside the tolerance range.

Also, are you using EOL learn mode or just the default 4.7kohm mode on the HW16?

If you are using EOL learn mode, which learns the resistance of each zone while learning them in, if you use a single resistor to short all the zones the resistance may be off on the actual circuits.

As far as which zone is tripping, I have 2 16F’s. One one board, zones 2&3 are giving me the problem and on the other board, zone 4 was. Am going to try and use some of my unused zones to see if I get a different result.

I wouldn’t expect this to resolve it, unless EOL learn mode was used like mentioned above. However please let us know what you see when you swap the zones.

the green transmit led keeps illuminating while the other board does not.

That just means an RF signal is being sent. One of them is reporting low battery it seems, hard to say if related, but it is possible.

Thanks Jason

This weekend I reset both 16F’s, removed all sensors in the qolsys, and started over reinstalling all sensors. I have a 4.7k resistor on each unused zone. All but one zone are currently behaving. I need to troubleshoot that zone. It is a different problem zone that before.

One other question…the instructions state the default resistor mode is 4.7k so when I reset the board, it should be correct. The instructions also state the led will blink fast in the 4.7k mode which seems incorrect. Which led pattern is correct for the 4.7k mode?

Thanks
Fred

For the standard 4.7kohm mode the processor LED should blink rapidly, 8 times/second.

When in EOL learn mode it will flash once per second.

I started having problems with sensors tripping again on the same 16F. I checked and verified I had 4.7k on each circuit. I removed them all again from the panel and removed the translator from the panel. I reset the board and relearned the sensors. Now 3 of the sensor leds flash fast to show a tampered state, and this was from relearning them. If I order a replacement board and it fixes the problem, will you issue an RMA for the original, or the new one if the problem remains? My other 16F is working fine right now.

Thanks
Fred

I started having problems with sensors tripping again on the same 16F. I checked and verified I had 4.7k on each circuit. I removed them all again from the panel and removed the translator from the panel. I reset the board and relearned the sensors. Now 3 of the sensor leds flash fast to show a tampered state, and this was from relearning them

To confirm, this is only occurring on one of the Hardwire 16s at this time. Was this the 7134 (Large) or 7133(Small)?

What is the sensor ID of the Hardwire16 experiencing issues?

If I order a replacement board and it fixes the problem, will you issue an RMA for the original, or the new one if the problem remains? My other 16F is working fine right now.

With warranty replacement, you have two options:

1. return the defective item, and once the returned item is received by our team we will ship you a replacement, or

2. if you would like the replacement shipped prior to the defective equipment arriving at Surety you can purchase a replacement via our online store for us to ship out. The total cost of the replacement order, including shipping, will be refunded once the defective equipment has been returned to us.

The battery would not be a part of the return (unless defective as well)

Hi Tyler,

This is happening on the small 16F. The zones showing tamper are 2,7 and 9.

Ok. I will order on. The battery has been giving low readings for a while, but I don’t know if it’s related to the board issues or not.

Thanks
Fred

What is the Sensor ID of the 7133 Hardwire 16?

Tyler,
The sensor IS is 68F9A0.

Thank you, we will need that information should that HW16 be defective.

Tyler,

I replaced the 16F and relearned all of those sensors into the panel. So far, all of those sensors are behaving properly. I will watch it for a few days, but I expect I will need an RMA for the original board.

I also removed all the sensors from the other original 16F from the panel, reset the memory, and switched the resistor setting to 4.7k I tested each circuit on this card and all lines were between 4.66k and 4.7k. After resetting the board again to be sure, I relearned all of the attached sensors into this 16F and and the panel. The learning process worked as it should. However…When I checked the app tonight to see how the sensors were performing, all of them have tripped more than once, and none of these windows were opened or closed since learning them. Previously, I had this board set up at the 1 to 10k resistor setting. Is there a different way to do a hard reset on the board? When I receive my first two 16F’s both powered up in the 1 to 10k mode (with a sloe LED flash). I thought this was the default, and why I later questioned the LED blink pattern with Jason. Before I ask to replace this board, I am willing to try a different kind of board reset. I have been fussing with this for over a month now. Any ideas?

Thanks
Fred

I replaced the 16F and relearned all of those sensors into the panel. So far, all of those sensors are behaving properly. I will watch it for a few days, but I expect I will need an RMA for the original board.

Good to hear that this is working as expected. We can get the RMA process started. We will need one last bit of information from that unit. What is the serial number? It should follow CHVXXXXXXX format. Can be found on the box and on the unit.

The default mode is “UL Mode” where 4.7k resistors are required on each
zone. In this mode the Processor LED blinks rapidly (8 times per second).

There is only one way to clear the memory, from the manual:

Power down the unit by unplugging the battery leads and the power supply. Hold down “Memory Reset” for 3 seconds while re-applying power to the device. Processor, RF Xmit and EOL CAL LED’s will begin to flash rapidly indicating that the module has been reset.

NOTE: It is recommended to Clear the Memory when
installing the unit for the first time or when switching
between Resistor Modes if devices have previously
been enrolled into the IQ Hardwire 16

Thanks Tyler. I did clear the memory as you stated after I changed the resistor mode. I will try one more time. Are there any other steps you can recommend?

Thanks
Fred

To confirm, the replacement Small HW16F is working fine. However, the Large HW16F is no longer working properly and all or some connected sensors are reporting a tamper, correct?

There is only one manner of reset for the HW16F (as outlined above and in the manual).

Ensure all wires are connected properly and that all correct resistors are attached correctly as well.

How many zones attached to the Large HW16F board are reporting issues?

Tyler. Most of the zones are reporting a tamper. I watched the panel for about 20 min and saw 3 zones trip 2,3,7. I also noticed the green communication led light and no zones, but the panel recorded a trip. Is the problem with the board or the panel? The 16f I replaced has been fine so far.