Z-Wave Network Stability Adversely Impacted, Seemingly After Having Added Aeotec Home Energy Monitor

BE469ZP and 04012019

The information for my other locks which are working well as pre-HEM/SDK days are Weiser Smartcode 10 deadbolt GED 1800 SMT ZW 15 VS FD 4LS2, with date codes 20180905 and 20171122.

From what I understand, Kwikset and Wieser have interchangeable parts, and its basically a Kwikset 914.

Qolsys is requesting some specific testing so that they can look at the logs, can you please complete the following and let me know when it was done?

1. Lock the front door lock
  2. Unassociate the front door lock from the panel. Verify the unassociation was successful.
  3. Send an unlock command from panel or ADC.
  4. Wait 2 minutes.
  5. Send a lock command from panel or ADC.
  6. Wait 2 minutes.
  7. Associate the front door lock from the panel. Verify association was successful.
  8. Repeat Steps 3 – 6.

Here’s my progression with the requested round of testing:

1. Manually unlocked Front Door at 5:50pm Eastern (in preparation)

2. Lock the front door lock: Manually locked Front Door at 5:55pm

3. Unassociate the front door lock from the panel. Verify the unassociation was successful.: Completed at 5:56pm

4. Send an unlock command from panel or ADC.: Completed at 5:57pm (via panel) - SUCCESS

5. Wait 2 minutes.

6. Send a lock command from panel or ADC.: Completed at 6:00pm (via panel) - SUCCESS

7. Wait 2 minutes.

8. Associate the front door lock from the panel. Verify association was successful.: Completed at 6:02pm

9. Send an unlock command from panel or ADC.: Completed at 6:03pm (via panel) - FAILED

10. Wait 2 minutes.: Manually unlocked at 6:05pm, given failure in previous unlock command

11. Send a lock command from panel or ADC.: Completed at 6:06pm (via panel) - SUCCESS

12. Wait 2 minutes.

13. Given unexpected / unusual success in previous lock command, waited another two minutes and sent an unlock command at 6:08pm - FAILED

14. Test concluded at 6:10pm

Thank you very much, I’m uploading the diagnostic logs from the panel to Qolsys so they can look through it.

Hi, Jason, any update on this from Qolsys…?

I do not have an official update at this time yet, however we recently discovered that the new firmware version 2.5.2 resolved a separate issue which affected S2 devices pairing properly (the T3000 specifically). Z-wave updates were made in 2.5.2.

Can you try updating to 2.5.2 via these instructions and test? Any change?

I actually did this last night - no difference to the issue at hand.

Alright, well that is unfortunate but good to know. I will follow up with Qolsys to see where they are on this and let them know it is unchanged in 2.5.2

Qolsys indicated that this is indeed device specific, with regard to Schlage locks. They were able to confirm the cause and have reached out to Schlage to try to resolve.

I’m not sure what that means for existing locks. I am checking on that, but I wanted to confirm that this shouldn’t be an issue on other models.

thanks, Jason. I’m sure this will be resolved with software, soon!

Thanks for the update, Jason, I’m happy to hear that the root cause is now understood! I look forward to hearing more about path towards resolution…

I noticed on the alarm.com website that for the Schlage BE469ZP it now says “(Only models manufactured in December 2019 or later)”. I guess older locks are now not compatible. Bummer.

I didn’t get specifics from Qolsys yet, but that sounds suspicious and is likely connected to this issue. It is likely a change in device firmware that occurred at that time. Prior production runs are likely defective.

I truly hope that this is not the case. Aren’t z-wave devices’ firmware able to be updated over z-wave in any case, or is this more of a device-specific feature/capability? I’ve seen references over the years to z-wave light switches that got firmware updates, the ADC-T2000 t-stat (I don’t think this one ever materialized, though the capability was supposedly there…?).

If Qolsys does tell us that this is a device-specific issue and that they can do no more on their end, then I would ask if you could please send me as much case detail as possible (case number, names of folks involved in the Qolsys/Schlage technical discussions, technical description of the underlying issue, etc). In this eventuality, I’d absolutely want to go back to Schlage to pursue further. I haven’t even had these a full year yet and I would have difficulty accepting dead-ended z-wave support as an appropriate response.

Aren’t z-wave devices’ firmware able to be updated over z-wave in any case, or is this more of a device-specific feature/capability?

This is not a universal option, no. Device manufacturers must support it, and while sometimes possible, it is not always practical. The T2000 updates for example I believe were halted due to extreme difficulty in applying them safely.

Keep in mind I was just commenting on the possibility that the date specification is related to the issue we are seeing. I don’t know 100% that is the case.

I’ll see if I can get as detailed of an explanation as possible for this based on what Qolsys knows and go from there. I’m happy to provide as much as we can.

Here’s a quick update. I contacted Schlage about this, and they happily sent me a replacement Schlage BE469ZP. The replacement lock was manufactured just recently on Mar 2020. The firmware is different than my older one. Adding the new lock the to the IQ2 panel went well, no issues, no hiccups, just smooth addition. However, its unfortunate because there are still issues with my Schlage. The status of the lock, (ie. locked or unlocked) huge lag in the panel (if at all), and alarm.com doesn’t even report its activity. So for example, panel or alarm.com could say its locked, but it could actually be unlocked! And, when I manually lock/unlock nor the panel or alarm.com notices it (i.e. no annunciation or app notification). I remade all the rules after adding the lock. My other 2 locks are Weiser, work flawlessly. They are S0, while the Schlage is S2 encryption.

Do other people have issues with Schlage locks and Iq2 panels? I think this thread now should be a different thread.

Glad you were able to get a replacement with a newer firmware so easily. As for similar issues as to what you are reporting regarding the S2 Schlage lock, I dont believe its something we have come across before.

Does the lock function via remote command quickly or is that negatively impacted as well? Was the lock learned within 6 feet of the panel and there are extra repeating nodes installed as necessary.?

Hi Tyler, via remote command, its somewhat negatively impacted, but better than my first lock (which rarely responded on the first command, but always on the second command and lock status was not issue as well).

I wonder if this is the problem as I did NOT learn it in within 6ft of the panel. If you think this will solve the problem, I will try this. I did do rediscovery of all my devices after I added the lock, however.

With locks, proximity to the controller when learning it in is extremely important.

Definitely try relearning within 6 feet, leave the panel there until learning is complete. Then run a rediscovery with everything back in its final location.

thanks Jason and Tyler.

Strangest things ever. After following your advice and learning with 6 ft of the panel (after excluding/deleting successfully), and then installing and rediscovering, the lock continued to behave erratically. I then installed my old lock again (because the newer one was worse than my older one). This time I learned it within 6ft but, I did not run a rediscovery after installation. Would you believe if I told you that my old lock is now behaving flawlessly? (at least in the last few hours). Immediately, it starts announcing its status with no lag, and after I set up the alarm.com rule, I get the alarm.com notifications. It locks and unlocks upon command, consecutively. I never learned the lock at the panel before, and this was the difference.

I didn’t realize that a z-wave network can be so flaky. I guess I’ll use my second lock for parts.

One thing that is odd I had the automation rule where upon a smoke/fire alarm, it would unlock my front door (the Schlage), but now, I cannot set it up (with any of my locks). Why would I lose this functionality?

Automation > event-triggered rule > locks > …

I used to be able to click on “alarm” and choose “smoke/fire/CO event” to unlock my lock at this point but now I only have two options “arm/disarm” and “lock” and cannot re-create this rule. The feature was there a few hours ago, but now its disappeared :disappointed_relieved: