Very Concerned - Garage Door Opened in the Middle of the night

Last night we set our alarm at 10:03 PM and our sleep scene turns off many lights and sends a close garage doors command and lock allmthe locks command to be sure.

At 12:26AM we were awakened that our garage door opened and it did. We were dead asleep and no one opened it.

Why we’re all of the other lights and devices turnes on? We do Ave a rule that turns those on when the garage doors open a night, but am wondering why hey are not occuring after the garage door opened

Again, this is really disturbing

What happened here? This is super scary. What if we were away on vacation, we would have never known.

About one month ago, the garage door (different garage door, right one) was open when I knew it was closed after we left the house. I thought itmwas a fluke. Now I am really concerned

I also played back our security cameras and watched playback starting 5 minutes from when the garage door opened. No cars or people around our house during this time
Here is the history.

Happy to help, that’s definitely odd, but there are some things to consider.

Why we’re all of the other lights and devices turnes on? We do Ave a rule that turns those on when the garage doors open a night, but am wondering why hey are not occuring after the garage door opened

They turned on because you have a rule turning them on when the door opens. All those events were reported to Alarm.com essentially simultaneously, and the panel processes this rule locally. It would run even if you had no ADC connection.

At 12:26AM we were awakened that our garage door opened and it did. We were dead asleep and no one opened it.

Just in case, can you confirm the door was physically open? I ask that because it has occurred in a few prior cases where a Linear garage door has reported open without being open. They are using tilt sensors to determine status, which usually work well, but can experience false alarms from shock/vibration/wind.

What I can confirm from system history is that no data was sent through Alarm.com at that time. There was no command to open the door. Those events in history are the panel reporting the activity to ADC, and it would do so regardless of the method of opening the door, since tilt sensors are used.

That means garage keypad control, wall-button, car-fob, key-fob entry, or services/products like Homelink etc., would result in the exact same activity and rule activation.

Yes, I confirmed that the garage door was physically opened. I verified it by going out to the garage and also have video footage of it opening

Yes, I confirmed that the garage door was physically opened.

Thank you. What all options do you have to open the door? Consider any keyfobs or car fobs, numberpads, or third party controls like Homelink that would have direct communication with the overhead receiver.

garage door openers in the mirrors of all the cars

3 keyfobs which i just removed the batteries from

1 keypad

manual hardwired door switches to open

the linear devices

I just wanted to share my experience here, because this has happened to me 3 times already for my system IQ2/Linear (Overhead) Garage door opener. I know I don’t have the same system as you, so likely different issues/causes but I can share your grief a little.

In my case I also have automation to turn on the garage lights for 15 minutes when the garage door opens, however, luckily, I do have a garage camera with SVR and in all 3 cases, the garage door did NOT physically open. Just the lights turned on, and the panel and app announced that the overhead garage door opened and closed within a minute.

I’ve changed my battery in the tilt sensor, but it has happened once since changing the batteries, so could be something defective or wind/vibration as Jason mentioned.

3 keyfobs which i just removed the batteries from

Keyfobs are always the first thing I would consider. If you have key-chain keyfobs the most common cause I’ve seen for malfunction is them being run through the wash in pants or jacket pocket.

they are never used and were sitting in a drawer in the kitchen where they have been for years. there is no way a button was touched on any of these devices and I viewed video footage of the door opening and there was no one and no cars around our home

I’m not sure what version of software your running on your Qolsys panel but they released a TSB and an update that might address your issue. Alarm.com Releases Firmware Version 2.6.2 for IQ Panels - Alarm Grid

1 Like

Surety,

Although I have a 2Gig system could something on ADC end or 2Gigs end be the cause of this. ? I am basing this on the post above this one.

It is very concerning as you can imagine to know that your garage doors may open on their own. Mine have and now the other instance of me coming home and my garage door being open seems to not be so random (along with the incident I posted about)

Lately when I send commands from the app the commands fail. and it says that these time out. Frequently my garage doors are open or closed and they show the opposite on the app. So I hit the garage door button on the app to get it to the correct state and then try to close.

Could the ADC system be storing these commands and then they get executed later…much later (hours later)

This Technical Bulletin would suggest their is a possibility this is coming from ADC end. Just like all the problems I have with my shades and locks. I am also disappointed in their response time in dealing with these issues and the fact that I have to constantly remind for followup.

My garage doors opening when I may not be home is a huge liability should something happen… Again, I am asking that this be thoroughly investigated and not just put on the home owner (suggesting its my keyfobs for example as they have been in that drawer for years with no issue)

I am basing this on the post above this one…This Technical Bulletin would suggest their is a possibility this is coming from ADC end…

This was related to FW on the Qolsys IQ Panel 2 (and launch 4 FW) and specific Linear Garage Models using S2 encryption. The issue was resolved via FW update and not directly on ADCs end.

Lately when I send commands from the app the commands fail. and it says that these time out. Frequently my garage doors are open or closed and they show the opposite on the app. So I hit the garage door button on the app to get it to the correct state and then try to close.

Faililng/Slow remote commands would be more in line with poor panel signal strength and Z-Wave Mesh Network size and distance between repeating nodes.

Are commands successful/faster when performed locally?

Although I have a 2Gig system could something on ADC end or 2Gigs end be the cause of this. ?

Regarding Alarm.com, its not the likely culprit here. We can see when commands get sent and are acknowledged and neither occurred at that time.

This could potentially be an issue with the 2gig panel z-wave command buffer. Unfortunately, since 2gig doesn’t put z-wave events in any readable history their is no way of troubleshooting that to confirm. This is one possible cause but without the ability to see history here, this thinking is mere conjecture.

Some panels have this information and some do not. For example, with the Qolsys panel, diagnostic logs can be uploaded for review. but since we are looking at a GC2 that is not an option.

Ultimately it is more likely that any one the other sources that can open the garage, is the culprit and I would strongly suggest powering off, or better, deleting from programming, any devices that can do this that are not in use.

Just so you know, I am waiting for the IQ4 345 to be released to change over from this panel

I have a the go bridge so commands are fast and I have a Orbi Hub in my garage so signal strength is not an issue. I also base things off of “It worked fine for years, but lately has not”

I have so many z wave devices between the Linear garage door devices and my panels. That I doubt its a z wave signal issue

I took all the batteries out of the keyfobs so they are no longer operational.

Just so you know, I am waiting for the IQ4 345 to be released to change over from this panel

Still waiting on an ETA for this. It was supposed to be in production about a week or two ago. Which means it should be released soon.

I took all the batteries out of the keyfobs so they are no longer operational.

This is recommended if you are not using them. If the issue occurs again, any devices that are not powered on can be ruled out, I understand that this is less than desireable, Unfortuantely, given the lack of history in both ADC and at the panel, confirmation of the root cause is difficult to pinpoint.

Regarding the slowness of remote commands for z-wave I would run a z-wave network redsicovery, especially if local control is affected.

I had a similar issue and a neighbors remote was opening our door. Basically cleared all the codes on the opener itself reprogrammed the remotes and never had a problem after that.

This is not a remote issue because it occured when I ran sleep scene. It doesn’t just happen randomly at other times