Switching From GHS

I’ve read other threads on this topic so I think I understand what is expected of me. My 1 year extension with GHS expires at the end of the month so I’ve sent them in writing a request to move to month to month renewal. That will give me the flexibility to leave them them so want.

I have a Qolsys OG panel and an Alarm.com account (their equivalent of Gold) along with two thermostats, two MyQ garage door sensors, a ton of lights switches, outlets and wall worts connected via Zwave to the Qolsys panel and controlled by alarm.com.

When I choose to leave GHS and that’s officially done, I should be able to sign up with you, re-register my Qolsys control module with you and create a new alarm.com account. I of course would choose which monitoring services I want. With that I should be good to go, correct? I expect that since the system already works with alarm.com and has a cellular connection, all that should be compatible with your service. That assumes I keep my existing equipment.

I’m also strongly thinking about upgrading to the Q2 unit, swapping out my thermostats for the alarm.com thermostats (one upstairs and one downstairs)… and adding an extra remote thermostat to each floor… as well as adding a Skybell door bell plus the $3/mo Skybell service. Getting the Q2 control unit, the alarm.com thermostats and the Skybell door bell can all be done independent of each other, right? If I choose to upgrade to the Q2 control module, I’ll get 6 months of monitoring included for a value of just around $170, correct? Is that deal only for new customers?

I’ve installed and programmed almost all of the Zwave devices in the house so moving over should be a piece of cake for me.

With that I should be good to go, correct? I expect that since the system already works with alarm.com and has a cellular connection, all that should be compatible with your service. That assumes I keep my existing equipment.

Yes, as long as the prior Alarm.com account is cancelled the cellular communicator in the panel would be unregistered and ready for activation through Surety. We support all Alarm.com compatible systems.

I’m also strongly thinking about upgrading to the Q2 unit, swapping out my thermostats for the alarm.com thermostats (one upstairs and one downstairs)… and adding an extra remote thermostat to each floor… as well as adding a Skybell door bell plus the $3/mo Skybell service. Getting the Q2 control unit, the alarm.com thermostats and the Skybell door bell can all be done independent of each other, right? If I choose to upgrade to the Q2 control module, I’ll get 6 months of monitoring included for a value of just around $170, correct? Is that deal only for new customers?

Yep, you can add services and devices to your system as you go. Doorbell Camera service can be added at any time later, and device addition on the system is at your discretion.

If you purchase the IQ Panel 2+ through Surety here, yes you would receive the promotional free service trial. That deal can be extended to existing subscriptions as well, it just requires the IQ Panel 2+ be purchased from us of course.

Me again…

I’m ready to make the switch. I still have the same equipment as before (I never upgraded). I will submit my letter of intent to not renew my existing contract with GHS which runs thru the end of February. Do you know if the cellular communicator will automatically be unregistered with GHS so I can then register it with you?

We would not be able to speak to another dealers policy, you’ll want to find out from them. Typically, modules are unregistered during the account cancellation process.

However, to confirm, you are intending on using the Qolsys IQ Panel Generation 1, is that correct? This panel can no longer be used to sign up for new service as it only has a 3G cellular module. Alarm.com requires all new accounts to use 4G LTE modules as of June 2019.

1 Like

Hello there welcome to Surety U will love there service It’s amazing and u will love the upgraded Panel

1 Like

Interesting and not surprising. Yes I still have a Qolsys IQ Gen 1 unit. Is the Q2 unit still recommended? Are there any newer units that have the same features or better? I’m not tied to the brand.

With getting the newer g2 plus panel u will be able use the current qolsys sensors plus have option to use encrypted sensors from qolsys and powerg devices the Iq panel 2 plus is the top of line panel out on the market today u can view and answer ur doorbell from the panel or wireless touchscreens as well add outdoor sirens to the system

1 Like

If you intend on using your existing 319.5Mhz RF sensors, then the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ would be recommended.

We recommend the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ as it is the most user friendly and offers a lot of features/compatibility over other Alarm.com compatible panels.

1 Like

I plan to sign up for Surety Complete + hourly monitoring and add the following devices…

One 1Q2+ control unit
Two Alarm.com thermostats
Two extra thermostat sensors
One Skybell doorbell
Two outdoor cameras
One indoor camera
One Flood sensor
One Carbon monoxide sensor

I plan to reuse everything else I already have plus I’ll invest in a compatible irrigation control unit.

I may or may not be able to get them all at once as it’s really adding up quickly. I saw there is the financing option with the IQ2+ control module. Does that also extend to peripheral devices?

. I saw there is the financing option with the IQ2+ control module. Does that also extend to peripheral devices?

That is possible for all items purchased through Surety, depending on eligibility etc.

1 Like

Sorry one other quick question. Is it possible to start at a lower tier of service and then go to a higher tier and add new equipment later on?

Keep in mind u also don’t have to purchase all ur devices from here u can get them anywhere just be careful with cameras in case there tied to another account already if u would go on eBay for instance

1 Like

Service is offered on a month to month basis, so plans can be changed at any time. Want to start with Surety Home, then switch to Complete later? That is possible.

1 Like

just be careful with cameras in case there tied to another account already if u would go on eBay for instance

Agreed. Since ADC cameras can only be linked to one ADC account a time, they could be locked to another account. If that is the case, only the dealer who holds that account can typically do anything about it.

If you go that route, just be sure you can return the product for a refund.

1 Like

So I have officially given notice that has been formally accepted by GHS :+1:. I would like to start with a new IQ2+ control module, two Alarm.com thermostats, and 2 extra temperature sensors. I’ll add video and landscape monitoring later. This is very exciting!!!

Glad to hear it! If you want to purchase those items through Surety, you can find them on our storefront. I have linked the specified items below:

Qolsys IQ Panel 2 w/ 319.5MHz radio
Alarm.com T3000 Smart Thermostat
Alarm.com Remote Temperature Sensor

When purchasing the panel through Surety, it does include a complimentary month of the Surety Home service plan. Since plans are offered on a month to month basis, you can add video at a later date when you are ready.

Just let us know if you have any questions!

I have everything in my cart except hourly monitoring. How do I add that?

Also, I know I have to upgrade from my existing IQ1 panel to the IQ2+. Will I be able to tap into the existing wiring hub or will that need to be replaced, too? How does that work? I know the IQ2+ is able to use existing sensors. Thanks!

Are you referring to Hourly Supervision? Add ons are enabled after account creation and setup through your Surety account, they are not added to the cart.

You will want to use the included power supply with the IQ Panel 2+ but If the included cabling does not work, you can probably re-use the existing wiring form the old run.

With a new IQ Panel 2+ that should be the 7vDC power supply:
From the manual With the 7vDC Transformer: Use 18AWG wire no longer than 100ft to ensure sufficient\ power is received at the panel. * The minimum permissible wire size shall
not be smaller than 22 AWG

1 Like

Order placed :grin:. Excited to officially be one of the community :+1:.

Welcome to surety u will find amazing support and really outstanding monitoring service

1 Like