Switching from Frontpoint and having SMS issues

As we setup our new Surety system I have noticed we are not getting SMS messages that are set up in the alarm.com notifications tab. We are getting the push notifications and emails but the SMS messages are not being received.

Could this have something to do with these numbers being used on the Frontpoint account which is still active?

Could this have something to do with these numbers being used on the Frontpoint account which is still active?

No. That has no impact.

I see notifications being sent to two emails, two push devices, and two numbers for SMS messages. Your events in history all show these being generated.

What model of phone do you have and who is your phone carrier?

Double check that the carrier is selected properly, this has to be accurate so ADC can use the right SMS gateway.

Check to make sure that the texts aren’t being blocked automatically by any potential spam blocking app/carrier software.

What model of phone do you have and who is your phone carrier? Both are I Phone XS Max thru sprint

Double check that the carrier is selected properly, this has to be accurate so ADC can use the right SMS gateway. Double checked and both are set up with Sprint like they was with Frontpoint.

Check to make sure that the texts aren’t being blocked automatically by any potential spam blocking app/carrier software. No spam blocker app on either phone and none activated thru carrier that I’m aware of.

Let’s isolate the SMS then, try making a simple notification that can be tested, like a sensor activity notification for a door.

Just select one SMS number to test as the recipient. Wait about 10 minutes, then test the notification. Do you receive it? If not, when was it triggered? I’ll look at the history and verify when it was sent.

The test notification was triggered at 11:33. No SMS message

Aha, I just remembered there is actually an ongoing operations notice from Alarm.com about SMS issues with Sprint and some T-Mobile phones. They are working with the carrier to resolve but it is still an active widespread issue as of today.

This should be resolved soon without need for further troubleshooting, but I do not have an ETA at this time.

Ok thanks

Any update ?

Not yet, the latest update from Alarm.com on this issue is 4/10. It is still being investigated with the T-Mobile and Sprint carriers.

I assume the carriers have made alterations to their email sms gateway, but that is just a guess.

Any updates ?

Yes, it actually looks like this should be resolved. Did you get the arming reminder I see in history this morning The SMS issue with T-Mobile and Sprint is ongoing.

If you are still not seeing SMS notifications, can you try removing and re-adding those contact numbers in Alarm.com under Users and then re-adding them to the notifications. Does this resolve it?

Deleted and added both SMS numbers back to the Alarm.com account. Executed the notification labeled “Test”. Received the email associated with the notification but no SMS message. The SMS feature was working with the other alarm.com provider so it doesn’t
seem like Sprint is blocking it.

I understand the correlation, but for troubleshooting purposes I want to stress that there is zero functional difference in Alarm.com notifications from any Alarm.com service provider. They are all identical. A notification from one provider uses the exact same Alarm.com software as from any other provider.

This particular issue appears to possibly be due to the recent Sprint / T-Mobile merger. I’m not 100% sure, but it looks like recently changes were made to the SMS gateway. I looked up details on the number for your main contact and the email gateway looks like it is in a T-Mobile format.

If you select T-Mobile as your carrier now instead of sprint, is there any difference?

Deleted the associated number and added using the T Mobile selection. Added the number back to the test notification. Received the email associated with the notification but not the SMS notification.

Alright, thank you for testing that. I’ll see if I can get more details on this from Alarm.com and see if there are any known lingering issues. The operations alert regarding SMS has been cleared however, so that should be working. I will follow up here with suggestion from Alarm.com.

One other thing I think you can try as test is to manually add an email contact using your sms gateway format.

Try adding an email contact with the format xxxxxxxxxx@tmomail.net replacing the x’s with your phone number. Any luck?

If that doesn’t work you could try the Sprint one xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com but I think this has changed.

The sprint link worked on a test email to SMS. The T-Mobile test email was unsuccessful.

Alright, interesting, well that’s a short term work-around then. In circumstances where you want SMS notifications, you can use the email-sms address.

I’ll let ADC know that SMS is still unsuccessful otherwise for your account and have them investigate.

This is very strange when I use xxxxxxxxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com on my gmail account I will receive a text message. When I set up the same email address on my alarm.com account and execute my test notification I do not receive a text. Please let me know when Alarm.com updates you on this issue.

That is very weird, but led me to another discussion with ADC reps. I apologize, I just found out that the issue with T-Mobile and Sprint SMS messages is ongoing.

For some reason they removed the relevant operations alert from the active queue, as though it had been resolved, but it has not been fixed.

I’m pushing this higher up the chain at ADC to get an idea of what their expectation is on the resolution.