Switching from ADT

Hello, i currently have the TSSC panel with ADT pulse and want to leave ADT due to their high fees. However, i want to re-use my existing shock sensors, open/close sensors, and glass break sensors (hopefully the key fobs too). A few random questions:

1. if i get the IQ panel with alarm.com is it pretty easy to pair the panel to the existing sensors in place?
  2. i know the panel supports a lot of devices but will it specifically work with wifi devices like wemo plugs, amazon smart plugs, next thermosta, nest camera?
  3. currently my pulse panel is mounted to the wall on the main level with wire going through the wall to the basement where it’s plugged into the wall. do you think it’s possible to cut the wires at each end to discconnect the plug and panel and reconnect the IQ and it’s plug? maybe i’m oversimplifying.
  4. is the siren loud or do most ppl get a separate siren?

Can u take a photo of ur current system like the keypad and I can tel ya what can be reused and what can’t

To answer ur question on the WiFi devices the Iq panel can allow use of certain z wave devices not WiFi and alarm.com has thermostats to work with ur system if u want thermostat control and z wave control also if u want cameras u will need to purchase Alarm.com cameras

There is siren built in too the panel it’s very high pitch and if ur like upstairs or somthing it sounds like whistle going but u can purchase Powerg outdoor sirens and indoor sirens that r wireless that work really well with the alarm

Huh ok. thanks. sounds like the panel might not have as much benefit for me as i hoped if i can’t use my thermostat or devices through it. it’s mainly just a touch screen that shows weather and manages the alarm

Depending on that system u will have to replace the sensors too if u can show me what system u have I can tell u

if i get the IQ panel with alarm.com is it pretty easy to pair the panel to the existing sensors in place?

If the sensors are 5800 series Honeywell, which I believe are the ones that panel uses, yes, you could use them specifically with the 345Mhz version of the IQ Panel 2+ which is available here.

i know the panel supports a lot of devices but will it specifically work with wifi devices like wemo plugs, amazon smart plugs, next thermosta, nest camera?

No, wifi devices are generally not supported. Nest thermostats can be integrated through Alarm.com, but that is it for Nest.

Automation supported by the panel directly are Z-wave. Other ecosystems are compatible, like MyQ Garage, Lutron lighting, Rachio irrigation, etc.

currently my pulse panel is mounted to the wall on the main level with wire going through the wall to the basement where it’s plugged into the wall. do you think it’s possible to cut the wires at each end to discconnect the plug and panel and reconnect the IQ and it’s plug? maybe i’m oversimplifying.

Not over-simplifying at all. Generally yes, that’s all you would need to do, but it will depend on the length and gauge of the wire to make sure it will carry enough power to the panel. Voltage requirements are different between the two panels. Always be sure to use the included plug-in power supply with the IQ Panel.

How long is that cable? What gauge is it? Gauge will be written on the sheath.

is the siren loud or do most ppl get a separate siren?

It’s fairly piercing. I would say most people probably don’t use a separate siren, but they are easy to add, with PowerG siren support.

Thank you! As for the cable i would guess it’s 20-30’ long? i think the panel is almost directly above the plug (just one floor away obviously). Unfortunately none of the sheathing i can see has the gauge but i’ve attached a few pictures. the lettering says E191595-C (fairly certain the CMR lettering is the rating of the cable so not helpful here). i believe it’s 22awg. you’ll also see it has 4 wires, 2 of which are unused. Are you able to tell from this if it’d work?

That should be fine over that distance, yes it looks like 22AWG to me, and you can double up the conductors to be sure, 2 positive and 2 negative.

Thanks! What does doubling up the conductors do? I tried looking for a picture of the IQ2 plug but no luck. Is it like the honeywell one in my picture where it just has screws to connect the wiring to?

That is technically a picture of a 2GIG 14VDC transformer, but the Qolsys one is otherwise physically identical.

Doubling conductors imitates a larger wire gauge and reduces voltage drop. Doubling 22AWG you effectively end up with something in between 20 and 18AWG

1 Like

Thanks again. Hopefully my last few questions.

1. When I set up the new panel will there be an issue having the IQ take over the new sensors since they’re currently linked to my TSSC panel with ADT? Or do i need to de-link them first?
  2. what shock & open/close combo sensor do you recommend for french doors with the 345mhz system? i say specifically french doors because they’re a bit different with the post in the middle. and i like the shock aspect of the sensor
  3. i have a shed in the yard that will be about ~40 feet from the IQ panel and i’d like to protect it as well. do you recommend a particular sensor for the inside of that door? i think it’d be a diff type of sensor since it doesn’t close as flush as a normal house door (i.e., it has a bit of a gap when closed)
  4. i noticed your site (and others to purchase the sensors from) don’t have real world pictures of what the sensors look like installed. do you know where i could find that?
  5. if i’m going to wall mount and run the wire through the wall do you recommend i set it up before wall mounting and connect it to all devices then install it on the wall? or will that require a whole setup done twice?

When I set up the new panel will there be an issue having the IQ take over the new sensors since they’re currently linked to my TSSC panel with ADT? Or do i need to de-link them first

Those 345 sensors are just one way communication devices that broadcast their status. No need to mess with TSSC programming, you can just learn them into the new panel.

what shock & open/close combo sensor do you recommend for french doors with the 345mhz system? i say specifically french doors because they’re a bit different with the post in the middle. and i like the shock aspect of the sensor

I would use the PowerG model for new devices that you add in most circumstances. The PowerG shock sensor can be found here:

I have a shed in the yard that will be about ~40 feet from the IQ panel and i’d like to protect it as well. do you recommend a particular sensor for the inside of that door? i think it’d be a diff type of sensor since it doesn’t close as flush as a normal house door (i.e., it has a bit of a gap when closed)

Yes, you’ll need to use an outdoor rated contact. These also have a wider magnetic gap than standard door sensors.

i noticed your site (and others to purchase the sensors from) don’t have real world pictures of what the sensors look like installed. do you know where i could find that?

It is not terribly common to see the individual sensors photographed in the installation location. Some product pages in our store have some photos of sensors installed, mostly S-Line Qolsys sensors (not compatible with the 345 version of the panel.)

The dimensions of the sensors can be found on every product page as well.

if i’m going to wall mount and run the wire through the wall do you recommend i set it up before wall mounting and connect it to all devices then install it on the wall? or will that require a whole setup done twice?

Yes, it is fine to program all of your sensors first and use the panel a bit before wall mounting, even recommended.

More often than not, users will find that they interact with the system more via their phones than anything, meaning the panel doesn’t necessarily need to be prominent on the wall and can be placed on a table or shelf.

1 Like

I got the powerg shock sensor installed but had a few follow up questions on that and other stuff:

1. I added the powerg sensor as a door/window. Do I also need to re-add it as a shock sensor? I tried doing that but it seemed like the system wouldn’t recognize it a second time when I put it in auto enroll on the panel and hit the enroll button on the sensor
  2. I noticed that the chime on the powerg is a bit delayed compared to my other Honeywell sensors. Maybe a few seconds slower to make noise at the panel. Not a big deal but is that normal for powerg?
  3. I saw on alarm.com that nest thermostats cannot currently be added and i didn’t see an update on the forum. have you heard anything?
  4. is there a way to get push notifications or text/email alerts when my glass break sensor is tripped but the alarm is disarmed? i used to have this set up on my ADT system with the thought that we could be on the top floor of the house and not hear glass break in the basement when the system is disarmed. it looks like on alarm.com website that it excludes glassbreak from alerts, which seems odd

Also wanted to say your tip on the wiring worked great - thank you! Now if you could just fix the wall for me :joy:

I added the powerg sensor as a door/window. Do I also need to re-add it as a shock sensor? I tried doing that but it seemed like the system wouldn’t recognize it a second time when I put it in auto enroll on the panel and hit the enroll button on the sensor

Qolsys states to learn it in once, as Shock/Other Shock. Relevant options will be available in that programming screen for the PG9935.

Choose Door-Window M for sensor type.

I noticed that the chime on the powerg is a bit delayed compared to my other Honeywell sensors. Maybe a few seconds slower to make noise at the panel. Not a big deal but is that normal for powerg?

I’ve heard reports of a short delay in some cases that resolved after a bit of time. The PowerG sensors use adaptive battery power levels, so if you are moving the sensor or panel around a lot it may impact that at first.

I saw on alarm.com that nest thermostats cannot currently be added and i didn’t see an update on the forum. have you heard anything?

Last year when Google got rid of the Works With Nest program there was a period of time when new Nest thermostats couldn’t be added. That was resolved and they can be synced through the Add Device wizard on the Alarm.com website.

is there a way to get push notifications or text/email alerts when my glass break sensor is tripped but the alarm is disarmed? i used to have this set up on my ADT system with the thought that we could be on the top floor of the house and not hear glass break in the basement when the system is disarmed. it looks like on alarm.com website that it excludes glassbreak from alerts, which seems odd

Alarm.com does indeed set glass break detectors as ineligible for activity monitoring. I believe the argument is that some installers set Glass Break detectors as 24 hour zones which will set off an alarm immediately regardless of arming state, which is fine, but there’s nothing stopping an installer from setting other zones that way as well.

I’ve made this recommendation to ADC a handful of times, and I will push it again. There is no reason to base it on the equipment type instead of the sensor group in this case.

I just edited the sensor to change it to “shock” but now it doesn’t recognize when i open the door. Do i need to delete the sensor and re-add it as “shock/other shock”?

Thanks!

Yes, try relearning that zone for Shock/Other Shock per the Tyco/Qolsys support instructions. They indicated that should cover both functions. Let me know if you still run into trouble.

EDIT: Choose Door-Window M for sensor type.

Sorry this problem won’t go away. I deleted the sensor and re-added it using the default option that came up (see picture). But now it doesn’t recognize the door opening. Do you have a link for the site you’re referencing or have any other ideas? Also, after I open then close the door it says “deck door activated.” No idea what that means. The DSG manual I’ve been using is Here

Alright, I think I got a confused rep previously, my assumption for that zone type would be Door Window M, but Tyco insisted Shock.

I just confirmed my assumption with another rep.

Apologies for the bad info before, setting it as a shock sensor will not use both functions properly, and it will be displayed as “activated” instead of “open”.

Choose Door-Window M for sensor type.

No problem, appreciate the update. Do you think i can just update the sensory type rather than deleting and re-adding? I only ask because i’ve had problems doing the latter method. I can’t seem to figure out what the problem is but it always takes a random amount of times hitting the tamper switch before it enrolls into the system