SmartThings as secondary controller

Hi

I have the Qolsys IQ panel 2. I also have a Samsung SmartThings v2 Hub. Is it possible to a have the SmartThings work as a secondary z-wave controller? I have seemed to get it working twice and was able to add the SmartThings to the Qolsys panel only for it to drop from the device list a short while later. I’m not sure if that is a network issue (seems unlikely given the distance) or a device incompatibility.

Ideally I would like to be able to control my Linear garage door open from both the panel and via SmartThings automation routines.

Thanks

I have seemed to get it working twice and was able to add the SmartThings to the Qolsys panel only for it to drop from the device list a short while later.

Are you saying the ST controller’s node is deleted from the IQ Panel 2? Does this follow any pattern of activity or apparent cause? Does it happen after adding other devices, or after a panel reboot, or is it so far just random?

Just to clarify, I see a Z-wave controller node listed in your devices now. Did you recently re-link the two?

Hi Jason,

No the ST node is still showing on the IQ Panel 2. I just lose status and control of my Linear garage door opener through ST. I can still control the garage door through the panel and Alarm.com

I only have 2 z-wave devices outside of ST and the IQ Panel2. A GE outdoor light switch module that functions as the repeater to reach our garage and the Linear.
I’m always able to control the GE light switch from ST, the IQ Panel 2 and alarm.com. For some reason after time I lose the garage door opener through ST. Trying to repair the network doesn’t work.

I just went through the whole process again Sunday night. I excluded ST from the panel and then re-added it. I get the following message:

“You are about to include a z-wave compatible device that is not promoted by Qolsys for use in this application. While the device should work as expected the device features may or may not be support by the Qolsys”

I was able to control both the GE light and the door from ST, the panel and from alarm.com (web or app). However this functionality was shortlived and I lose ST. Should this setup work with ST, the IQ Panel 2 and alarm.com all able to control the the garage door opener? It’s possible I just have a communication issue between all the devices given distances between devices. Just trying to eliminate possibilities.

Typically if it is a compatibility issue I would expect that it would never work with ST, not work for a while then fail.

If it works for a short while you are most likely looking at a signaling issue. Note that sending a command through one of the controllers does not route it through the other, only repeating AC powered nodes like the light switch.

What are the distances between the controllers and the garage, and where is the light switch in relation?

We have a How To for this now.

Is the support only for the IQ Panel 2+ or should this also work with a standard IQ Panel 2?

Should work for both but have not tested to confirm at this time.