Smart Away problems

Lately Smart Away has not been working for my two ADC T2000 thermostats. The only option I have selected is to activate when Armed Away. I do not use geofencing and it is not selected. However, even when the system is armed away, the thermostat is not honoring the Away temperature I have set in the schedules. Schedules are activated for both thermostats.

The only other thing I’ve noticed is that occasionally (I’d say maybe 5-10% of the time), the scheduled temperature changes don’t occur as they are supposed to. Not sure if this might indicate a Z-wave issue.

Any ideas? Again, I’m having the Smart Away problem with both thermostats.

The only other thing I’ve noticed is that occasionally (I’d say maybe 5-10% of the time), the scheduled temperature changes don’t occur as they are supposed to. Not sure if this might indicate a Z-wave issue.

If you are having issues with both smart away and schedule temps, I would first try disabling, then editing and re-enabling the schedule to send it to the system and save it again.

Turn off smart away. Wait ten minutes, turn it back on.

That said, I looked at your history and it looks like the vast majority of the arming events in history are arm Stay, not Away (the rule won’t trigger on Stay arming). There are some Away events, and to be sure we can investigate the right events here can you provide examples of times when the temp does not apply correctly?

I armed away this morning and the temp did not apply. I had to manually change it several hours later. I can’t exactly recall when it happened before that because, as you note, we aren’t away all that often, but it is failing more times than not so I don’t think you’d have to dig very deep to find other examples.

but it is failing more times than not so I don’t think you’d have to dig very deep to find other examples.

So that we can best assist, please always try to include examples of when aberrant behavior occurs. If it is always happening try to include when it began, but if it sometimes works we do need to know when it works vs when it does not to help identify a pattern if possible.

Your history shows the system successfully transitioning to Away status in each event.

Also if you override the schedule with a manual adjustment of the temp I believe it will not follow any schedule effects or away temp until the manual override is gone. Functionally this happens when the thermostat schedule would next change.

I do see a temp change before the away event which would apply today.

If you frequently adjust the temp manually as well, this may explain the behavior itself.

Otherwise, if that is not the cause, I would first try disabling, then editing and re-enabling the schedule to send it to the system and save it again.

Turn off smart away. Wait ten minutes, turn it back on.

This is helpful info about manual adjustments overriding Smart Away. However, nobody manually adjusted the set temp before leaving this morning, so I really wonder why it is showing otherwise on your end. That is very strange.

In general, it’s unusual for us to manually change the temp. When we do, it’s almost almost me doing it because a schedule or Smart Away has failed to activate when it was supposed to. So I don’t believe manual adjustments are the source of the problem here.

This morning, I armed away at approximately 7:50 am and then checked the app 3 hours later. For absolute certain, ADC showed the set temperature on each thermostat had not transitioned to the Away temp I have set. So I manually adjusted the temp 3 hours after ADC failed to do so. Could the app/website be failing to update status accurately?

Again, I don’t have a specific recollection of failures prior to this morning but will keep a long from now on. I only manually adjust after a lengthy period of time has passed and the app does not reflect a change in the set temp.

I will also toggle schedule as your recommend and see if reliability improves.

This is helpful info about manual adjustments overriding Smart Away. However, nobody manually adjusted the set temp before leaving this morning, so I really wonder why it is showing otherwise on your end

Apologies, you are right, I was looking at the wrong thermostat of the two, the event I referenced was actually an event noted for when one thermostat switched to its scheduled temp. The other thermostat is not scheduled to change at that time (and has a different set point for that time).

The weird thing is that it is inconsistent in history. I do not see many events at all for the “Central” thermostat in a two week period, with no schedule changes at all listed. I see far more for the “Upstairs” one, but still not all the events I would expect. This may indeed suggest a signaling issue with Z-wave.

As a general step you might want to first run a network rediscovery. It looks like the last one was run in December.

I’ve run a network rediscovery and toggled the schedules as recommended, but Smart Away is still not working at all. However, the normal schedule changes when disarmed or armed Stay are working. Any other thoughts?

I am having Alarm.com send some additional troubleshooting commands, including one to rebuild all rules. Allow about 30 minutes before any testing.

The problem persists. I’ve had several Arm Away events over the past few days and Smart Away never activated.

Alright thank you for confirming. I’ll follow up here after speaking with ADC on this issue.

It looks like you may have relearned one of the thermostats into the panel yesterday. Is that true? That was going to be my suggestion, deleting and relearning the thermostat.

Any improvement?

I did re-learn a thermostat for an unrelated issue, but I will observe the Smart Away functionality the next time we go into Away status.

Alarm.com informed me that they had received other similar reports and the smart away failures were being investigated at this time. They did ask whether relearning the device had an effect, so let us know what you find!

Ok, first Arm Away instance this morning since your message. Unfortunately no change to the thermostat set point, so relearning apparently is not a solution.

Alright, thank you, I will update ADC. They are still investigating this. The resolution will likely be on the back end.

Hi, wondering if there’s any update on this or ETA for a resolution? It would be beneficial to have this feature back with winter weather here.

I did receive an update that they believe they found the issue. I do not see a confirmed resolution, but it would be good to test. Can you try toggling that off and on? Any change?

Tried this but it is still not working.

Thank you, I am following up with ADC techs to see where this is at.

Hi Jason, it has been 8 months and still no resolution on this problem. Has ADC given up on this? This was a valued feature for me, and not having it has resulted in wasteful HVAC usage all winter.