skybell firmware

Having issues with the motion detection. I’ve changed all of the ‘motion sensitivities’ via ADC and waited the 3 + minutes for the update.

I can walk up to the door from 20’ away and it doesn’t trigger motion till I’m standing at my door. This is the case on ALL of the motion settings (low, medium, high, very high)

Called Skybell… I’m running firmware 5021. They tell me that’s 2 versions old. Can you push the update to me or do I need to delete the skybell from ADC and download the skybell app via my phone to get the update pushed?

Hoping this helps with my issue.

Happy to help!

Motion detection will depend heavily on the speed and nature of the motion. According to support, to avoid false triggers motion must occur for 7 seconds before a motion triggered clip is started. This is the architecture that Skybell put in place. A pre-trigger recording is added to try to bring the start of the video clip in line with the start of the motion.

Motion detection will never “trigger” immediately upon sensing motion (unless it is malfunctioning).

5021 is the latest supported firmware through ADC. In fact, I believe the version immediately prior to 5021 addressed a separate motion detection bug.

You can check if new firmware versions are supported by navigating to the video page in Alarm.com and going to Video Device Info for the Skybell.

To apply an unsupported firmware you would need to delete the Skybell and pair it through the Skybell native app. Note that the Skybell may not function through Alarm.com afterward. Flashing older firmware is not typically tested or supported by device manufacturers.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, Jason but that was really not helpful.

I can walk around in circles at 3, 5, 7, 12 feet from the door on all sensitivity setting (again after waiting a full 3-4 min) and it doesn’t trigger till I’m a foot or two from the door.

Thanks for the quick reply, Jason but that was really not helpful.

Did Skybell inform you this was known and that their latest firmware version resolved this? If so the steps to apply are above. Unfortunately you would need to delete it from Alarm.com in order to apply the latest version from Skybell to the HD (this would not apply to a Slim Line version as it uses different firmware).

Alarm.com reps state that they do have access to send 5025 (should be rolled out soon I’m told), but the latest 5026 is still undergoing a lot of testing.

If you would like to try 5025, that could be sent by ADC (still a beta firmware technically.)

I can walk around in circles at 3, 5, 7, 12 feet from the door on all sensitivity setting (again after waiting a full 3-4 min) and it doesn’t trigger till I’m a foot or two from the door.

Did you see different performance out of this device previously? Or has it always behaved this way?

Typical range for the PIR is going to be 8 feet. If it seems like sensitivity settings are not affecting the PIR, it would be good to try power cycling the Skybell.

To power cycle the Doorbell Camera press and hold the main button on the Doorbell Camera until the LED begins a blue rapid strobe flash. The power cycle could take up to 2 minutes.

After it fully boots up again, try adjusting the sensitivity and motion recording schedule and test. Any noticeable difference?

I’m on 5021 and having the exact same problem. It use to pick up everyone and now I can walk up to it and it won’t trigger until i am 1" from it.

I even did a reset and fresh install.

Is it possible to try the 5025 firmware?

Is it possible to try the 5025 firmware?

Yes, 5025 should be available, we can request ADC pushes it to see if it has an effect on this. Would you like us to do that now?

Who are you???

Yes,

That was strange. Your reply showed the name Timothy as the poster a sec ago…

Was logged under a test user to test back-end updates, apologies for confusion. Alright, I’ll contact Alarm.com and request that firmware be pushed for your Skybell HD.

Once this process has started we will confirm here. After it is complete you can confirm the firmware on the Video Device Info page, however do not press any prompt to update (as you will have firmware which is not marked as the latest production version, 5021)

Awesome, thanks.

Your Skybell HD should be updated to 5025 at this time. You can go ahead and try testing. Let us know any changes!

Picked me up at the 3-4’ mark on medium.

Seems better already.

Great news, thank you for following up!

Could you push the update to mine as well?

Thank you

Could you push the update to mine as well?

Thank you

Certainly. 5025 should be applied to your Skybell HD at this time. Go ahead and test when able.

Can I have the update pushed to my Skybell HD as well.

Can I have the update pushed to my Skybell HD as well.

Certainly, note that you have an older model of Skybell HD with a different firmware structure, but the comparable version, 1148, has been applied. Go ahead and test when able.

I performed the upgrade and it showed successful. The device rebooted but it still shows firmware version 1141 instead of 1148. Any suggestions? Does it need to be reapplied.

I performed the upgrade and it showed successful. The device rebooted but it still shows firmware version 1141 instead of 1148. Any suggestions? Does it need to be reapplied.

1148 was previously applied and showed as the current firmware version in settings.

You should not click upgrade in this case. These are beta firmware versions that are not available for users yet. With beta firmware, your video device info page will show the latest firmware as the prior version and clicking “Upgrade” will flash the latest production version (reverting the version back).

We will request Alarm.com re-apply and confirm when it is complete.

The firmware update should be complete at this time. You should be able to test the motion detection at this time.