Setting up IQ Panel 4 with existing 5800 sensors

I’m trying to set up the sensors that are already installed throughout the house with the IQ Panel 4 I’ve just installed. The setup wizard recognized and added the front door sensor, then going into the settings I was able to get it to auto-find and add the front window sensor and back door sensor. It was also about to auto-find the back window sensor but could not add it as it couldn’t get it’s ID number or something.

For the ones that were added successfully, the status of the front door says it’s always open, the back door says it’s always closed (even when open), and the front window when closed continuously switches from open to closed and back.

Also since it can’t get the number off the back window sensor, it won’t move on to any of the homes other sensors either. I assumed going into this that one or two sensors may need new batteries or something, but they all seem to be haywire so far and I’m unsure how to continue testing them all.

Happy to assist!

The setup wizard recognized and added the front door sensor, then going into the settings I was able to get it to auto-find and add the front window sensor and back door sensor. It was also about to auto-find the back window sensor but could not add it as it couldn’t get it’s ID number or something.

Do not use the wizard. Its great for first time setup for brand new, in the box sensors, but its not that useful for takeovers.

Program each sensor from panel programming. A Guide can be found below for common programming types:

Sensor IDs are printed on the sensor, typically on the back, and will match what shows in programming when using Auto Learn Mode.

• Go one at a time. Make sure the sensor programs in correctly and that its status reports at the panel correctly before moving on to the next sensor.
  • When doing this, its not a bad idea to power down any motion sensors while going around to all of the other sensors first. Motions can be triggered accidentally when using auto learn mode. Save the motions for last.

I am seeing that the panel is not signaling via cellular currently as well. While this wont stop you from programming sensors locally, it will impact the panel’s ability to send status updates to Alarm.com over cellular

To begin troubleshooting:

• Disarm the System
  • Unplug the Power Supply from the wall
  • Open the panel and disconnect the internal battery
  • Leave the panel completely off for at least 2 minutes
  • During this time, check the module
    • Make sure it is connected properly
      -Make sure the antenna are firmly connected and not touching any metal (or one another) when wall mounted
  • After 2 minutes minimum, plug in the battery and power supply
  • After boot up, wait 5 minutes and check signal strength

I’m kinda pulling my hair out at this response. You say not to use the wizard, but the wizard I was referring to in my op is the auto learn mode which you then say to use, which is how I got the problems I outlined in my op.

My issue, as stated in the op, is that the sensors I’ve added so far through the auto learn mode are all not functioning properly in various ways and so how do I determine whether it’s because they are bad, or have run out of battery, or I messed up somewhere in adding them, etc.

The sensors have no numbers printed on them.

I popped one open and I assume the number there is the sensor number.

The auto learn mode is not finding the sensors very well. There are like 30 sensors and it’s found 4 in like 30 minutes. Is this normal?

Maybe my sensors have been hibernating to not drain battery? I pop the tops off and the blue light of them come on and then I’m able to pair them.

Several of these issues appear to have come from the sensors being mislabelled when I added them, so I thought the door was going crazy when it was the window sensor, etc.

The Installation Wizard is built in to the panel and is intended for first time set up. This wizard appears when you first power on the panel, and any subsequent time you power up the panel.

Auto learn sensor is a step in panel programming. It is recommended to skip the wizard and program sensors one at a time from the Secuirty Sensors page in local panel programming. To get there, navigate to:

• Settings
  • Advanced Settings
    -Enter the Installer Code or Dealer Code
  • Installation
  • Devices
  • Security Sensors
  • Auto Learn Sensor

You may want to delete any learned in sensors and start from scratch to avoid confusion. then learn in the sensors one at a time.

For example, learn in the front door as a start.

Following the above guide, navigate to Auto Learn Sensor. When in this state, the panel is listening for a sensor to be triggered. At this time open the front door, moving the magnet away from the sensor to trigger it. The panel should then have that sensor learned in.

The sensor ID in programming should match what is printed on the sensor. This is how you verify that the sensor information in programming matches the physical sensor.

• The Sensor ID is typically printed on the back of the sensor but may also be inside its housing
    • If printed on the back it will likely be obscured by the mounting tape.
  • Motion sensors can be accidentally triggered during the Auto Learn Mode when moving about the home. This is why powering the motions down first may save you headaches as it is easy to trigger the motion accidentally and think you triggerd a door or window sensor.

Once the first sensor is learned in, exit programming mode and test the sensor. Is it triggering correctly at the panel? If so, move on to the next sensor.