Sensor wierdness - garage door opened during sleep scene that closes it

I have a 2gig sensor on one of my garages. Is programmed as a safety (announce only)

Why I shut the door, instead of saying closed, it frequently says open, then closed. (It announces both instead of just one)

I have a sleep scene that closes all my garage doors as a safeguard. The garage doors where closed. Ran the sleep scene and it said “garage open” then said “garage closed” then m alarm armed per the scene. I looked at my security cameras and the garage doormwas open!!! I ran this at 10:27 pm tonigt

What happened here?!

This happened with my 2gig panel where the garage door opened and i didn’t open it and it was one of the reasons i decided to get a new panel

Please refer to this thread Very Concerned - Garage Door Opened in the Middle of the night - #13 by tyler

ADC showed door as closed. Looked at panel and itmshowed open.

I actually notifications set up because of this issue to notify my if garage doors are opened or closed. I received no notification during this incident ?

Also, my panel,shows nothing open but ADC shows all of these open

Why I shut the door, instead of saying closed, it frequently says open, then closed. (It announces both instead of just one)
I have a sleep scene that closes all my garage doors as a safeguard. The garage doors where closed. Ran the sleep scene and it said “garage open” then said “garage closed” then m alarm armed per the scene. I looked at my security cameras and the garage doormwas open!!!

You have two linear Z-wave openers. Both look like they are part of the rule. Which one was open? It looks like you are referencing the Right Garage Door, based on history, is that correct?

Can you provide a photo of both the reporting sensor you have on the door that was open, and the 2GIG Z-wave opener tilt sensor that is used to inform that device of the door’s position?

Your Right Garage Door was in fact reporting open before the scene was run. The tilt sensors for both the linear Z-wave device and the reporting one reported the door closed right after running the scene, then the tilt reports another open/close shortly after.

In general, a Z-wave “close” signal will not open a device. Close and Open are distinct commands, not a toggle.

One common cause for confusion or doors not being closed despite running a command or scene to do so is the Safety features of an overhead. If the device cannot close physically due to blockage, or if the safety eye is tripped the door will reopen.

I’ve seen this occur often where tilt sensors will report the change as the door closes, then the door reverts due to safety override. Your history looks identical to what would happen in that case.

The oddity is how the Z-wave one didn’t report open again after the fact, but you already know the door was open and it wasn’t indicating it correctly. and tilt sensors are kind of notorious for being fickle.

I’d like to see a photo of those sensors how they are installed on the door, and if this happens somewhat frequently make sure there isn’t anything dangling off the door like a pull rope, etc., that might break a safety eye beam when closing.

you are correct, it was the Right Garage that is at issue here.

Attached are pictures of the tilt sensor (black thing in upper right) as well as multiple views of the sensors that look pretty solid as far as contact.

So other than the Z-wave device tilt sensor, which can be prone to status issues as a tilt sensor, the history looks like what I suggested, where your DW10 there likely almost closed but the door reopened. You then manually closed the door.

Is the door out of alignment at all? As in is it a little crooked when coming down? Do you ever notice it reopening at other times when closing the door?

I will say that I do not recommend the DW10 in the garage like that, it certainly impacts the life span of the sensor, more extremely in very cold environments, but I don’t think that is a factor in this case

I dont think there are alignment issues as I never hear it announce open or closed randomly.

That magnet is pretty tight up against it. As soon as that door opens, I would think it clears way out of the way very quickly and completely

I can not recall instances where I close and it reopens outside of the incidents I have reported. T here was one case where I went out there and my door was wide open and I dont recall opening it. . Its was only during that one time where I posted and linked to the post or where I do things like execute a sleep scene.

We have perfect whether. where I live. No cold. I just replaced one sensor with a Power G window contact I bought from you.

Which sensors would you place on the garage doors if not the DW 10’s??

Per my original text, why are the family room windows showing open when the panel doesnt show that.

Why are the tilt sensors showing inaccurate status and is there a way to fix?

This is also why I made a suggestion for you to make to ADC for notifications. If my garage door is open, I would want it to keep texting me every 15 minutes as 1 text notification is easy to ignore.

Also, I wonder why when it opened, last night, I didn’t get any notification?

Per the above post, the family room windows cleared last night. The rest of the questions are still applicable.

Obviously I am concerned and worried that my garage doors can be open at any time when I don’t open them. We may or may not solve this, so the suggestion to have a constant alert (you set the interval…like every 10 minutes until turned off ) may be a work around.

We have perfect whether. where I live. No cold. I just replaced one sensor with a Power G window contact I bought from you. Which sensors would you place on the garage doors if not the DW 10’s??

Yeah that’s why I added the caveat that it is more of an issue where it gets cold, but humidity and condensation can also potentially cause issues over time. Generally, I always have to recommend an outdoor rated model for use inside a garage, like the 2GIG DW30 or PG9312.

That’s not to say your sensor hasn’t worked fine the whole time or that it is definitively a cause of a problem right now, but it is always a possibility.

Why are the tilt sensors showing inaccurate status and is there a way to fix?

For the Linear tilt sensor, try opening the door manually with the button a couple times. Does the status sync up? If not check the battery in that tilt sensor, it very well may be low and need replaced.

Also, I wonder why when it opened, last night, I didn’t get any notification?

I don’t see a notification set up regarding the Right Garage Door.

the suggestion to have a constant alert (you set the interval…like every 10 minutes until turned off ) may be a work around.

I can suggest this to ADC as a structural change suggestion in terms of rule creation, but you can sort of do this already.

You can create a sensor activity notification for the garage doors which notifies you immediately when they open, then create separate sensor left open notifications for those doors which notify you when they have been open for a period of time.

You cannot set it up to notify you ad nauseum every 10 minutes, and Alarm.com I don’t think would ever permit endless notifications, but the general effect you are going for can be done, with multiple reminders.

Ok. Changed batteries

I discovered that it takes barely any tilt for the tilt sensor to register open. So now I can see how wind could give you false alarms. Also the foam panels of garage doors are flexible and over time may not be completely straight

I think it’s best to mount the tilt sensors on the metal portion of the doors. It’s stiff. I tapped on various places and on some sides it moved more than others so I mounted on the highest point, on metal that moved the least.

Time will tell, but though users should know it really surprised me how little the tilt sensor has to move to show open.

9:18 pm update. Set panel to sleep scene which closes all 3 garage doors. After doing so right garage opens. The door read closed before we executed sleep scene on the app

We were notified this time so that’s good. why does it open our garage door when the close command is in the sleep scene

Also when im went tomthe app to try an close it was stuck on the light page. I had to logout and the relog back into the app

Let’s say the garage incorrectly read to be open. Should the close command not matter as it would close an already closed door?

Don’t seem to have issue with middle and left garage door, all getting the same commands during the sleep scene

Also, when i closed the garage door it said “garage closed”, then garage open, then garage closed, via voice announcement. It ultimately ended up on close. It also is windy tonight but not crazy winds. If wind was the issue, it should say open and close during the windy night and it doesnt.

Please Look at the command history at 9:18. Tons of voice commands to turn off lights which we didn’t say. We only said to turn on sleep scene via Alexa. Also look at where it arms. It says it told the garage to open even though in the sleep scene it clearly says close. Could this be yet another ADC glitch?

I really need you help. I am not feeling secure going on vacation. Lights don’t turn on correctly during sunrise and sunset and it seems odd that it takes ADC this long to resolve this. I can’t worry about my garage doors staying shut. I’m sure you agree. Please help me figure this out

Please Look at the command history at 9:18. Tons of voice commands to turn off lights which we didn’t say. We only said to turn on sleep scene via Alexa. Also look at where it arms. It says it told the garage to open even though in the sleep scene it clearly says close. Could this be yet another ADC glitch?

All those commands are the individual components of the Sleep Scene you activated by voice at that time. That is normal.

There is no “Open” command sent to the garage. There is a Close barrier device command sent, then later the door reports an open status, both the alarm sensor and the GD00Z tilt sensor, and there is a command response status stating that it was unable to confirm close.

Let’s say the garage incorrectly read to be open. Should the close command not matter as it would close an already closed door?

If the door was indeed closed already then there would be an error occurring with the GD00Z itself. A Z-wave close command would not open a door. An off command will not turn on a light. If you send a close command with the door open, it should close. If you send a close command with it closed, it should do nothing. The device itself would be malfunctioning in a serious way if it is opening.

The Right Garage Door should act in the exact same way as the Middle Garage Door. It appears they are both part of that scene, and they are the exact same model of garage opener with the same Z-wave version.

If you know that the Right Garage door was actually physically closed when you sent the command, I would delete and factory reset that GD00Z, then relearn it, add it back to the scene, then test that scene command again.

Thanks Jason

Why do you think on my Right Garage Door, when I open, it announces open, when its about 3/4 way open it announces open again. Then when I close it announces close when its close to being almost closed. Then it announces open, then closed again.

I did move the tilt sensor per my posts before to a higher place.

And I have not repaired the zwave yet.

Is there a way to recalibrate this tilt senor or something else I should be looking at? or does the factory reset to that?

The middle and left t doors do not seem to do this, but the left is a completley different MyQ system with everything built into the opener

The tilt sensor is either broken, installed with the incorrect orientation, or the GD00Z main unit is malfunctioning. The tilts come paired with the unit from the factory.

Factory reset the GD00Z, and if it still behaves the same way, I would replace it.

OK , did everything you said. We will see what happens.

If I need to replace, is this GDZ00Z still the best thing to replace it with? Can you purchase just the tilt sensors? I’m guessing no as they are factory paired.

Garage options include the GD00Z units, Liftmaster MyQ, or Genie Aladdin Connect

thank you. Didnt know about the Genie one.

In your opinion, is one better than the other? Less issues?

Slightly more issues tend to follow models that use tilt sensors. If your openers are compatible with a MyQ or Aladdin Connect option that does not use tilt sensors, it is generally the most reliable as you eliminate a failure point and battery requirement.

I have marentec openers so the linear and genie are all that will work

Does the genie use tilt sensors?

I didn’t realize the genie models were compatible. I thought they were wifi and no zwave and they appear to use a tit sensor.
I too have Marantec openers so I have few options.

You would need to use a model that makes use of Tilt sensors unless your overhead controllers have Aladdin Connect built in.

I have an MyQ door that never has issues as the my Q is built into the opener.

If tilt sensors are not ideal, and garage openers with MyQ built in don’t use tilt sensors, how do they determine when the garage is open or closed?

If the overhead opener itself has MyQ built in, there is no need for a tilt sensor. The opener knows when the door is retracted or closed. It controls the door position.