Sensor wierdness - garage door opened during sleep scene that closes it

Ok back with more info and hopefully will help solve this mystery

As a reminder, it’s a Linear Garage door opener.

At around. 5:55 pm open garage with wired push button to walk dog

Step outside garage and bring up ADC app to close garage door. Nothing and it times out. Try again. Nothing. Try again, get impatient for it to time out and shut app down and reload app. Try again Nothing

Go to wireless garage door keypad and hit code. Key pad doesn’t know if door is open or not. Entering code just sends a command to do the opposite of what the door is positioned (open or closed) Door shuts completely. Start walking.

At 5;59 garage opens by itself I see it open before I am out of view

Reboot phone. Relaunch ADC app and close door and it shuts and stays shuts.

This is the first time I could not close the door with my new iq4 panel. It’s been working great. I believe this is a ADC issue and it sends and open command when it gets confused. This has happened on two systems now

What do you think? Hopefully you can check the logs and help me figure this out

In this case you do in fact have a distinct “Open” mobile command in your history at 5:58:32

So, to be 100% certain, did you ever tap “Open” in the app at any point in that sequence?

Also, this part is important:

Try again, get impatient for it to time out and shut app down and reload app. Try again Nothing

How did you shut down the app? Did you log out and log back in? Or did you hard stop it using your phone OS, like “Force Stop” in Android?

Hi Jason,

I think we may be getting somewhere.

When I issued a closed command and it didn’t close, the icon showed “closed”. I tapped on it “because Im still trying to close it” and then the icon would change to “open”. Then I would hit again to attempt to close it. And it wouldn’t

When I shut the app down, I just swiped up to close the app. After I rebooted my iphone on a seperate instance, it shut the door.

Please tell me the correct way to realistically handle this? Lets say I have an uber waiting for me. I cant realistically sit on my phone at my driveway waiting for things to “time out” .

Also wondering why this happens. Up until last night, the IQ4 was so fast in closing the door. There was no lag.

and then the icon would change to “open”. Then I would hit again to attempt to close it. And it wouldn’t

If you tap “open” and send that command, it is not going to close the door.

Z-wave commands are not toggle commands.

It is not like flipping a switch. Sending a command to close the door will close the door. If it fails it will do nothing, if the door is already closed it will do nothing.

Sending a command to open the door will open it. If it fails it will do nothing, if the door is already open it will do nothing.

The problem here is that you are sending multiple commands in sequence, and in this case you closed the door manually, and when the open command successfully hit, the door opened.

So the cause here lines up pretty neatly. See from the manual below:

That’s a description of the safety override for GD00Z devices. The app cannot simply continue sending commands over and over, and a minimum of 30 seconds are required to verify what happened when a command is sent. The device will not respond to commands until 30 seconds after a failed movement.

A second failure locks it down.

When you pressed the local keypad/button to close the door, you resolved the lockdown, per that second bullet point from the manual. That allowed the subsequent “Open” command to go through successfully.

It all lines up very neatly, and the issue in this case is not lag in commands, but that the device itself is likely having trouble with closing the door sometimes for whatever reason.

This could be an issue with knowing the door status, it could be loose connection to the overhead, a malfunction of the GD00Z, etc.

This is making more and more sense…BUt I don’t like it (ha ha)

So in my case, the door was open and I am trying to close it. Hit the close command and it fails. But tow the icon on the ADC app states close. I wait for 30 seconds and the icon is incorrectly saying its closed.

What do I do here?

I have to have it show open so I can attempt another close command.

Why does it show the incorrect status when the tilt sensors dont move? What is the protocol for dealing with this situation?

I would try refreshing the app first. However if a command goes through, is acknowledged by the panel, then the door doesn’t move, the door will likely need shut manually.

IIRC the app will flash the close icon, greyed out, while waiting for a response from the system. The next time you see this, does refreshing the app revert the status?

refreshing did not help.

Perhaps an improvement from ADC would help here:

Don’t let users enter another command for the 30 second wait period.

If status is unknown, have the icon greyed out instead of simply appearing as the opposite of what it was

Or even a button that :cancels" all commands.

Im sure ADC can see how this is a security liability and hope they would want to correct this if they could. Its not hard to see how people can do this and then their garages are open all night and they didn’t know. Building in some safeguards would show how ADC is best in class.

The new protocol for me will be this, but its not ideal and kind of “sucky” in my opinion

try to open or close garage door with app.

If it fails ONE time, walk to manual button or keypad (which is on the side of my house) to execute command without the app

I had one of the GD00Z units tested here and I can confirm the odd behavior of being able to send that open command when the status isn’t confirmed yet.

I’ll send this to ADC and report it as an issue.

I don’t know if this helps but my Tilt sensor on my double garage was replaced back in 2019 with new unit tilt sensor because the old sensor did not consistently send a confirmation via ADC that the double door was closed. I tried to tape spacer on top of battery to make good contact with the unit but it did not work.
You cannot order a tilt sensor unless you buy the whole GD00z kit with the transceiver and the tilt senor. I ordered a new kit from Home Depot but only used the tilt sensor after pairing with the old GD00z unit.

This was when I was using the 2GIG GC3 panel…I am now using the IQ4 panel
It cleared up my issue back in 2019,

Thank you Jason,

ADC is usually pretty slow on this as they try to solve.

Just to reiterate, until they solve suggest they come out with a workaround. For example not allowing users to enter and open or close command for 40 seconds after the last command (since it times out at 30 seconds). Or that commands after the last command sent are cancelled and it always goes to the very last command.

I have no idea if this is possible, but the takeaway is to explore workarounds in addition to complete solutions

Tonight opened the garage door by manual push button that is hardwired.

Tried to close via app. Doesn’t close. App incorrectly reads closed. Hit the icon and it times out and does change to show open.

Manually close with keypad for garage on house exterior. Don’t want to hit the icon multiple times.

10 minutes later I get notified that it’s open when I am away from house. Try closing via app and no confirmation that it closes. Icon shows open. Check security cameras and it actually did close but icon shows open.

Come home and at 10:21 pm hit icon on app that shows it’s open (so I guess it would. Be sending a close command and doing the opposite of what the opening breakdown did). Instead the garage door opens even though the icon stated it was closed.

Closed with the hard wired button and icon incorrectly read that it’s open. 20 minutes later the alarm announces it closed and the icon shows correct with me touching anything.

The takeaway here is I did not keep pushing the buttons as I have before. I would wait for it to time out or just use the keypad of my garage door. These seems to be no rhyme or reason to any of this. Also I don’t know why I am not getting immediate action after hitting the icons on the apps when I was for a long time after switching to the IQ4

**I made a point not to hit the garage door icon on the app multiple times. But if it reads closed when it’s open and you hit the icon one time (you have to hit the icon at least once) it appears it sends an open command that appears to time out, but in reality it’s sent later. When you are away from home in this case. It would appear that if you hit the icon and waited 10-15 minutes it would have been ok, but this isn’t realistic **

Seems like the issue is long delays in commands being executed. I still suspect this to be an ADC issue even they undoubtedly will keep telling you it’s not.

Not sure if surety team saw the latest post on this?

Tried to close via app. Doesn’t close. App incorrectly reads closed. Hit the icon and it times out and does change to show open.

Was this the Right Garage Door again, or a different door?

Also I don’t know why I am not getting immediate action after hitting the icons on the apps when I was for a long time after switching to the IQ4[…]Seems like the issue is long delays in commands being executed

There can be a number of reasons for delayed commands, or comands that time out, including:

• Phyical issues with the device, either the

• Tilt sensor or the
    • GD00Z itself
  • Z-Wave network issues

• Distance from GDOOZ to nearest repeating node
    • Signal interference
    • No Rediscovery
  • Connection issues from the device sending commands through the app

It appears that most/all of the issues in this thread are related to the Right Garage Door, is that correct, or are you seeing this issue occur with both Linear controllers?

I do see on this specific device, Right Garage, that it has never taken part in a Z-Wave Network Rediscovery and that the last rediscovery was run on 2/9/2022.

This may be part of the problem as the network rediscovery maps out the best communication routes for commands. A Z-Wave network rediscovery should be run any time a Z-Wave device is:

• added to the network
  • removed from the network
  • or if its physical location has been moved.

You can run this command from the panel, it is found under Settings > Advanced Settings > System Tests > Z-Wave Tests > Rediscover Network. The more devices you have on the network, the longer this will take.

I intentionally did not do a rediscover to try and diagnose this.

The garage door that I keep posting about is the Right Garage door because we don’t really use the middle and left doors. We use the right one constantly.

I tested all the doors and they all respond very quickly without a rediscovery right now.

Seems like the issue is long delays in commands being executed. I still suspect this to be an ADC issue even they undoubtedly will keep telling you it’s not.

We can see the time-stamps when the command is triggered and when the panel acknowledges commands sent for Z-wave devices. The acknowledgement happens when the command hits the panel module.

The problem is not this.

As a test, I would recommend swapping the Tilt sensor from the Middle to the Right door and vice versa.

To pair the tilt sensor, press and hold the side button of the GD00Z for 7 seconds until you hear a beep.

After the beep, change the tilt sensor orientation for the sensor you wish to connect.

You’ll hear a beep from the GD00Z letting you know it is paired.

Does the problem continue?

I decided to just replace the whole garage door opener with a my Q chamberlain unit

Too many failures for me and many posts on this forum by others about garage door opening without people opening them. . To many things that can go wrong

I’ve tried my Q adapters, linear and MYQ garage door openers are not expensive. Also they have made it so DIY install is easy now. I was surprised that I could install a opener myself!

My stand alone MYq chamberlain has never had issues. So now I have 2 and one door still hooked up to a Linear. May change it out soon as well

My advice to everyone is to just replace your older garage door openers hat have tilt sensors and z wave adapters with complete MYQ units to have greater piece of mind.