Replacing Old Ademco

I recently purchased a home that has an old Ademco hardwired alarm system. I want to rip out this system and install a Qolsys system and have many questions.

1. I see there are different Qolsys panels with different frequencies. What does that mean?
  2. I also see these panels are offered with either Verizon or AT&T cellular. How can I determine the best signal in my area?
  3. I see that there is a hardwire module, which being in the IT industry, us techs prefer hardwired vs. wireless but I was told the Qolsys wireless devices are amazing. The alarm sensors on the doors, windows and motion are so old they are yellow, so I think it might be best to remove all those sensors and replace with wireless sensors. What are your thoughts?
  4. I currently have Samsung Smartthings with GE Zwave light switches, August lock, Nest thermostat all controlled via Amazon Alexa. Can the Qolsys integrate with this system or do I need to eliminate Smartthings and have Qolsys be the heart of the system?

I see there are different Qolsys panels with different frequencies. What does that mean?

Each Qolsys IQ Panel 2+ supports PowerG sensors and one RF frequency for legacy wireless sensors, either 319.5, 345, or 433.

The default model in our bundles (and the least expensive) uses 319.5 as that is what Qolsys S-Line sensors use, however if you have existing wireless 345 Honeywell or 433 DSC sensors you could reuse them with the appropriate model IQ Panel.

I also see these panels are offered with either Verizon or AT&T cellular. How can I determine the best signal in my area?

Send us a private message with the service address you would need to cover and we can provide a recommendation.

I see that there is a hardwire module, which being in the IT industry, us techs prefer hardwired vs. wireless but I was told the Qolsys wireless devices are amazing. The alarm sensors on the doors, windows and motion are so old they are yellow, so I think it might be best to remove all those sensors and replace with wireless sensors. What are your thoughts?

Either way you’ll be using wireless Zones. The hardwire modules take wired circuits and turn their activity into a wireless sensor signal to the panel. However there are other benefits.

Reusing wired sensors with a wired to wireless translator like the Hardwire 16F is typically the most cost effective option, by far if you have a lot of sensors and they are in good working order.

Troubleshooting an old system in disarray can be a daunting task though, it just depends on how well the system was maintained previously.

I currently have Samsung Smartthings with GE Zwave light switches, August lock, Nest thermostat all controlled via Amazon Alexa. Can the Qolsys integrate with this system or do I need to eliminate Smartthings and have Qolsys be the heart of the system?

The Qolsys panel must be primary as of 6.81 Z-wave, however you can control Z-wave devices through both in parallel by pairing the controllers.

Thanks for the great information. The existing Ademco system is very old and doesn’t even power up. We are replacing the windows and doors to impact and really don’t want to use the existing ugly/yellow sensors so I think I’m going to rip out that system and go 100% wireless. So in my case I guess the 319.5 version is the way to go, right? How can I send you a private message with the service address? Lastly, I am in the IT industry and one on my distributors resells Qolsys equipment. Can I buy the equipment on my end and register/monitor with you guys?

So in my case I guess the 319.5 version is the way to go, right?

If you are coming at it fresh with all new sensors, the 319.5 version is the least expensive and has the widest array of encrypted sensors. That’s what I would choose.

How can I send you a private message with the service address?

Click the “Private Message Surety” button at the top of this page, or here.

Can I buy the equipment on my end and register/monitor with you guys?

You can use compatible equipment from any source.

Ok, I send a private message with my home address. I have a few more questions. My windows are Bronze and see that Qolsys offers brown sensors but I dont see them in your store. Can the brown sensors be ordered? Also, in the related items, it shows a power supply. Does the power supply have to be ordered separately or is that only if I want a replacement power supply?

A power supply comes with the Qolsys panel. The individual ones offered in our store are replacement only.

Typically we only stock and ship the default off-white models as shown. I’ll check on the availability of the brown sensor models and get back to you.

My windows are Bronze and see that Qolsys offers brown sensors but I dont see them in your store. Can the brown sensors be ordered?

While we do not stock them on the website, we can order the QS1136-840 S-Line mini Door.Window sensors, the 1136 and the 1135 are the same sensor but the 1136 come in Brown.

To order them through Surety, buy the IQ Mini Door/Window sensors here. During the purchase process in the order notes field, request that you want the QS1136-840 in brown.