Radio Modem Failure alarm

I keep getting a Radio Modem failure alarm. Can you provide me with a few things I could check?

How long have you been seeing that message? Has it been happening on and off or just yesterday? (An issue started yesterday around the time of this post that was resolved a little while later regarding signalling which was not account specific)

I do see signal strength sitting on the low end lately. Is your panel mounted to a wall? Are you using the in-wall antenna? Are there any house voltage lines near the antenna in-wall?

I started to also receive an error as of Sunday and have not been enable connect with the security system service since then. I have a GC3 control panel with an ATT cell module.

When I run the radio test, the following happens;

Cell Radio Test Started
Acquiring Network
Failed

Note: It sat on the Acquiring Network message for a while before finally displaying the Failed message.

Help.

Ken

It looks like signaling history on this account has been very low for a longer period of time, most of the reports showing 1 bar.

Can you power down your panel completely, AC, then battery, for a full two to three minutes? Then power back up, wait five minutes, and run another cell test?

Doing it right now. Network bars have been low since the install but has always seemed to work fine. My house is just not located where there is a lots of bars anywhere in the entire house.

I have been patiently waiting for the firmware update from 2GIG with WiFi support to provide a more consistent quality network connection. Any news on when they plan to release a firmware update and will it contain WiFi support?

2GIG is extremely tight lipped about firmware updates until they are ready to implement, from what I understand their tech support team won’t even know when firmware is available until it’s made available to download. I’m pretty eager to see some software improvements on the GC3.

Signal strength is only a portion of the connection quality, and your registration times have been very short, which is good, but you may be having trouble reconnecting due to weaker signal.

Keeping the panel powered down for a few minutes and then powering back up should force the module to re-register. Let us know if that resolves the issue.

Just completed the process and the following happened;

Cell Radio test started
Waiting for CS Response
Acquiring Network
Failed

Help

Are you able to move your panel toward an external wall and try again?

If you can, try moving it to one corner of the house and see if signaling is strong enough at that spot.

It’s hard to ignore the low signal strength at this point with regard to what we are seeing, hard to say it is not having an effect. You could try powering down completely, then remove and re-seat the cell sled.

Are you using the built-in antenna in the cell sled? An external antenna can be affixed to the sled if necessary in cases where signaling is a problem.

I have been all over my house and have never achieved more than 1 to 2 bars. Current location is best spot in the house. I also have installed the external Antenna.

I even have to use an ATT Micro Cell for my cell phone because cell coverage is not great here. Unfortunately, the ATT Micro cells does not support the security connection protocol for the GC3.

Doesn’t the “Waiting for CS response” mean that the radio was connecting to the Cell tower and waiting for a Cell tower response?

Once received/connected to the cell tower, it looks like it then moved on to the next step which was “Acquiring Network”?

It sat on the “Acquiring Network” line for a long time before it gave up and then displayed the “Failed” message.

As such, it kind of looks to me like it contacted the Cell tower AOK but was unable to then connect to the Security Service Network?

Confused. I have been working AOK for months and it just stopped working as of last Sunday.

Confused

Maybe I should try and go back to using the internal Antenna?

Doesn’t the “Waiting for CS response” mean that the radio was connecting to the Cell tower and waiting for a Cell tower response?

Once received/connected to the cell tower, it looks like it then moved on to the next step which was “Acquiring Network”?

It sat on the “Acquiring Network” line for a long time before it gave up and then displayed the “Failed” message.

As such, it kind of looks to me like it contacted the Cell tower AOK but was unable to then connect to the Security Service Network?

Confused. I have been working AOK for months and it just stopped working as of last Sunday.

Confused

Unfortunately, no, the responses given during the cell test are general and do not indicate what you state. Waiting for CS response is an indication that the panel has sent an outbound “ping” awaiting acknowledgement. No such tests are showing in your ADC account, so nothing is reaching ADC. The cellular carrier network is not transmitting the commands, and if this is the case for an extended period, days at a time, it almost invariably indicates a local system problem.

A couple of clarifications:

From what I can tell without digging into it too much, the Microcell you mention does indeed communicate with 3G AT&T devices, which I believe all utilize high speed packet access. Adding a cell extender can cause very large problems unless you whitelist the cellular phone number of the security panel module.

Have you spoken to AT&T support reps about the Microcell product?

Two, if you are using an external antenna, it is a good idea to open up and double check to make sure that antenna has not come loose, particularly if you have been performing physical troubleshooting. Antenna cabling is especially fragile. It may not hurt to test with the internal antenna to check if you can connect in order to rule out or confirm antenna involvement in the problem.

I unplugged the AT&T Micro Cell to eliminate it form the equation and then reran the Radio test. Unfortunately, I received the same results.

Guess I will try the internal Antenna next.

I unplugged the AT&T Micro Cell to eliminate it form the equation and then reran the Radio test. Unfortunately, I received the same results.

To be thorough, if you unplug the microcell, I would recommend rebooting the GC3 while the microcell is powered down, or waiting a few minutes, prior to attempting a cell test.

It would be better to add your GC3 number to the whitelist as a test. If it can indeed communicate it might improve signal. Note that the number you’ll need to add is not found on the module or listed in panel settings. You would want to email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and request the number associated with your module

It seems like it is the ATT Microell… I just ran multiple tests and when the ATT Microcell is unplugged, the radio tests run fine.

When I plug back in the ATT Microcell, the radio tests fail.

I have been on the phone with ATT and they have no idea what to do… or what is causing the problem.

Both devices have been working together fine for many months and then as of Sunday the Gc3 stopped working…

AT this point, I either have cell phones or security but not both.

Not Good. Any ideas?

It would be better to add your GC3 number to the whitelist as a test. If it can indeed communicate it might improve signal. Note that the number you’ll need to add is not found on the module or listed in panel settings. You would want to email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and request the number associated with your module

I would strongly suggest trying to add your security panel’s number as a valid number to your extender’s whitelist. The panel’s module will otherwise attempt repeatedly to connect, being denied each time.

Please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com to request the proper number to add.

ATT is telling me to contact 2gig… Not good. 2gig will not talk to me.

Could you possibly contact 2gig to see if they have other people with the same problem and to find out if they have any recommendations?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

The very next troubleshooting step is adding your panel phone number to the whitelist.

I would strongly suggest trying to add your security panel’s number as a valid number to your extender’s whitelist. The panel’s module will otherwise attempt repeatedly to connect, being denied each time.
Please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com to request the proper number to add.

2GIG cannot assist. AT&T would not be able to assist.

If your panel is attempting to connect to a cell network extender and being denied, then you will need to add the number to the whitelist.

For security reasons we cannot place your number on a public forum. Please email customerservice@suretyDIY.com and request the phone number associated with your module.

AT&T said there is no exclusion/whitelist for this product?

I can add it to the list of numbers they support?

I logged into my management interface and do not see a place to add exclusion numbers either so maybe they are correct?

From the Microcell manual:

Will all cell phones work with my MicroCell?
All 3G, 4G and 4G LTE cell phones that
receive wireless service from AT&T will
work with the MicroCell if they are added
online to the MicroCell’s approved user list.”

There should be an online management list of valid devices which can connect to your unit called the “Approved User List”.

What is an approved user list?
The approved user list contains the phone
numbers of friends, family and associates
that you allow to use your MicroCell while
they are at your home or office. You can only
add people to this list who have an AT&T
wireless service plan”

To verify we have the exact manual for your device, what is the model number on the MicroCell?

If you are having trouble this link from ATT contains instructions on how to add approved users.