Qolsys Remote Panel QW9102-840 doesn't mirror panel audio

I had expected the QW9102-840 to function more similarly to my 2Gig TS1, which mirrors the audio of the main panel for voice response, chimes, etc. This is a large part of the reason to even have the 2nd panel, but there is zero control over what sounds output the QW9102-840…it seems the only audio it participates in is count down tones for arm/exit and disarm countdown on entry, and I assume siren on alarm trigger.

Is there anyway to get the chimes/voice announcement of sensors to follow on the remote panel? Perhaps this is on the roadmap?

I had 2 TS1s on my 2Gig setup, but with the limited ability and higher cost of the QW9102-840 I am having a hard time justifying it…and could get by with a “follower” beep/alarm and a keypad in my garage to avoid accidental alarms from the garage door. Since this is a pretty expensive panel to lack this key piece, is there any other “remote” siren option that would follow the panel for the disarm “beeps”? Are there any additional keypads that Qolsys supports (e.g. QS-1311-P01)?

The secondary panel does have voice announcement and chime when tripping a sensor. Is this not working for all sensors or just some sensors? Are these custom sensor names (I.E. not basic pre-selectable ones like Front Door)

The QS-1311-P01 is essentially a keyfob with its own programmable code. It does not share codes with the main panel, there is no 2 way communication it just sends a signal to the panel.

What firmware version is the secondary on?
Have you tried removing and re-adding the secondary? Any change?

Yes, all of the sensors I am referring to are set with voice announcement and I can hear the voice announcement on the main panel…but the secondary panel never makes a peep.

Since you claimed it was supposed to mirror the main panel I removed the remote panel and re-paired it, it is now working. Perhaps it was something to do with a version mismatch at time of pairing (panel had updated, remote panel updated during enrollment).

I realize the QS-1311-P01 doesn’t have any local “output”, until just reading the panel I didn’t realize that it didn’t actually transmit the access code to the panel but instead had its own single local access code…which doesn’t match my use case.

On the siren front, perhaps I was thinking of the RE116 which uses local hardwired terminals. Would this mirror the panel beep cadence?

Im looking into the RE116 now, ill post with more information as soon as it is available.

Additionally, you can use the Anker 3102 Speaker that may be an option for you. More information can be found here.

The RE116U can only be used for siren sounds, not panel beep/chime.

Ok, so after removing and re-pairing the secondary panel had started to mirror the audio of the first but now has stopped again. Nothing has changed on the system other than adding a Z-wave device, but now the remote secondary panel makes no sounds for chimes/voice announcement. The main panel continues to function as expected.

Both panels are firmware 2.3.0, this seems like a software bug.

The Anker 3102 wouldn’t work well if I am trying to echo the panel into the garage, as the garage is the last place I would be during a 2-way voice with dispatch…and based on that thread and others it seems that the Anker 3102 takes over 2-way voice away from the panel, I also doubt the range of BT would allow it to meet my hopes. Seems my only option is to either buy another secondary panel or to go without, I won’t be buying a secondary panel when the one I have doesn’t even work as advertised due to software bugs.

Depending on distance from main panel, the BT option may not be viable.

To confirm, what is the sensor model that you are using? Is this a 319.5, or a 345 being translated, or both?

Attempting to replicate the issue on my end, how long did it work correctly after the panel repairing?

What about the volume rocker on the secondary panel? can you try adjusting it? any change?

What about the volume rocker on the secondary panel? can you try adjusting it? any change?

It applies to both translated 2Gig sensors and to a S-Line sensor, none of them get voice announcement on the secondary panel when it stops working. Likewise if I send a remote Arm command, the announcement also does not get played out of the secondary panel.

I have no idea how long it worked for, it was working yesterday…but not today.

The volume is set to ~75%.

Rebooting the secondary panel restores functionality.

Using the same set up (2.3.0, 345MHz Translated sensor, S-line, Legacy 319.5MHz and PowerG) I am unable to replicate this issue (without turning the volume down on the secondary panel.) I have reached out to Qolsys to determine if this is a known issue, will report back when new information is made available.

To confirm, are you using the paired transformer and wiring included with the panel? Has it been spliced at all?

To confirm, are you using the paired transformer and wiring included with the panel? Has it been spliced at all?

100% powered using the provided cable and power adapter exactly as it came out of the box. I have not yet mounted it on a wall yet since I’ve been validating that it actually works first. Mounting on the wall will obviously require some modification to the plug since the provided cord isn’t very long and does to allow using bare wire on a terminal like the alarm panel.

Thank you for following up.

I could not recommend physically altering the included power supply in any way.

The audio seems to have stopped working again after ~8 hours.

I could not recommend physically altering the included power supply in any way.

I understand the stance you likely have to take as a reseller, however perhaps you can convey/ask Qolsys how they expect someone to snake this power cord through a wall for a concealed install…as not many home owners are going to want a power cord dangling about for their kids to get entangled.

This problem went from annoying to dysfunctional, the alarm is currently disarmed…however the secondary panel shows it as being armed still. The alarm controls are non-responsive on the remote panel. After going into Settings and back to the home screen it reflects the current state, but voice prompts are still missing.

I performed a master reset of the secondary panel and re-paired it again, if the problem repeats you will be hearing from me asking for a replacement device.

This problem went from annoying to dysfunctional, the alarm is currently disarmed…however the secondary panel shows it as being armed still. The alarm controls are non-responsive on the remote panel. After going into Settings and back to the home screen it reflects the current state, but voice prompts are still missing.

I performed a master reset of the secondary panel and re-paired it again, if the problem repeats you will be hearing from me asking for a replacement device.

Well this sounds like one of two problems:

Malfunctioning IQ Remote, which is possible, or it may point to a poor Wifi connection at the secondary touchscreen.

How far away from the router is the secondary panel right now? Are you able to bring it closer to test and see if it is more stable?

If it is already close while being tested, that IQ Remote may very well just be malfunctioning.

You can find warranty policy information here.

How far away from the router is the secondary panel right now? Are you able to bring it closer to test and see if it is more stable?

My house has 3 access points providing Wi-Fi services (non-overlapping channels) in order to get solid 5GHz coverage. These 3 access points are connected via hardwired gigabit cabling, not using Wi-Fi extension/bridging/“mesh”…so all access points have full data rates of whatever WiFi connection allows. My phone sitting next to the secondary panel easily gets 50-100megabits download from the Internet, likewise next to the main panel…and verified that in both cases it is using the same access point for each test.

I will investigate the possibility of the WiFi connection dropping out, however I don’t see any indication of that from my network devices. It would be a lot easier to troubleshoot if these Android OS tablets would allow ICMP ping from the local subnets. I also find it absurd that the remote panel lacks any Wi-Fi tests once it is paired.

So far it has been reliable since the master reset of the secondary panel and re-pairing it to the system. This is the longest it has gone by far without failing.