PG9905 Temp Sensor vs. ADC-S2000 & Garage Freezer Temp Monitoring Application

Thank you, Tyler, great points. I’ll play around to see if I can manage to run the probe past the seal without compromising the seal integrity. If I can strip off the leads’ insulation jacket around where the freezer seal will close, this may work even better.

Another issue: I have not been able to get temperature events to generate any kind of ADC notification. I get these events reported to the panel, but not via ADC. The sensor is in Group 51, and my IQ Panel 2 Plus has firmware version 2.4.2 installed. Per the firmware 2.4.0 release notes: “…High/Low threshold reporting for Group 51 now supported by Alarm.com”.

I have tried setting up the notifications two different ways, and neither of these works despite repeated attempts:

• New Notification | Temperature | Temperature Alert | When the device detects a temperature: Above [TEMPERATURE] | For the selected devices: [Freezer Temperature]
  • New Notification | Standard | Alarm | When Alarm Type Audible [CHECKED], Silent [CHECKED] | Is reported by Specific Sensor: [Freezer Temperature]

I’m thinking that the former approach is the correct one, as the second one is premised on an alarm condition, and since Group 51 is “non-reporting”, I gather that this does not qualify as an “alarm”. Right?

coo30, it seems you were able to get this to work, per your post here. Does it read to you like I’m doing anything differently…?

Out of curiosity, did you already have 2.4.2 installed or did you add the PG9905 and then upgrade the firmware?

If it was the latter, could you try removing and reprogramming the PG9905?

I’m not seeing any events in Alarm.com for that sensor, other than a tamper alert. This suggests that the panel is simply not sending the data to ADC.

What is the date and time on the activations in panel history? Could you post a photo of one of those?

The panel was definitely at 2.4.2 prior to adding the sensor. I added the sensor on Wednesday, January 29, and have been intermittently testing with it every day between this day and as recently as Saturday, February 1 (maybe even Sunday, February 2).

I’ll be in a better position to repeat these tests and take requested pics either later tonight or tomorrow.

Ok, I retested last night with no different results, so as to supply screenshots depicting configuration and timestamps (this is Eastern). If it helps, the corresponding notification rule I am testing with and expecting to trigger is named “_Freezer Temperature Alert (40-45 dF)”.

Thank you for the photos. I can confirm that there is no related event in Alarm.com history, so it is not an issue with notification, rather with reporting.

I am sending this info to Qolsys to see if we can get it replicated and resolved. It is likely a reporting difference between what the panel is sending and what ADC expects.

It appears to me that you have everything set up properly. I can confirm when I installed the sensor/probe, that I was receiving notifications via the app and an email from a notification I set up. The main reason I am not still using it is because there was no way of checking the current temperature. Only high or low notifications.

I am actually being told by Qolsys now that the support for group 51 reporting was anticipated and added to the technical service bulletin for the firmware version, but didn’t actually make it into the software patch, so says their response. It is supposed to be headed to version 2.5 when that drops.

According to reply from Qolsys, 51 support is not fully implemented at this time. It sounds like it may have been reported working at one point though, so either it was never fully available or it was accidentally removed after 2.4.

coo30, were you able to actually generate a notification through testing, or just create one in ADC?

I updated to 2.5.0, but still have the same problem with getting Group 51 ADC notifications to work. Notifications to the panel work perfectly fine (as before), but no ADC notifications make it out.

I saw that various changes were made to this in 2.5.0. One of these was to add support for Sensor Group 25 (also Non-reporting), which supposedly can be used for ADC notifications, per the release notes. However, I understand that this is for a freeze sensor application, and so would only have a low temperature threshold. I’m trying to use the PG9905 to monitor for freezer failures, and so am looking to use only a high temperature threshold. For this same reason, I don’t think using Sensor Group 53 (Reporting) would be a good fit for this application.

Hmm, I am seeing the same response from the panel, where only the freeze zone type allows Senor Group 25, not Temperature for high alerts.

I’ll check with Qolsys on this and report back here. In their release notes they say Group 25 was added for Temperature and Freeze types.

Jason, have heard back from Qolsys on this?

Yes, actually, sorry it also required some verification with Alarm.com. Unfortunately it looks like this is still in development. The Group 25 option is not available for the PG9905, because it cannot be set as a High Temperature only device type.

It can only report both high and low thresholds using the Temperature device type (which is distinct from High Temperature, it is a bit convoluted with regard to naming, evidenced by the Qolsys technical service bulletin mislabeling what was supported). The Temperature device type uses sensor group 51, not 25.

Alarm.com needs to implement sensor group 51 reports compatibility. The PG9905 is intended to use 51.

I am told this functionality is actually in beta stages now at Alarm.com, so it shouldn’t be too long until it is available!