New system recommendations

Hi all,

Our home seems to have been wired for an ADT / ademco system circa 2002. We recently had doors replaced and I dont want to reinstall the indoor mounted sensors on the new doors plus we would like something with mobile app support / modern. I found surety via alarm.com and had several questions.

1. Our home is 4 floors. Do the wireless sensors communicate with the nearest panel? We plan to have 2 IQ Panels on the 1st floor and 3rd floor (master bedroom). I am hoping the sensors can connect to the nearest panel

2. I saw there was a hardwire panel that can serve as an interface with our other hardwired sensors which we would ideally like to use. This includes an alarm, motion sensors, hardwired door sensors. Is there any way I can verify my old panel should be compatible with the new hardwired panel? The old ADT box had each zone labeled clearly so I can figure out which wires go to them. I don’t know much else though.

3. How does the bluetooth geofencing work? Does it only have to detect my phone or does it actually connect to it? If I was using headphones or something I wouldnt want it to disconnect so it can proximity unarm.

Neal

A power G panel is probably your best bet for a four story. It has the best range and frequency for thick/many walls.
Geofencing is based on location and GPS signal.
There is also Bluetooth disarming with is based on close proximity to disarm.
I don’t use BT because of security, if someone steals your car with your phone and looks at the registration could go to your house and your panel would disarm and let them in.
I know that sounds extreme but is only one scenario.
HTH

To make sure I understand your recommendation, you are suggesting I go with the Qolsys IQ Panel 4 and PowerG sensors for the increased range?

Great advice about the BT / geofencing, I will keep that in mind.

1 Like

Yes, not only increased range but better and more modern security as well. They employ frequency hopping for secure communication to panel.

We recommend and sell the IQ Panel 4 in all cases, but in general in your case, PowerG would be best due to the additional range.

Sensors do not communicate with multiple keypads. The main panel houses the wireless receiver. It should be centrally located in a place that gets good cell signaling.

PowerG sensors have about 4 times the range of other RF sensor types available for the system.

If you have hardwire sensors, you can reuse them with a hardwire to wireless translator.

You would only be using the wired sensor circuits, which would connect to the takeover module. The above thread has options for the IQ Panel 4.

Bluetooth and Geofencing are two different things.

There is bluetooth disarming, in which the panel uses bluetooth connection of your phone to automatically disarm from Away. It shouldn’t have any impact on other BT devices.

Geofencing is a location service which uses the phone location for reminders/notifications.

2 Likes

Awesome. That’s a great help.

Last question, with the IQ Panel 4 do the panels chime when the doors open even when disarmed? Our current system chimes even when disarmed and we have grown to really like that.

they can be set to announce sensors.

1 Like

System ordered. Thanks everyone!

They are nice, I have been a user since gen 1.
Surety is a Great Company as well !!! Excellent support staff !
Enjoy