New IQ Panel 4 issues

Thanks for the help in finding the AP settings. I hadn’t thought to look there.

I will check the screws – do I have to disable tamper before I remove the panel? Would the bowing also cause the LED light to shine on the wall?

Do you know if the revamped backplate will fit this first version of the IQ4? If so, would we be able to get one under warranty?

It won’t affect the LED much not that I am aware of.

You do not need to disable the tamper, tamper is a natural status when opening the panel. Make sure the system is disarmed.

No, this would not be a warranty situation. Panels will simply start shipping with a reworked back plate at some point based on dealer feedback. I’m not sure if the new back plate will be able to be purchased separately at this time.

Thank you, Jason.

Hi Jason;

We recently installed the IQ4 and are having the same “popping noise” issue. I’ve disabled the haptic feedback, turned the volume down, tried resetting, etc… . It comes on a couple of seconds after the speakers are activated; and sometimes while the panel is making an announcement.

Did you receive any feedback on this from Qolsys? Any solutions?

1 Like

I have heard no new information from Qolsys, nor have I been able to replicate. Are you able to send us an mp4 or something similar with this behavior? If so, send it to support@suretyhome.com.

Are you using the included power supply and cable, or an existing wire run?

I am having the same popping sound using the included power supply and cable.

We have not been able to replicate and it is an unknown issue as far as Qolsys is concerned. Can you send us an MP4 of the sound you are hearing? We can pass it along to Qolsys for review.

I would say to try running the siren test to see if the issue clears, but since I am unable to replicate, this is just a guess. There was a similar but unrelated issue on the IQ Panel 2 that cleared in this manner.

To run a Siren test, navigate to Settings > Advanced Settings > System Tests > Scroll to the bottom and run a Siren test. This will be loud and obnoxious so plan accordingly, should last about 10 seconds.

@loctran23 @RS1 @DIYGUY @tyler I have two IQ Panel 4 devices here and the popping sound is on both devices. Would be nice to receive an official response from Johnson Controls and Qolsys as far as a resolution.

Pass on the Siren test did not resolve the issue. Running the latest firmware 4.1.1 also.

I am happy to pass along any recordings of this issue, just shoot us an email at support@suretyhome.com

Include information specific to the panel in the email such as:

• Firmware Version
  • Hardware Version
  • Include when the issue occurs
    • intermittently, upon button press, on its own, etc.

I have the exact same bent plate issue with my IQ Panel 4. Also it was so fragile that one of the alignment clips was broken out of the box, but I installed it anyways as I needed a functional install immediately.

Is there a replacement backpanel part we can order for this? I would love the new one but I’ll take a current model as well in the interim if it’s possible?

Also is there a fix for the popping audio? Mine still does this as well no matter volume or other settings. It also randomly pops on its own at times. Power supply is on an isolated circuit with surge and RF/EMI filtering (installed to try and isolate the cause but naked power on a shared circuit did the same).

Is there a replacement backpanel part we can order for this? I would love the new one but I’ll take a current model as well in the interim if it’s possible?

Qolsys does not have a part listed for the IQ Panel 4 back plate. Not sure if that is something that they plan to release separately or not. There is a back stand for table mounting that is sold separately however.

Also is there a fix for the popping audio?

When specifically does this occur, at any time, during specific actions, etc?

Can you submit a short video with the issue so we can send it to Qolsys?

There are a few things to try here:

• Test the siren

• Settings > Advance Settings > System Tests > Panel Tests > Siren
    • This will run the siren, which may help resolve any popping.
  • Check Firmware and update if needed.

• 4.1.1 is the most recent, patch notes and update steps found here
  • Full Power Cycle:

• Settings > Advanced Settings > Power Down
    • Unplug power supply from outlet
    • Open panel and disconnect the internal battery
    • Leave off for 10 minutes or so, then reboot battery first, then power supply

Popping occurs after every audio event. Power cycling doesn’t help either.

At this point I’m convinced the hardware is defective. Hence why they can’t reproduce it. It’s likely some capacitors out of spec and it’s just some field units that are b0rk3d out of the box. They just need to replace my panel so I can get a clean mount without broken tabs, hopefully no more popping and hopefully a resolved LED so it’s not glaring on the wall. They’re welcome to tear it down and isolate the issue in a lab setting at that point.

I’ve tried powering it locally, powering off a dedicated 20A circuit (it’s own isolated DFCI breaker and 12 awg romex) with a commercial grade RF/EMI surge outlet installed, ground isolated, with a shielded 18/2 security cable with the drain wire grounded. I even tried adding RF chokes to the DC power cable… Nothing affects the popping sound. Sounds like a cheap $100 android tablet issue… Like literally, I’ve had that sound happen on cheap imported android tablet car mechanic tool tablets. It’s the hardware… Also I discovered one of the IQ Remote Panel 2’s power supplies was defective out of the box, so their quality control is definitely suspect if they’re not even testing the power supplies they’re shipping.

It’s the unit plain and simple at this point :slightly_frowning_face:

Can you submit a photo of the broken tab you are referencing? The light out of the back at the top behind the camera adjustment screw is normal.

You can submit the photo via Private Message

I’ve just received and installed a new IQ4 panel, and I have exactly the same issue - a popping sound occurs 2-3 seconds after the haptic feedback sound or panel announcement. FW revision 4.2.1. Indeed, it feels like Android shuts down the panel speaker after every audio event. Disabling haptic sound fixes popping to somewhat extent, it’s still present after voice announcements.

Also had a gap issue but fixed that by using the middle screw slot, the gap is barely visible now.

I also recently installed the IQ4 and my panel has the same “popping” sound. The sound isn’t very noticeable on my panel but I can hear what everyone else is talking about. It’s not something I’m worried about but I wanted to share so the Qolsys engineers have another data point when troubleshooting.

Can you send a short video of this via PM or email?

Same popping sound on my newly installed IQ Panel 4 as well. It is like the audio driver is constantly turning on and off.

Can you send a short video of this via PM or email?

Have you rebooted the panel?

Email: Support@suretyhome.com

Private Message