New Home with Vivint system

So I just purchased a new home with a vivint system ( not activated ) I would like to get this system up and running.

I contacted them to find out prices and told them I am going to wait. They hounded me sending text msgs and calling like 5 times a day. Even after telling them to stop.

After some research I found you.

My system is the 2gig gc2 with 1.9.6 software and 3G cellular modem.

Will all I need to get this going is a plan and a new 4G modem with software upgrade cable?

System includes:
2gig panel
8 door/window sensors
1 motion sensor
Thermostat
Deadbolt door lock
2 smoke detectors

I would like to add one more door/window sensor and a motion sensor for the garage.

If you can avoid working with Vivint do it. 5 years and I cut the noose they had me in. Most of my sensors are working and support here is great without the trapping contracts Vivint gets you into.

Hello I’d recommend replacing the panel with qolsys 345 panel u can then reuse ur current sensors and add powerg sensors

U will get a lot more features with the qolsys than 2gig question r u wanting the alarm to actually activate if someone brakes in the garage or r u wanting to just know when someone is in there I’d recommend a 2gig tilt sensor or powerg outdoor sensor placed on the garage door itself and if u have any exterior doors in the garage place a regular door sensor sucks as a 2gig or Honeywell or powerg u can use a key fob to turn the alarm on or off and also turn it off by the app before u open the garage door or place the garage door on a long delay which would give u time to turn it off before it actual goes off

I am not looking to put a whole lot of money into it since I had to convince the wife to do it… Maybe in time I will upgrade the panel.

I think I will just put a sensor on the garage door and call it a day since there is one already on the door to the house (from the garage.).

I ordered the Communication module and one door/window sensor.

Can’t wait to get everything going.

U will love the service also I recommend shopping on eBay too can find the panel at a cheaper deal

Will all I need to get this going is a plan and a new 4G modem with software upgrade cable?

Jut confirming, yes, you would just need to upgrade firmware to 1.19.3.1 and install the new cell module. The rest of the components you mentioned can be used as they are now.

1 Like

So was going through my system replacing batteries. When I got to the door lock I noticed the panel was not talking to it.

Took it apart and seen there is no zwave module in it.

What Kwikset lock is this? I can’t find a model number for it at all.

Probably a Kwikset 909 if there is no Z-wave module. A 909 is just a 910 with no Z-wave module I believe.

Ok perfect!!! Thank you!!!

I am going to order the part for it to be “connected”

Got everything up and running.

Only thing is I can’t get the panel tamper cleared. Is there something I should check?

I am also trying to add a new window sensor and when I try to go into system configuration I get this.

I got the tamper panel cleared… Wasn’t pushing the button fully.

Only thing I need left to get it 100% is get this other sensor programed and get my smoke alarms working.

Error I am getting is

Malfunction (Smoke Detector) indicates that this sensor is unable to send signals to your security panel and may not trigger an alarm or signal for help in an emergency.

I have like 6 smoke detectors in this house. I just need to figure out what is what.

I wanted to ask a couple of quick questions because this is exactly where I am at and my system looks the same as yours. What communication module did you order and did you have the system code from the previous owner? When I powered the panel up the first time, I ended up setting off the alarm by opening the side door and had to unplug it and wait for the battery to die. I want to do exactly what you have done and switch the system to another service if possible. There are a lot of sensors and such here already and it seems a shame to waste them.

I pulled the panel out and took the old communications module out. After I did that the 2203 default code worked and I got into it.

Added the communication module from surety home and upgraded the software.

Everything works but being able to add more sensors.

I sent support a message asking about the installer code and waiting for reply. I will let you know what they say.

Hey there, for the smoke detector, there is only one connected to your system, and it is showing an offline malfunction. This could mean that its batteries are very low, that it is out of range of the panel, or that it is past its expiration date.

It likely looks like this (2GIG SMKT3): https://support.suretyhome.com/uploads/db7965/original/2X/a/a74ab9ec3e08b81c43b4c05896d95b39d5ebddff.jpeg

I’ve sent commands to your panel to unlock system configuration for you. Vivint locks that via Q44 in programming.

It looks like your system is not responding right now though potentially due to power loss. Are you working on the system right now?

You can remotely reset your installer code to one of your choosing via the Surety System Manager here.

1 Like

When I powered the panel up the first time, I ended up setting off the alarm by opening the side door and had to unplug it and wait for the battery to die. There are a lot of sensors and such here already and it seems a shame to waste them.

Do you not have a user code for that panel? You’ll generally need the master user code or the installer code to run a cell test to get started. Installer may be 2203.

More importantly, the panel would need to be disarmed first before doing anything else at the panel. Powering it off does not halt the alarm state. It will boot back up into alarm.

Performing a factory reset I think is actually possible with the panel in alarm state, and it will revert the code to 1111, but a couple issues there: The panel will lose all sensors as well if this is successful, and in your case if it was last used with Vivint it definitely will just not work.

Some installers, including Vivint, lock out the reset option in programming.

You could always reuse the alarm sensors with a new panel. If you have a 2GIG Go!Control panel (not a Sky Panel) then all of the sensors would be standard 2GIG ones like the DW10. These could be used with another 2GIG Panel, or with the 345Mhz version of the IQ Panel 2+ here.

It’s currently off. I am at work and it kept beeping due to battery low. I told my wife to unplug it and I have ordered a new battery for it.

Thanks for letting me know what smoke alarm I have. I will look at it when I get home.

Thanks for letting me know what smoke alarm I have

I can’t say for certain that is the model, but it is likely what they would’ve installed.

I disconnected the audio parts and powered it back on with the battery still unhooked. During bootup, I was able to get some information on the panel before the “armed stay” mode kicked in and locked me out of settings. Looks like it is the Skypanel. And it looks like the comm/network module is wired into the panel and not replaceable. I looked at his pic and realized mine was slightly different on closer examination.

I did have a factory reset option for a short minute or so before the panel finished its boot and went to the armed stay state. But I didn’t do it because it did say it would wipe all sensor information. It looks like I would be better off just getting a replacement panel if the sensors will work with the new one. Did the Sky Panel use proprietary sensors of some type?

Why not try and factory reset it first? New panel I believe requires sensors to be programmed (same as a factory reset)