Migrating from Frontpoint - SimonXT

Hi,

I have a Simon XT system from Frontpoint. I found the page on your site to transfer over existing equipment, and it appears it is a 3G model. I understand that I would need to replace that.

If I were to buy the IQ Panel from your website, would it work with all my existing sensors? I have a number of Interlogix Z-Wave door/window, garage, leak, siren, CO and smoke sensors.

When I cancel my existing service, does the alarm.com stay active, or do I need to program all the sensors in again?

Thanks!

Hi there, and welcome!

If I were to buy the IQ Panel from your website, would it work with all my existing sensors? I have a number of Interlogix Z-Wave door/window, garage, leak, siren, CO and smoke sensors.

Just to clarify, the GE sensors used with your SImon XT are not Z-wave, they would be GE 319.5 mhz. Z-wave is a separate radio added by the Alarm.com module which allows the use of automation devices like lights locks and thermostats.

All the sensors would be legacy 319.5 Mhz GE, and these would be compatible with the IQ Panel 2+ in our bundles!

Yes after cancelling and swapping the panel you would need to program the sensors into the new system. Sensor programming is very easy with the IQ Panel 2+, probably the easiest of any panel I have used.

Cancelling service and starting new service with Surety would result in a new Alarm.com account.

You are absolutely correct! I do have a couple of Z-Wave devices, but most are the GE sensors.

I’ve received your panel, but won’t be able to set it up for a few days. Do I need to detach/disassociate the existing sensors from my Simon XT before adding them to the new panel?

Thanks for your help-

Nope, for alarm sensors there is no need to delete them from the old panel. The panel is just programmed to listed to the sensor’s broadcast transmit id. The sensor itself saves no network link.

On the flip side, Z-wave devices do need to be removed (“cleared” depending on the system lingo) before they can be re-added.

You can clear them with the new panel though. On the IQ Panel 2+ go to Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Z-wave Devices. Use “Clear Device” on each Z-wave device prior to adding them in.

Excellent, and thanks for the quick reply!

@jimcampbell100 Welcome aboard. I just left Frontpoint myself. Great move.

1 Like

I believe I am all setup at this point, with two exceptions:

• the cellular test fails, and says I have 0/5 strength. That’s pretty unlikely, given it’s location in my house. What can I do to troubleshoot?

• I had a secondary keypad with the Simon XT - the “Simon XT Talking Touchpad.” I can’t get that to mate with the new panel…I assume it is specific to the Simon XT, but I thought I would ask…

Thanks!

the cellular test fails, and says I have 0/5 strength. That’s pretty unlikely, given it’s location in my house. What can I do to troubleshoot?

Yeah that is not usual, and typically the first thing I would do in that scenario would be a panel reboot. Settings > Advanced Settings > Panel Reboot.

Does that help sync the cell network and show you a signal strength value?

I had a secondary keypad with the Simon XT - the “Simon XT Talking Touchpad.” I can’t get that to mate with the new panel…I assume it is specific to the Simon XT, but I thought I would ask…

Correct, yeah the secondary touchscreen would only be compatible with the Simon panel unfortunately. For a secondary panel for the IQ Panel 2+, look at the IQ Remote:

Rebooting the panel had no effect on the cellular strength.

Not sure if it is related, so I will mention that the weather data is also not provided.

Weather data would not populate until sometime after the panel first connects to Alarm.com. It wouldn’t be indicative of anything specific.

As it happens there is actually a new operation alert in Alarm.com which states that Verizon LTE module activation has been reported to be having problems this afternoon. This is specific to connecting to Alarm.com for the first time. Alarm.com is currently working with Verizon to resolve this.

It’s very likely you are seeing this issue. We will post an update soon when this resolved by the carrier.

After the issue is resolved you may need to reboot the panel one more time.

I’m actually seeing a new successful cell test from your system. Looks like this may be resolved? Can you confirm?

No, still shows 0/5, and the test failed. I rebooted before I ran the test.

Also, the manual says that the weather data only comes via cellular, so it’s the same thing.

Well, the weather came through, but it still fails the cellular test.

No, still shows 0/5, and the test failed. I rebooted before I ran the test.

Interesting, I think I see the issue happening here.

Did you happen to connect wifi before trying the cell test? Pings to your system via cellular fail, but your broadband signaling is working.

We’ve noticed this as a bug with activating IQ Panel 2+ if Broadband is connected prior to cellular.

Can you please try disabling Wifi on your IQ Panel 2+ (Settings > Advanced Settings > Wifi)

Then try to reboot and run a cell test. Does this help resolve the cellular issue?

If so you can then turn wifi back on.

Also, the manual says that the weather data only comes via cellular, so it’s the same thing

Yes, weather forecast data is sent via Alarm.com daily via cellular signal by default, but will use dual path broadband if it is enabled, and it is not sent immediately with new activation, the first signal is automatically sent some time in the first day after connecting.

Weather data would not normally populate immediately regardless of other issues. This would be normal. I’ve gone ahead and pushed weather forecast data to the panel manually. Let me know if you don’t see it in the next five minutes or so.

It’s possible, but I don’t remember for certain.

When I reboot the panel, wifi turns itself back on automatically, and the cell test fails. I then told it to forget the network, and rebooted again. This time got an error that I didn’t have wifi connectivity. Cell test still failed, though.

Alright, I have confirmed in ADC that you are indeed seeing an issue with activation which appears related to the Operations notice. It looks strange in your history since broadband is allowing most commands to go through normally.

Your module reports in ADC show an activation status of in progress still, and the over-the-air-service provisioning commands have yet to complete.

The issue related to the operations notice is causing a delay in the Verizon network affecting these commands.

Your panel can communicate via broadband to Alarm.com normally at this time, but cellular signaling will require the issue with the Verizon carrier to be resolved.

We will update here when ADC notifies us this is fixed.

When the carrier issue is resolved I would still recommend turning off Wifi again to run the cell test. This is only in relation to the first connection commands and Wifi can be left on normally after getting cellular connected.

OK, I will enable wifi until the cellular issue is resolved. Cellular is only a backup, correct? I can use the system as normal at this point, except for that?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, your system should mostly function without cellular until the issue is resolved. 2-way voice won’t work without cellular but everything else should. With Alarm.com dual path, cellular isn’t just for backup. This post explains it well.

Cellular seems to be working this morning. Thanks!

Thanks for the follow up, yes I can confirm that the operations alert has been removed from Alarm.com and you should be good to go!