• Firmware upgrade is long coming

• Does not seem to be actively worked on

• Does not support encrypted sensors

Qolsys IQ2

• Too new to understand the quality / pitfalls

• One thing I noticed the screen touch needs force

Honeywell Lyric

• So far the winner by all the features, but I could be wrong

Can you guys help me decide on these? I understand that you stand by GC3 and Qolsys, so I have a couple of questions:

1. Why not Honeywell Lyric?
  2. Why would Qolsys be better than Lyric

Thank you.

Not sure why you are looking at Honeywell Lyric. It’s not supported by alarm.com. A big plus is that IQ2 supports GE door and window sensors. It’s great if you are coming from something like a Simon or Concord.

* Firmware upgrade is long coming

There is a lot of expectation for further automation compatibility etc.with the GC3, but the firmware timeline is standard for the manufacturer. 2GIG releases large scale heavily tested updates infrequently.

By comparison, Qolsys tends to have more frequent releases with fewer changes.

Does not seem to be actively worked on

I can assure you that is not true. It was released roughly 6 months ago, and unlike many industries (smartphones, for example) there is a slower adoption rate. A lot of the time taken to work on the product firmware/peripherals is customer and dealer feedback consideration.

The platform is solid, and I anticipate the GC3 handily outperforming the GC2 in the future, however, until further features and compatibility are enabled via firmware, there are definitely some concerns - particularly with Z-wave automation as it does not have as wide of an initial compatibility list as the GC2. This will undoubtedly grow much larger.

Does not support encrypted sensors

Correct. If this is a concern, we would recommend going with a GE Sensor panel such as the Qolsys IQ, Concord 4, or Simon. GE wireless sensor utilize encryption.

So far the winner by all the features, but I could be wrong

Honeywell Lyric uses the same unencrypted sensor transmission as the GC3, but the panel you should choose would be determined by personal preference.

What features of the Honeywell Lyric are you interested in? We can compare those with Alarm.com compatible panels.

Why not Honeywell Lyric?

We do not sell or monitor that panel. suretyDIY is an Alarm.com service dealer. The Lyric is not an Alarm.com compatible panel.

We provide monitoring and Alarm.com service and support for all Alarm.com compatible panels.

Why would Qolsys be better than Lyric

The answer to this would be dependent on the features that interest the user. The biggest difference again is that the Honeywell panel does not connect to the same back-end service. While the panels available in the industry are certainly becoming more aesthetically pleasing and functionally diverse, the service they connect to is perhaps a more important distinction.

What features are you looking for in a panel? Are you interested in home automation? Are you looking to add lighting control, thermostat integration, energy monitoring, etc.? Will you be primarily interacting with the panel locally or will you be more regularly controlling the system functions with a smartphone?

Thanks for such a detailed response. Follow up questions:

1. When do you expect GC3 releases a new firmware upgrade?
  2. Would you recommend GC3 over Qolsys and/or Lyric due to… (more industry support, features, easier to configure, etc…)?
  3. Is Qolsys IQ2 a better choice today than GC3?
  4. Where do I check a panel is supported by “Alarm.com”? (i.e. Lyric and others)

P.S.

> What features are you looking for in a panel?

cellular comm: yes
z-wave home automation: yes
lock integration: yes
lighting control: would be cool, but not currently necessary
thermostat integration: would be cool, but not currently necessary
locally or smartphone: both. would definitely need a remote way to control the system: arm / disarm / open locks. etc…

#4) From their website: https://www.alarm.com/partners/hardware.aspx

1. Any firmware ETA would be an educated guess (2GIG does not publish a release ETA, even for their own support team, not much advance notice) however, based on previous releases from the manufacturer I would guess fall or early winter would be possible.
  2. The Lyric is not Alarm.com compatible, it is not a panel we support. However, to give reference, either the 2GIG GC2 or GC3 Panel will be compatible with the very same sensors (using 345mhz frequency) as the Lyric.
    Regarding panels we support:
    The GC3 and the Qolsys IQ both share remarkable ease of programming. The Qolsys IQ panel (just to mention, the IQ2 you mention is the name of their secondary keypad, the current Alarm panel is the IQ Panel.) tends to make things quicker because when auto-learning a sensor into the panel the various programming options will default to the standards for that type of zone. You then edit where necessary. Each programming field of the GC3 needs to be filled, so it is not quite as mistake-proof, but the UI for this may edge out Qolsys for being intuitive and clean.
    Other than the time-frame and size of updates, both manufacturers have an equally impressive response to support inquiry and suggestions.
  3. There is no better choice without context. However, if you are looking for a panel to replace an existing one and you have a Z-wave automation system largely in place and want the best automation experience today, the Qolsys IQ or the 2GIG Go!Control panel may be the best choice. If you are building a new system, the GC3 will be ready for more advanced automation in the near future.
  4. Alarm.com compatible primary control panels are listed below:
    2GIG GC3 Panel
    2GIG Go!Control
    DSC Impassa
    DSC PowerSeries Neo
    DSC Touch
    Interlogix Concord
    Interlogix NX
    Interlogix Simon XT
    Interlogix Simon XTi
    Interlogix Simon XTi-5
    Qolsys IQ Panel
    SEM-Honeywell/ADEMCO Vista
If you are building a new system, the GC3 will be ready for more advanced automation in the near future

yes, this is a new system, and I agree GC3 seems to be the best in this case.

thanks for IQ vs. IQ2 correction. I thought that IQ2 is the next version: the panel in Suretydiy store looks like the previous version of the panel on Qolsys website

1. What are the features (or lack thereof) of GC3 that would be missing today, until the firmware comes out, compare to 2GIG Go!Control / IQ panels?

2. If you were to predict, what the new GC3 firmware would bring to the table once it comes out, what would that be?

thanks for IQ vs. IQ2 correction. I thought that IQ2 is the next version: the panel in Suretydiy store looks like the previous version of the panel on Qolsys website

There is an announced and upcoming “IQ Panel 2” but it is not yet released. This is distinct from the “IQ2” which is a secondary keypad. The naming conventions could be better :slight_smile:

What are the features (or lack thereof) of GC3 that would be missing today, until the firmware comes out, compare to 2GIG Go!Control / IQ panels?
  1. 2 Way voice call quality improvements.
  2. Wifi backup not yet enabled.
  3. Officially only Kwikset locks are named as compatible. Other models may work but without full function.
  4. The ADC-T2000 thermostat and Remote Temp Sensor is not yet fully supported.
  5. No comparable secondary touchscreen keypad.
If you were to predict, what the new GC3 firmware would bring to the table once it comes out, what would that be?

As 2GIG does not publish this information we cannot say with any accuracy. New features, resolving compatibility, and performance tweaks would be handled based on priority.

I would imagine Wifi and tweaks to support an inevitable secondary keypad would be high on the list.

Thanks, that clears it up a bit.

Wifi backup not yet enabled
  1. In case I use cellular, does this mean whenever cellular module does not work “alarm dot com” can fallback to communicating with a panel over network?
Officially only Kwikset locks are named as compatible
  1. Is there anything missing from “Kwikset locks”? Any drawbacks of using them?
In case I use cellular, does this mean whenever cellular module does not work “alarm dot com” can fallback to communicating with a panel over network?

Yes, if the panel has built in Wifi, like the IQ Panel, or if you have the necessary network device, in the case of 2GIG Go!Control, the Go!Bridge. (Per the product description, the bridge uses the 900mhz XCVR2, which would be needed)

Is there anything missing from “Kwikset locks”? Any drawbacks of using them?

I’d say Kwikset is inarguably the most commonly used brand, but the more common prior generation models like the 910 with only 5 buttons have a huge drawback: only 5 buttons. This gives a total of only 625 different button sequences. Compared to 10 button models which have 10,000 possible combinations of 4 digit codes, not to mention some like the Yale Real Living levers and Deadbolts which permit up to 8 digit codes which equals if my math is correct 100,000,000 possible combinations.

in the case of 2GIG Go!Control, the Go!Bridge
  1. Does it mean GC3 does not support the “Go!Bridge” yet? Or it has a built in wifi module inside that could be activated with the firmware upgrade?
only 5 buttons have a huge drawback: only 5 buttons
  1. This could be a separate forum topic of course, but if I don’t mind to cary a key + my phone: do I really need these buttons? i.e. what is the drawback to use these locks?
Does it mean GC3 does not support the “Go!Bridge” yet? Or it has a built in wifi module inside that could be activated with the firmware upgrade?

The GC3 has a built in wifi adapter. It is not currently available, a firmware update is needed to enable wifi in the GC3. It cannot use the Go!Bridge

The Go!Control Panel does not have built in wifi, and uses the Go!Bridge.

This could be a separate forum topic of course, but if I don’t mind to cary a key + my phone: do I really need these buttons? i.e. what is the drawback to use these locks?

The Kevo lock which was linked is not compatible with any of the Alarm panels or Alarm.com and uses Bluetooth as opposed to Z-wave. (I believe there is a Kevo Plus with wifi as well, but again not Alarm.com compatible) You would not be able to regulate users, set automatic lock/disarm rules, or control it at all using the Alarm.com app, so if the goal is to have an integrated lock, this one won’t work.

In general look to Schlage, Yale, and Kwikset push button and touchscreen deadbolts/levers.

ah… thanks for alarm.com incompatibility catch.

are these the only alarm.com supported locks?

I thought of Schlage at first, but it does not work with GC3. Which lock (or a couple) would you recommend that would both be alarm.com + GC3 compartible?

Schlage does unfortunately have some compatibility concerns with the GC3 currently. Yale as well is not officially compatible. All models of Kwikset are currently officially compatible with the GC3 per 2GIG.

910, 912, 914, and 916.

However, yes, that is the list of Alarm.com compatible Z-wave locks. The 2GIG Go!Control and Qolsys IQ are compatible with this entire list.

If you were to predict, what the new GC3 firmware would bring to the table once it comes out, what would that be?

BTW, Actually got word from 2GIG today that wifi, bluetooth, Z-wave range improvements, and 2-way voice improvements are all expected in first firmware.

thanks.

1. going by the version number and z wave support would Kwikset 916 be the best out of all the 900 series supported?

2. Also I looked at some videos from this reddit thread and it seems that Kwikset (even 916) could be simply opened by a force tool (or a screw driver) and pliers. Does it mean there is no good lock that is supported by GC3?

Schlage does have the highest ANSI grade for their Z-wave deadbolts. We’ve found Yales to have a high quality (though I believe they are rated ANSI 2.)

If the Kwikset is undesirable (as far as build quality, I would recommend one of Schlage or Yale) it would be necessary to wait for firmware compatibility for full functionality.

Keep in mind the lock does not require the integration to function on its own if you want to install it now.

BTW, Actually got word from 2GIG today that wifi, bluetooth, Z-wave range improvements, and 2-way voice improvements are all expected in first firmware.

that’s great news

Keep in mind the lock does not require the integration to function on its own if you want to install it now.

If I buy Schlage now, until the GC3 firmware comes out, will I be able to remotely open/close it? Also which Schlage (deadbolt) would you recommend?

If I buy Schlage now, until the GC3 firmware comes out, will I be able to remotely open/close it?

You can try to connect the Schlage lock to the panel and certain functions may work, but I would not recommend it until the device is officially supported by 2GIG. We’ve experienced a number of malfunctions/broken features/pairing problems. I would recommend waiting or, if you want it now, buy it with the intention of pairing it with your panel at a later time.

If it is not connected to a Z-wave controller, then no, you cannot remotely control it.

Also which Schlage (deadbolt) would you recommend?

The 469 model is an update of the 468 and has an internal audible alert which is programmable.

The 469 model

Is this the one?

1. Probabilistically, once the GC3 firmware comes out, what are the chances this lock would be supported?

2. What is really the reason a current firmware does not support this lock? some kind of z-wave driver missing? protocol lib? does not work on its frequency, etc? I just want to understand better why a z-wave station won’t support a certain z-wave device.

3. In case a new GC3 firmware won’t support this lock. What are my options? Buying some kind of 3rd party z-wave hub specifically for this lock?