Lyric vs. GC3 vs. Qolsys

1. Probabilistically, once the GC3 firmware comes out, what are the chances this lock would be supported?

Schlage, Yale, and Kwikset are the big three lock manufacturers compatible with Alarm.com systems, so extremely likely.

2. What is really the reason a current firmware does not support this lock? some kind of z-wave driver missing? protocol lib? does not work on its frequency, etc? I just want to understand better why a z-wave station won’t support a certain z-wave device.

Manufacturers typically won’t go into this detail. However, no, frequency does not deviate device to device. Commonly a device will use certain command class(es) that are not enabled in the controller.

3. In case a new GC3 firmware won’t support this lock. What are my options? Buying some kind of 3rd party z-wave hub specifically for this lock?

For any kind of remote control and management, yes.

New to the forum. Just want to say thanks for all the helpful info that’s been supplied to us users.

No problem! Always happy to help and welcome to the forum!

Jason,

Can you elaborate on the GE sensors being encrypted? I can’t find this mentioned anywhere, and have been told they are not. Thanks.

Can you elaborate on the GE sensors being encrypted? I can’t find this mentioned anywhere, and have been told they are not. Thanks

The 319.5 MHz frequency used by GE sensors is an encrypted transmission protocol. There is not much that can be elaborated on as these are security sensors and their manufacturer would likely never publish details on security measures.