Lock automation question

How do I create this automation rule:

Five mins after door closes, if still unlocked, lock it.

?

That’s not an automation option in Alarm.com.

Individual lock models may have auto-relock options in lock programming. Most Schlage and Yale models have an optional 30 second relock I believe.

This is a rule that automation needs to execute. The lock doesn’t know the door open/closed state, so simple delay lock frequently bungles it by locking an open door.

I don’t know how ADC can call itself an automation system if it can’t do something this basic, and necessary.

Can I run two automation systems in parallel?

Can I connect a z-wave lock, and a door sensor, to more than one network at a time?

Can I have ADC lock and unlock the door for arming, or by scenes, but also have an actual automation controller do the work that ADC can’t?

You can lock based on arming, unlock based on disarming, and vice versa, arm based on locking and disarm based on unlocking.

You can unlock based on fire/smoke/co detector alarms.

You can also lock based on other lock activity.

You can lock or unlock in scenes along with any other scene capable actions.

Automation rules are commonly derived to assist by performing an action that is not related but helpful (unlocking based on fire alarms) or convenient and saving time due to home layout (disarming by unlocking) or grouped as scenes for one touch control.

I understand the desire to automate as much as possible and I am happy to forward user feedback to Alarm.com, but I am not sure I can just tell Alarm.com this is a necessity. Considering you’ve just closed the door, the thumb turn can be turned in the same action.

Describing use cases can sometimes help push requests along. Is this to be used as a just in case when the door is opened by someone else in the home in case locking is forgotten?

Is there no circumstance whatsoever where you would leave a door unlocked?

Such a rule would not be able to discern intention, and I would think somewhat frequently doors would lock on individuals who arrive home then go back out for the mail, or when letting out a pet, or any other potential activity that keeps you near/at home, but would likely close the door for.

Similar ideas, the just in case scenarios, are usually instead handled by reminder notifications rather than automatically changing the status. Systems do not arm automatically if you leave, for example, but you can be reminded if you use geoservices and get far enough away from home that the system is still disarmed.

To that end, you can set up a Lock Left Unlocked notification in Alarm.com.

Visit the Notifications page, add a new notification and select the Lock Left Unlocked template. You can select the time-frame for the lock to be unlocked before the reminder is sent.

I like the lock left unlocked notification idea. It’s better than nothing. But what would be much more secure, to me, is just lock the door if someone forgot! The use case is for kids, absent minded residents, etc.

There is zero downside for locking the door behind people after some time, (as long as someone who knows the lock code is around).

I guess it would be a bummer for a guest, if I had run to the store or something, and they had gone out into the backyard to swim, then found themselves stuck, naked. :slight_smile:

So then the final answer I guess is no, ADC can’t lock the door if it’s closed and unlocked for a bit.

So how about my other question then: can ADC/Qolsys and an automation controller both register and control the same z-wave devices at the same time?

Oh and to answer your question about use case: I don’t think it would be a problem if I did twenty minutes of yard work, or returned from a walk around the block, and found I had to had to unlock my door again.

So how about my other question then: can ADC/Qolsys and an automation controller both register and control the same z-wave devices at the same time?

Maybe. It has been possible in the past on systems, including the IQ Panel 2/2+, and generally you have access to compatible devices in ADC and then the primary controller acts as a parallel control network. (it would not be able to use the panel sensor status though. That is not shared, so your specific example wouldn’t work.)

The interaction as a secondary Z-wave controller is not required for Z-wave certification and is not yet officially tested on the IQ Panel 4 afaik. We have had users attempt to link Smartthings with the IQ Panel 4 and fail for example, but it’s not clear if the issue is the Smartthings software or the panel learning functions on the IQ Panel based on the testing.

Lots of great info, thank you. I hope ADC and Qolsys will focus on cross platform connection, and comprehensive and customizable automation, in the future.