Local record all cameras

Hi!

New to Surety and ADC, just getting set up now. Bought a IQ4 panel and an indoor camera.

I plan to buy four outdoor cameras too. I want to put an SD card in each, and local record all of them.

But a how-to post here suggests that ADC only supports two cameras locally recording. Is that true? Why would that be?

It seems I should be able to do anything I want locally. What impact would it be for them, that they need to prevent it?

How can I do local recording on all my cameras?

Thanks!

This may answer your question.

https://support.suretyhome.com/t/onboard-recording/18008/3

It didn’t, it just repeats what I wrote. My questions are, how do I local record all my cameras? And why would I not be able to?

Also the topic you linked to discussed SVR, and ADC killed those products, right? That’s why I wanted to buy cameras with SD cards in them!

It can be done. I highlighted the relevant section that says as much. Looks like that post I referenced instructed that user to send a PM to @jwcsurety to make the changes to allow for what you need. I’m sure he will reach out to you Monday w exactly how to do it when he enables it on the account. Hope this clarifies it.

Oh wait, so you are saying that they support a.) local recording on up to two cameras plus SVR support, or b.) we can have no SVR support but local recording on all our cameras? If so, I’m sorry I didn’t understand what you meant at first.

But then, before I make more mistakes: what is the pros and cons between the two approaches? Is SD cards inside every camera essentially the same as SVR? Or are there gotchas?

Ultimately what I’m trying to achieve is a rolling record that I can access add needed, not just little snips taken only when ADC AI thinks it should.

The guys from surety will def advise you the best route to go but from what I’ve been told and read on here you can choose no SVR on your account and then have onboard recording(more than 2) for all the cameras on your account that have the onboard capability. Not all cameras do. Check the threads on here for cameras that support the feature. Hope that clarifies some things.

Yes, looks like you got the correct answer here already, just confirming that with Surety Protect or Complete plans, by default you get SVR support, and the plan that uses in ADC automatically supports 2 onboard recording cams.

Optionally, if you do not want SVR, we can turn that off and instead enable onboard recording for all cameras that are compatible.

Onboard recording seems to be the direction that Alarm.com has chosen to move forward with for residential users. I haven’t heard of any SVR122 replacement yet, but the commercial focused SVR126 can be used.

The same basic functionality is available with either option. You can view 24/7 recording through your Alarm.com account for the cameras.

The main difference is the camera records across the LAN when using the SVR, so local network traffic or router issues can affect it.
With the SVR you can connect a display to it and play back locally. With onboard recording, the video can only be viewed through your Alarm.com account.

Thank you for the good breakdown. A question about cameras and local network bandwidth: where is the processing done on these “AI cameras”?

Do they save any network traffic, or is all video still steamed to ADC for analysis? I’m worked about several cameras, watching Netflix, and a couple of zoom meetings, everything choking everything else.

Are there best practices you can recommend?

Analytics is run in the cameras. Here are the general upload bandwidth requirements on a per-camera basis:

Watching Netflix is not fighting for the same bandwidth. Your upload speed is what the ADC cams rely on.

For cameras, I would always recommend having a dedicated 2.4 Ghz network SSID that does not have shared SSID with 5 Ghz. Mesh wifi tends to cause issues as it improves coverage and manages bandwidth to the detriment of a persistent, reliable connection.

Ok, so I don’t see the 522 listed, but I’ll bet it’s safe to assume it’s about the same 1.5mbps as some of the others.

And so one doorbell, one inside cam, and four outside cams streaming up would be perhaps ten Mbps, or my current plan’s total max upstream rate.

Do they stream all the time, or only when I open a stream from the app?

If analytics is done on the camera, this implies that they only stream when they think it’s needed?

And if I enable local recording for all sorted cams, and put the right as cards in them, then does this reduce bandwidth?

As far as the mesh network guess, yes well that’s what I have, and it’s useful. It doesn’t support creating additional ssids and restricting data rates, either.

What about the ADC gateway Surety sells? Would that help this? I don’t see any antennas, so would not be surprised if it doesn’t work for outside cameras at all four corners of the house.

Sorry, my bad, obv " '22" covers '522, so 1.5mbs is safe assumption for that too…

Yes those values are when streaming/uploading. Typically, Alarm.com requires an indefinite broadband connection of at least 0.5 Mbps of dedicated upload speed per video device. Then streaming, audio, etc., requires extra bandwidth.

And if I enable local recording for all sorted cams, and put the right as cards in them, then does this reduce bandwidth?

No. The basic bandwidth usage is not affected, and streaming saved video requires the same as live video.

As far as the mesh network guess, yes well that’s what I have, and it’s useful. It doesn’t support creating additional ssids and restricting data rates, either.
What about the ADC gateway Surety sells? Would that help this? I don’t see any antennas, so would not be surprised if it doesn’t work for outside cameras at all four corners of the house.

The ADC Smart Gateway is more a convenience option than a powerful one. It only supports a recommended max of 4 cameras, and yes, range would be better with a more powerful router/access point with exterior antenna.

You can use a router with a range matching your needs as a dedicated access point for the cameras. I would recommend this if you have a Mesh wifi setup.

On the bandwidth requirements, I was interested in SD card storage because I thought the way ADC works is, it only saves clips it thinks are important. I thought continuous recording was an option, but not the default? But instead, all cameras, stream all data 24hrs/day, and SD card local recording does not reduce upload bandwidth?

Ok thanks, I gotcha on the router, will do some research.

Also will look into the ADC poe cameras as another way to attack that problem. I have Ethernet already run to four outdoor cameras at each corner of the house, but these are hikvision which I understand are not supported by ADC. They run into an nvr now.

So I was thinking one option would be to try tossing the cameras and nvr, but reusing the cabling. Are there any POE cameras you sell that are better than the others?

Also does Surety sell a POE switch?

Onboard recording is 24/7 recording. More information on this feature can be found in the below guide:

So I was thinking one option would be to try tossing the cameras and nvr, but reusing the cabling. Are there any POE cameras you sell that are better than the others?

Here is a list of all current PoE compatible cameras that can be used:

PoE Compatible:

• 180° HD Camera (ADC-V622)
  • Indoor/Outdoor Mini Bullet (ADC-VC726)
  • Indoor/Outdoor Bullet Camera (ADC-VC736)
  • Indoor/Outdoor Dome (ADC-VC826)
  • Indoor/Outdoor Turret Camera (ADC-VC836)

Compatible cameras and specs can be found in the below guide:

The only one we carry currently is the 180° HD Camera (ADC-V622)

Also does Surety sell a POE switch?

No we do not, all items sold through Surety can be found through our storefront here.