Light Switch Questions

I’m wanting to start moving my system into my finished basement. I want there to be plenty of signal. I have a 3-way switch at the top of the stairs and another at the bottom to turn main lights on/off. What 3-way z-wave compatible light switches are there? Can I use 2 Linear WS15Z-1 switches? Really not sure if wireless switches are labeled 1-way, 3-way, etc. I see there’s a switch too that isn’t actually load bearing, but controls other switches?

I’d like them to be z-wave repeaters too. My house is solid brick with plaster walls. After the switches it should be no problem adding 2gig smokes and co2. Although it sounds this task may be easier and less expensive by adding a few inter-connected smokes and use the firefighter module. Will be putting a new t-stat in too down there (heat only).

I’m wanting to start moving my system into my finished basement

Are you referring to the control panel itself? I would strongly advise against that. All communication will be affected negatively to some degree or another.

If you just mean you are going to start adding other devices there, disregard, of course.

What 3-way z-wave compatible light switches are there? Can I use 2 Linear WS15Z-1 switches? Really not sure if wireless switches are labeled 1-way, 3-way, etc. I see there’s a switch too that isn’t actually load bearing, but controls other switches?

The way this is typically handled is by a single Zwave load bearing switch and a transmitter switch which is linked wirelessly to the first. (Like the WT00Z-1) The transmitter just gets powered off of line power, but does not physically control the circuit. You will typically need a third party controller with an “Associate” function. The Aeon Labs Minimote is our favorite option.

If you are concerned with signal for the smoke detectors, interconnected is def the way to go (assuming it is affordable to do so) since you can choose the best spot for signal and place the firefighter next to that smoke detector.

Are you referring to the control panel itself? I would strongly advise against that. All communication will be affected negatively to some degree or another.

If you just mean you are going to start adding other devices there, disregard, of course.

Just referring to “growing” the system downstairs. The panel will be mounted in the center of the first floor. Just as it is now.

The way this is typically handled is by a single Zwave load bearing switch and a transmitter switch which is linked wirelessly to the first. (Like the Evolve LSM-15 and LTM-5) The transmitter just gets powered off of line power, but does not physically control the circuit. You will typically need a third party controller with an “Associate” function. The Aeon Labs Minimote is our favorite option.

If you are concerned with signal for the smoke detectors, interconnected is def the way to go (assuming it is affordable to do so) since you can choose the best spot for signal and place the firefighter next to that smoke detector.

Ok, great! Will one or both of these switches be able to repeat the z-wave signal? I haven’t tested the signal strength downstairs, but would like to play it safe. If not, I could always get a dedicated repeater.

Are the requirements for creating a mesh network still the same? Last I heard you had to install devices in a certain order.

Yep, as AC powered Zwave radios, they will act as repeaters. You’ll have to learn them into the network in the permanent location since they are line powered, but you can run your panel on battery and bring it close to learn them in. Technically, the order doesn’t matter. In order for the Wt00Z-1 to control the other switch, you need to associate them using the minimote. In this case, order matters as indicated in Minimote instructions.

Thanks Jason. Good news!

I installed a Linear WS15Z Switch for the Load Bearing Switch and it works perfectly as a standard switch and as a zwave switch. I also am using a WT00Z Linear 3-Way switch where the old standard 3 way switch was located at. For the 3 Way Switch I believe I have it installed correctly as it is very simple – Just Ground, Hot, & Neutral- The Tracer wire has been capped off. The switch also is lit at the bottom just like the other Linear switches I have which leads me to believe it is installed correctly.

I also have an Aeon Labs MiniMote – The Minimote, WS15Z & WT00Z are all recognized by the 2Gig control panel and I can see that they are all there.

When trying to associate the WT00Z with the WS15Z I am not able to associate them… The minimote does not seem to be doing the trick – I follow the Nortek Bulletin to the letter and the lets never blink faster when double tapping the 15Z & when I have completed the steps exactly as outlined I still am unable to use the 00Z to control the 15Z.

Just to rule things out I removed both of the switches (hard wired & through the 2Gig Panel) and replaced them with the exact same switches just from a different box just to rule out the possibility of a bad switch – Still Doesn’t Work.

This leads me to believe that the MiniMote seems to be the problem as it is not associating the switches.

Is there anything else I can try or any other way to associate the 00Z to the 15Z? What would you do next? I tried to do an uninstall of the MiniMote and do a fresh reinstall but I cannot seem to remove it… I’m thinking my only option at this point is to get a new MiniMote and go that route…

Any thoughts would be appreciated— I am presently in the process of switching our whole home to Z-Wave control and it has been going very well but now I am at the stage where I need to address my 3 & 4 Way switches and get them taken care of.

The first thing that pops to mind is that the associate function requires you to associate the Switch to the Transmitter, specifically, so the order would be:

Learn in devices to main controller.
Learn in minimote to main controller.
Press Associate.
Press the Load-bearing switch learn function.
Press the Transmitter learn function.

Have you been pressing the transmitter first by chance?

That’s the way I have been doing it. The minimote does not go from blinking slow to fast it anything like that. I really think the minimote seems to be the problem. … I updated is firmware tried again with no luck. …

Also just to see I pressed buttons 1 and 2 on the minimote at the same time and from what I read that should turn on all my zwave devices. … it did nothing

So the minimote indicator does not react to either switch when you perform their learn procedure?

Just to check, typically you need to double tap the switch button in order to activate the learn feature.

Jason,

Thanks for the quick replies! I made a brief video this morning to show what isn’t happening. I also attached a couple screenshot of the three items in my 2gig panel as well as a pic of the minimote. I have also tried resetting the minimote with the same results
Minimote Threeway Association

The video is a fantastic help, thank you.

Two things to try:

One: I do not see specific documentation showing it for this switch, but some require you to double tap the bottom half (the off portion) of the rocker for the learn function, can you try that?

And two: Double tap the switch more quickly. Commonly for certain Z-wave switches/appliance modules, you almost need to beat the internal relay (Evolve Appliance modules spring to mind) with the second tap.

I’ll try that when I go for lunch thanks! If it works I’ll make a video and share it for all! There seems to be far too much confusion with the minimote and not much documentation is available.

Now I’ve got two CT100 thermostats acting up! Ugh this was suppose to make the home life easier haha

Round 2… Round 2

Still no luck. … what an I doing wrong here

Ignore the second switch for the moment. Your minimote indicator should flash once it has received signal from the switch first. Let’s verify whether or not the minimote is catching the signal from the switch.

First, run a network rediscovery at the panel. Wait until the rediscovery is done.

Then, press associate.

Verify the blue indicator slowly blinks.

Then double tap the switch. Wait by the switch with the minimote. The blue indicator should flicker when it catches the signal and flash twice as fast when ready for the transmitter. If the indicator does not respond within 3-5 seconds, try double tapping the top of the rocker switch. However you learned the switch into your 2GIG panel is what you will want to do here. If the minimote indicator does not respond, it is not seeing the switch for some reason.

I’ll give it a try but the only way I learned the switches to the panel wad by hitting add device on the panel. I didn’t have to do anything with the switches themselves

I’ll give it a try but the only way I learned the switches to the panel wad by hitting add device on the panel. I didn’t have to do anything with the switches themselves

A Zwave device cannot be included in a network without requesting inclusion, then it is locked to that network until removed. I see you posted images showing node ids in the 2GIG panel, but you would have had to perform a learn procedure on the switches.

When you select “Add Device” at the 2GIG Panel, your panel will listen for a new device to be added. See from the WS15Z instructions attached below for network inclusion.

Those devices will all three need to be part of the same network in order for the associate to function.

Just for a clean slate it may not be bad to start fresh.

Go to your Zwave menu on your 2GIG panel.
Go to the installer options.
Press “Remove Device”
Double tap switch. Your panel should show that a device was removed

Press “Remove Device” again.
Double tap transmitter. Your panel should show that a device was removed

Press “Remove Device” again.
Press the learn procedure of the minimote. Your panel should show that a device was removed

Then, press “add device”
double tap the switch. Your panel should show that a device was added

Then “Add device”
double tap the transmitter. Your panel should show that a device was added

Then “Add device”
perform the learn procedure on the minimote. Your panel should show that a device was added

Then, run a network rediscovery.

Finally, once the rediscovery is done, try associating the two. Verify the minimote indicator flashes faster after the first switch.

Capture10.png

I wish it was that simple to remove the devices… but in my case I cannot simply click and remove the device it just sits there until the device is disconnected from power then I can remove it… so I’ll need to pull the swiches from the wall… remove them from the panel and then try it all over again…
But there doesn’t seem to be a way to remove the minimote at all… I will try moving the minimote 300+ feet away from the house then maybe I can do it. But I am unable to simply click on a device and remove it from the panel. Thand for all the help so far!

Also I’m assuming I would want network wide inclusion vs standard?

Awesome! Thanks! I’m really a newbie at all of this. I did do the panels nice though lol. Used a recessed outlet behind the panel and then mpunted the panel to thewall covering the recessed outlet so no ugly transformer sticking out down below