Learn existing sensors

I just bought a house with an ADT security system.

ADT would not release the Qolsys IQ Panel 2+.

So I bought an IQ Panel 4 from Surety.

It’s basically set up and working.

I successfully reset then added the kwikset front door lock.

But can’t add any existing security sensors.

Auto learn never lists anything when I open and close windows, doors, etc.

Both old and new panels are 319.

What am I doing wrong?

Can u post a picture of ur old adt panel and pictures of ur sensors

Sure, see attached.

But the real question on my mind is, shouldn’t I be able to detect the sensors as they switch? Or are they somehow encoded and locked to the old panel?

The auto find routine does nothing. It’s like the sensors are a different frequency or something. But the old panel is clearly marked 319 on the radio modules on the PCB.

What I was wondering is, do I need to somehow reset the sensors before they can be detected and reused?

What’s different with these sensors is the sensors that r installed a dsc Powerg they r encrypted and when not delated from old system can be a little tricky to get programmed in too a new system but trust me it can be let me see if I can find a video that can help u more I had trouble when I had this happen

Huh, so I could put the old panel back on, then delete all the sensors, then reinstall the new panel? World that work? Do the sensors know they are deregistered and make themselves available?

This will explain I know it sounds crazy but that’s how these sensors do I had a IQ panel that was acting up well as I was trying to replace the panel it froze to where I couldn’t delate the sensors from the panel so I had this trouble but it’s where they r encrypted

I thought I read that all I needed to do was open/close a window or door.

But think I get what your are saying. The idea of not being able to rogue take over a sensor in use, is pretty good, actually :slight_smile:

I’ll try first putting the old panel back on and deregistering them.

If that doesn’t work I’ll pop the lids off and see if I can find same sort of enrollment button.

If that doesn’t work I’ll watch the video :slight_smile:

You rock, thank you for the help and advice.

Ur welcome only issue might be getting in to the installer code if adt changed it

PowerG sensors are two way communication sensors, not just a broadcast sensor like a 319.5 mhz sensor. A broadcast only sensor can report to multiple systems, however PowerG link to one specific panel

You should be able to delete the PowerG sensors or reset them, and then re-install them on the new system. Let us know if you have any questions or trouble. Let us know the model number of any sensors you have trouble with

No, the basic suggestion didn’t work. I registered the old panel, then removed all the sensors there, them reinstalled the new panel, and still could not trigger sensor visibility by opening/closing windows etc.

Next I popped the lid off each sensor and held the button pressed. This allowed the sensors to be seen by the panel. I named them, categorized them, went through all of them in the house.

Then went to test, and most of them said “status unknown” and did not work.

Then I tried to use the app as a remote status monitor, so I didn’t have to keep running back and forth between panel and sensor. But maddeningly, it seems the app does not support real time sensor monitoring?

So I went through the house and popped each sensor off the wall, brought it to the panel, deleted it, re-registered it, then before putting it back, used a magnet to open/close a few times, to trigger tamper fault.

This time, as long as I made sure to not only register reach sensor but also trigger tamper, they stayed registered.

But even though they work, many show as not working in the app (but not on the panel). And as far as I can see, another bonehead thing about the app is, no way to force sync.

Early days still, but so far my observations are: app is bad, documentation is bad, support here is bad. Time will tell if I can put up with this much of my time being wasted, on an online basis…

Thank you for the follow up.

No, the basic suggestion didn’t work. I registered the old panel, then removed all the sensors there, them reinstalled the new panel, and still could not trigger sensor visibility by opening/closing windows etc

Learning in the sensors will require following the manufacturer instruction for each model, depending on what models you have and what frequency they use. We can help provide instruction for the various models you have, are there any you are still having trouble with?
If they are all PowerG this will generally mean using the learn button inside or by powering up the sensor with battery insertion depending on the model.

Alternatively you can manually add them by typing the sensor’s ID. I typically recommend this route for PowerG.

For reference, your photo appears to be a PG9303. Here is the manual for that device.

Then went to test, and most of them said “status unknown” and did not work.

PowerG is a two way communication protocol and uses adaptive battery power draw. Shortly after pairing the devices there may be a period where the status of the sensor is not yet updated on the panel. It is common to see a “Not Networked” condition. This will go away after some time, or often activity at the sensor.

Then I tried to use the app as a remote status monitor, so I didn’t have to keep running back and forth between panel and sensor. But maddeningly, it seems the app does not support real time sensor monitoring?

No, it does not support real time status in the terms that I think you are describing. You can refresh the app to pull the latest status, and you can view the current status of the system under normal activity, but there will still be a delay depending on the circumstance.

The app cannot be used to view immediate repeated open/close events like you may have been trying when testing. The panel must be used for that.

For Door/Window contacts there is a 3 minute delay between when the same signal will be processed again and show in history/used for notification purposes.

If you open the door, the status will change to open shortly following, then if you open the door again 20 times in 3 minutes, it won’t register another open until the 3 minute delay is up.

But even though they work, many show as not working in the app (but not on the panel). And as far as I can see, another bonehead thing about the app is, no way to force sync.

I’m not seeing any devices with unknown status at this time. All seem to be reporting normally, however, note that it looks like according to ADC you have all the zones programmed as Entry Exit points. That means that windows will start an entry delay when opened when the system is armed, instead of immediately alarming.

Typically you would want to use the Perimeter sensor group for windows and doors that are not used for entry when returning home. You can change this under each sensor under Settings > Advanced Settings > Installer Code > Installation > Devices > Security Sensors > Edit Sensor.

Interesting about the 3 min delay in reporting multiple triggers of the same sensor.
I have several sensors that show more than one open/close within a 3 minute period.

Interesting about the 3 min delay in reporting multiple triggers of the same sensor.
I have several sensors that show more than one open/close within a 3 minute period.

Please post a screenshot of any example of this.

You may see Open (less than 3 minutes) Closed (less than 3 minutes) then Open again.

The time between the two Open events will be 3+ minutes.

Got it.

They should fix the app for setup. It could easily be used to ease setup pains. It’s on the same wifi network so wouldn’t need any server contact or round trip delay at all.

I changed the group for the windows, and lengthened the delay for the back door. Thanks!

Is it possible to talk directly to alarm.com, for bug reports and feature requests? Or can I make them here and will they get passed on?

If you have feature requests or need troubleshooting with bugs, the forum is the best place for it, or via private message here on the support site.

We can discuss requests and forward them with your examples.

Ok great! Then can you please pass on my feature requests for the app:

1. Can take a half hour or more to sync sensor state with the panel, this is wrong and needs to be fixed. Should take no more than thirty seconds or a minute even with panel-server-app path. Something else is broken.

2. For setup, we should have a setup/test mode which just uses the wifi network between the panel and the app, and update instantly, so I don’t have to run back and forth across my property while I set up, test and configure.

Or maybe there’s a qolsys app for this purpose? Something local and immediate, remote configuration.