Iq2+ dropping z-wave network every few days

I was hoping that 2.5.3 would fix this, but it didn’t seem to. I still have a brand new out of package Qolsys bulb that fails to work with my IQ2+, along with the Linear bulb that had been working for well over a year. I have tried removing both bulbs, adding them back, and doing network rediscovery…both bulbs continue to “malfunction”.

@russel.callen did you try to reboot the panel and see if that solves the issue ?

Where are these devices in relation to the panel? Does one of them need the other to repeat the signal?

It is pretty suspicious if an issue becomes apparent after repeated power loss events. It is likely that the power fluctuations have caused a problem either in a Z-wave device (which may be needed to reach the other in the mesh network) or in the panel.

Often when the Z-wave radio exhibits odd behavior a reboot can help. I would try what the other user suggested, try rebooting that panel via the panel software: Settings > Advanced Settings > Reboot Panel.

Afterward, try excluding and re-adding the bulbs. Any change?

just curious, perhaps this has been brought up already, maybe a repeater might be needed?

Also, the new update to 2.5.3 has the ability to move nodes (I think) on the node map.

“Improved the built-in Z-Wave Diagnostics Map on the Panel when using the Z-Wave 6.81 SDK to include RSSI values and the ability to move devices on the map”

I haven’t actually tried this, but would you be able to move the problematic node to a more stable node (like one that is plugged in and not battery powered and has a better RSSI value in dB)? Or perhaps move the node to communicate directly to the panel?

I’ve rebooted, I’ve upgraded, and I’ve removed/re-added the 2 lights in question several times.

I am now on 2.5.3, I removed the “failed” devices. I rebooted the panel. I then added the device back by resetting the device for inclusion (turning it off/on repeatedly until bulb flashes). It is discovered, I select for inclusion and then it immediately shows it as malfunctioned. I have tried rebooting after inclusion, no change. I have another one of these bulbs that works fine, it has always worked fine. All of these bulbs are less than 20’ from the panel itself, there is also a switched plug very close in proximity that could act as a repeater. When I attempt to rediscover the “failed” nodes they fail to complete neighbor discovery.

I’m not looking to throw more money in the trash bin, as my 3rd bulb in this discussion is brand new out of package and was purchase to replace the one that failed initially…but now that original bulb and the brand new one exhibit the same problems.

I’m curious, have you tried connecting the new bulb in a different fixture to test? If two have failed in the same fixture I am curious if it is possibly being under-powered or if there is some other issue with that circuit. It’s a reach, but an easy test.

So I have tried both the original bulb and the brand new Qolsys bulb in multiple different fixtures on different circuits (my house power is normally very stable and my UPSes all report 120.0V and 60.0hz), in all cases they fail to work with the panel. I’ve tried rebooting after removing the nodes, after adding the nodes, etc…no change. It also seems the panel doesn’t clear out the registration fully when you delete a failed device, as it continues to increment the device number. The current number assigned is number 30, however it skips from 22 to 30…no doubt if I delete these failed nodes to add them back they will be registered at 31 and 32. I have used a lamp that is placed on the floor directly below the IQ2+ panel, so it isn’t a range issue.

I have 2 bulbs that the panel fails to manage, I suppose it is possible that they are both dead…but that seems unlikely that one is new out of package, I don’t have any other Zwave controllers to test with. I’ve attempted to use every ZWave diagnostics tool that is in the panel, the panel completely fails to talk to these devices.

It isn’t like these bulbs are cheap, so throwing another $25-60 bucks away to find out that it won’t work isn’t something I am interested in. I don’t dare remove and re-add an other Z-wave devices as I fear it will end up with the same problem for them. The only other “new” Zwave devices I have on hand are hardwired, so not something that is an easy test and I’m not looking to waste more time without any confidence that it will change anything.

Is there anyway for someone at Surety to get deeper logs from the panel that may give hints as to what the problem is? At this point I am pretty aggravated at how much I have spent on a panel and monthly fees to end up with a Z-wave controller that is completely unreliable.

Did @adamf79 ever get any resolution, as our problems seem somewhat similar. I don’t know when the problems started exactly.

Russel, about logs. No but qolsys can. I been working with qolsys to work out zwave problems., and trust me 2.5.3 is good not all the way there but is good. Most of the problem is in S2 protocol now. anything that doesn’t use S2 should be fine.

If you want qolsys to look at your logs you have to go to settings and upload your logs. panel does not do it automatically. Then you will have to contact someone through private message here and send them your IMEI number and have them reach out to qolsys to start a ticket and have them look through logs.
it will help if you have dates and times that bulf fail and when you add and remove it. there is a lot of data to comb through so that will help.

My situation was different than yours, But giving that this is qolsys panel and qolysys bulb they should be able to get to the bottom of it quick.

I would contact @jwcsurety here he was always able to help with trick stuff when i need ADC involve.

Hope this helps

Yes, we will upload the logs here and see if Qolsys can find any specific issues.

I have 2 bulbs that the panel fails to manage, I suppose it is possible that they are both dead…but that seems unlikely that one is new out of package, I don’t have any other Zwave controllers to test with.

They would not be able to pair at all if they were dead. The panel must hear a signal from them during the inclusion process.

It also seems the panel doesn’t clear out the registration fully when you delete a failed device

The wording here makes me want to clarify exactly the steps you are taking when you remove the bulb. Are you only ever using the “Delete Failed Node” option?

Have you used “Clear Device” and activated the bulb to clear its parent network data fully?

If you have only ever been using the Delete Failed Device method, please instead try Clear Device, then while the panel is listening for devices to clear, activate the bulb. It doesn’t even need to be paired with the panel at the time.

The Panel will indicate that a device had its network info cleared, then you can try re-adding it.

@jwcsurety I agree, that if the bulbs were “dead” they shouldn’t register at all and that this must be a panel software defect.

I have tried both “Clear device” and “Delete failed node”, anytime I am doing the delete failed node I am also forcing the bulbs to reset. This is done by rapidly turning the light on/off until it blinks indicating the bulb was reset, my understanding is that this clears the previously enrolled network. Deleting the node from the controller and just activating the light would do nothing, as the light is already enrolled it won’t send an enrollment query unless I manually reset them via the on/off/on/off/on/off/on sequence. Regardless, the outcome is the same.

These bulbs are now registered as ID 32 & 33, the next device ID is 22. If I look at the Z-Wave device list, the first column is “ID” and it seems to endlessly increment that and there are now ~12-13 unoccupied IDs (e.g. 23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31) within the range of 1-33 due to removing these bulbs and adding them again trying to get this to work.

Today I again went through the process, using “Clear device” and then including both bulbs back in. The panel starts the “Retrieving Device Details” and then goes into the section to name it and enable automation etc. Immediately at that point an alert message shows up on the right corner of the IQ2+ screen, when I access the messages it will show that node as “Malfunction”. The “malfunction” alert is before even finishing naming the device or setting the “Automation” options. To say this more clearly, the panel reports “malfunction” for the Z-Wave node about 2 seconds after being presented the screen to name the device…before clicking the “Add” button.

@jwcsurety I set the panel to upload the logs every 24-hours. The logging level was still set at “debug” from the ridiculous ritual that was required to get to update from 2.5.0 to .1, or .1 to .2, which ever it was. I did reduce that logging as it seems to make the panel more sluggish. If they need a different log level set please let me know, or perhaps you can push those settings from the dealer ADC portal?

Today I again went through the process, using “Clear device” and then including both bulbs back in. The panel starts the “Retrieving Device Details” and then goes into the section to name it and enable automation etc. Immediately at that point an alert message shows up on the right corner of the IQ2+ screen, when I access the messages it will show that node as “Malfunction”. The “malfunction” alert is before even finishing naming the device or setting the “Automation” options. To say this more clearly, the panel reports “malfunction” for the Z-Wave node about 2 seconds after being presented the screen to name the device… before clicking the “Add” button.

Thank you very much for the clarification and description here. This detail will help get to the bottom of it with Qolsys. We can request the logs from the panel at any time through dealer tools so periodic uploads aren’t necessary, but I’ve got those sent to Qolsys for review.

To my memory, I don’t recall ever seeing this particular issue with a light device more or less immediately reporting malfunction.

What is the model number of the following devices (the models for these are not reported to ADC by the panel):

1. Node 5 (Attic IT)
  2. Node 10 (Office)

What generation of home energy meter do you have?

Node 5 and Node 10 are both AEOTEC Smart Energy Switch
DCS06106-ZWUS, which is listed as compatible: https://qolsys.com/compatible-devices/

The home energy meter is the 2nd generation DSB28-ZWUS, I do have a 1st generation one but never installed it as I haven’t been able to update the firmware on it.

Node 5 and Node 10 are both AEOTEC Smart Energy Switch
DCS06106-ZWUS

Alright, thanks for confirming. Just wanted to make sure it wasn’t an unsupported model that might cause an interaction. A stretch regardless.

The HEM is more likely to be involved if device interference is an issue, given the fact that Qolsys directly addressed HEM capabilities in recent firmware, although I would expect it would affect way more than just the bulbs.

I wouldn’t doubt that this might be a bug related to Z-wave S2 changes, although I cannot replicate this with a Z-wave bulb on my own 2.5.3 system.

Do you have Z-wave 6.81? What is the Z-wave version under the About section on the panel?

Qolsys has not followed up yet on the ticket I submitted for this. I will reply here with their recommendation when we hear back. Should be soon.

software version is 2.5.3
Z-wave firmware is: 6.51.07
Z-wave API version is: 4.24

If you are asking if I have 6.8.1, and my panel is still on 6.51.07 then it would seem that could be the problem here that my panel never updated the Zwave SDK and software so it has the bugs that existed from pre-2.5.3?

It is not necessarily an issue to remain on 6.51. It’s just a potential reason why I wouldn’t be able to replicate as the panels I have are all updated to 6.81.

It also doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a bug is on all 6.51 panels, but it definitely helps in narrowing it down.

You could try updating and seeing if the same issues occur. However, other impacts from the SDK update would apply. Some users reported issues with non-S2 locks like old Kwikset models. Issues with some Schlage locks were reported. A long thread is found here.

@jwcsurety so this problem has gotten worse, now randomly rules do not execute fully. Some lights included in schedules turn on, while others to do not. Or automation for lights tied to sensors just stop working randomly. No errors for additional Z-wave devices that are failing to be operated by the rules, they just don’t function.

This is becoming pretty aggravating for the amount of money I spent to upgrade to the Qolsys panel to get better home automation than my old 2Gig offered, and yet I am now back to having worse functionality as the 2Gig was reliable for what it did do. Further problems are that when this is occurring I have rebooted the panel to then get an alarm system that doesn’t even work, the panel shows 5 bars of cellular service but then fails to pass any communication tests via cellular or WiFi…the only fix is to reboot it again.

This Qolsys firmware appears to be completely broken, if my house was to actually experience a break in or emergency I have lost faith that this system will actually do anything that I am paying for. Qolsys is failing to support the failed software on their systems.

This Qolsys firmware appears to be completely broken

I understand the frustration you feel. I can assure that what you are experiencing is not what happens on all systems.

We have been unable to recreate anything similar to this.

The likely culprits here are 6.51 Z-wave and the HEM. Removal of the home energy meter or upgrade to 6.81 would be the testing steps I would try.

Removal of the home energy meter would be easier to try and we can see if that improves anything. It looks like that has not been tried.

Also, apologies if it was asked before, but we’ve had prior reports of interference caused by Google mesh routers. Do you use Google Wifi?

No, no mesh WiFi or Google WiFi. My network is all Mikrotik, the network predates the Qolsys panel FWIW. The only new RF item that comes to mind is some Orbit B-hyve hub and valves, which IIRC uses some 900mhz spectrum to communicate with each other.

It just seems odd that the HEM could cause the issue when it has been in place for long before Qolsys entered my house and worked without issue on my 2Gig panel and on the Qolsys too, other than this perceived conflict with the newest firmware. I do have two other HEMs I was going to add to the mix to get more visibility on devices consuming power, one is a gen1 and the other is a gen5.

After rebooting again because schedules and sensor triggered automation wasn’t working correctly I added the bulbs that had been failing, those 2 bulbs are currently working perfectly fine!

Direct changes were made in firmware to accommodate the HEM and polling, and previous issues were reported.

If you continue to experience issues, either updating the Z-wave SDK or removing the HEM will be necessary to troubleshoot.