IQ Remote Secondary Panel no longer stays connected

Hi, recently I noticed that my IQ Remote Secondary Panel no longer consistently stays connected. Sometimes it’s connected, but a lot of the time, it says “Connected to Panel. Syncing.” How can I fix this?

Wifi hasn’t changed, so I don’t think it’s a connectivity issue.

It also causes the screen to wake up and won’t let it sleep during the times I have scheduled for screen-off.

Thanks
David

Is the remote connected to your home wifi or directly to the IQ panel access point?

The first general steps to take would be:

1. Reboot your router/access point
  2. Reboot your panel and remote.

Does that fresh reboot resolve the issue?

If not, and you are using your local network, do you use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5Ghz? This will commonly cause inconsistent connectivity.

You can instead use the access point mode on the IQ Panel 4 to connect the IQ Remote to that. Find on the panel under Settings > Advanced Settings > Installation > Devices > Wifi Devices > Access Point Settings.

It would also be recommended to update firmware:

Hi Jason, thank you for the info. I updated firmware, rebooted everything and tried to reconnect. Still no-go. I then tried connecting it via the panel AP but it still wouldn’t connect. SO, I did a factory reset of the remote, deleted it from the IQ panel 4, updated the firmware on the remote to 4.2.2 then re-paired the panel over my WiFi and it seemed to work.

I then put the remote back in it’s original location and it went back to the Syncing/initializing app loop and can’t seem to get past that. It says it’s connected to WiFi, but cannot initialize and displays the error “Database sync failed. Check the connection and try again.”

My network is the Ubiquity Dream Machine with a dedicated 2.4ghz SSID for the panel and remote…is there an incompatibility between this router and Qolsys panel? I find it odd that it won’t work via the Qolsys AP either, though.

Is there a way to hardwire Ethernet to both the panel and remote? I do have hardwired Ethernet at both locations.

If not, what other suggestions are there to try to get these to sync…and why did this suddenly become an issue?

Thank you!!
-David

Your panel is still reporting an installation date for the IQ Remote that is from 2022.

Can you try deleting that again and leave it deleted? Let me know so we can verify in ADC.

There is no wired ethernet option.

Ok, remote has been re-factory reset and has been removed from the IQ panel 4. Let me know when I should try re-installing it. Thanks!

Ok, I see it is cleared. Go ahead and reboot the main panel and then relearn the remote.

OK, everything has been rebooted and the remote has been re-paired. How does that look on your end? Thanks!

I’m not seeing any troubles for it and the status and installation dates show as expected.

Hi Jason, thank you for your help. It seems to be functioning correctly again.

Have a great day!!

Thanks,
-David

Hi again…

Well, out of the blue (after working fine since the last time I had my secondary panel disconnect a couple of months ago), the secondary panel went into its “trying to reconnect” screen.

I went into settings on my main panel and I got a “No Wi-Fi access. Please check your Wi-Fi or Router connection” message.

But, if I go into Wi-Fi settings on the panel, it shows connected with excellent signal strength. Absolutely nothing has changed with my Wi-Fi (it is a UniFi Dream Machine with a dedicated SSID for the alarm panels and everything had been dialed in for them). The UniFi UDM also shows that it is connected without any problems.

So not sure what has happened that the IQ Panel 4 thinks it isn’t connected to WiFi, when it clearly is. I have rebooted both the main panel and the secondary panel, with no luck.

I never thought I would say I miss my old 2GIG system, but the Qolsys panels with their connectivity have been far from great.

Anyway, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Hi @jwcsurety @tyler - just bumping this in case it wasn’t seen. Thanks!

To troubleshoot:

At the IQ Panel 4, navigate to Settings > Advanced Settings > Wi-Fi > Deactivate Wi-Fi by clicking on the checkbox. Wait a couple minutes then re-activate Wi-Fi and reconnect to the desired network. Does the issue at the IQ Panel 4 resolve?

If so, reconnect the IQ Remote to the same network and begin the Pairing Process

• First Master Reset the IQ Remote ( Menu […] > Master Reset)

Hi @tyler - I disabled wifi as you suggested. When it turned it back on, it immediately connected to the correct SSID, but then when I exit and go back into the menu, it gives me the no wi-fi access message.

Forget the network first, then deactivate wi-fi and retry.

To forget the network, select the network from the list of available networks, then click Forget. You will need to reconnect to it from scratch after deactivating then reactivating wi-fi. Any change after forgetting the netowrk?

I forgot the network, turned off WiFi, waited 10 minutes, turned it back on and re-learned the network, but no change.

I’ve sent a number of troubleshooting commands to the IQ Panel 4. Your broadband pings seem to be going through now. Test locally and let me know if you see improvement.

Hi Jason, thank you, but I am still getting the “No Wi-Fi Access” message on the panel.

I am beyond frustrated with this system. I did a master reset on the secondary panel, connected both to wifi, both show connected. They will not pair. The master panel still says cannot connect to wifi even though it is connected.

So, no clue what to do here, but it is completely unusable at this point.

Thanks,
David

it is a UniFi Dream Machine with a dedicated SSID for the alarm panels and everything had been dialed in for them

Are you able to check the router logs and see if any firmware updates occurred around the time this started?

If you disconnect the IQ Panel 4 from wifi, forget that network, then reboot and try running AP mode on the IQ Panel, can you get the remote to connect?

The goal is to isolate the panel from the wifi network completely so that no other traffic is occurring at all. Just the AP mode communication direct to the IQ Remote as a test.

btw I am able to immediately get a response from the main panel with a broadband ping. It is definitely able to connect to wifi and is currently signaling.

The pop up warning when entering settings seems like it would be a logic bug where the panel just hasn’t cleared that status, but I have seen some strange things with networks in the past which makes me second guess that.

If you get a chance to disable the wifi on the main panel and just use AP mode for the remote without wifi connected at all, let me know the result.