IQ Remote Secondary Panel no longer stays connected

I realized the AP was enabled on the main panel, so I tried turning it off just to see if it would connect over wifi. With AP off, the main panel said wifi or AP had to be enabled to pair the secondary panel…so for some reason, it thinks it isn’t connected to WiFi, even though it is and it seems that you can ping it just fine.

So I paired it via AP and that worked. Once it was paired, the secondary panel download and installed a patch system upgrade.

So, no clue why the panels aren’t recognizing the wifi they are connected to.

I don’t mind using AP mode, but I don’t know that tht range is adequate between the 2 panels. Is there any sort of repeater I can use to boost the signal between them?

Thanks,
David

I don’t mind using AP mode, but I don’t know that tht range is adequate between the 2 panels. Is there any sort of repeater I can use to boost the signal between them?

It is AP LAN mode, uses a 2.4 ghz wifi signal. I have never done this but you could potentially use an off-the-shelf wifi extender to connect to the IQ Panel AP network and expand that AP network signal.

Hi @jwcsurety - going AP mode worked perfectly, and the signal strength at the secondary pad location was actually very good…

…until tonight. I went to arm the system via the secondary panel and had this message:

So now the secondary panel has disconnected, and for some reason, the AP SSID isn’t even showing in the wifi list anymore.

I have no clue what is going on. Could this be an issue with either the main or secondary panels?

Thank you,
David

Can you check on the IQ Panel 4 to make sure the AP mode is still enabled?

It is…when I get closer, I see the AP SSID on my
phone. It seems that range decreased - it was working fine upstairs yesterday when I put the panel back up, but now it’s not reaching.

So the AP is working, but just not far enough.

I wish I could get wifi working on the IQ Panel 4 so I could go back to wifi.

That’s good info. Do you use a short cable for the power supply or has it been extended? If extended, how long is that cable?

If you reboot the main panel now (Settings > Advanced Settings > Reboot Panel), does the range improve after reboot for a time?

Hi Jason, I have probably about 6 feet of power cable, but it punches through the wall directly behind the panel and into the garage on the other side.

I rebooted the panel, but the signal strength didn’t seem to change. I scanned the wifi at the secondary panel and the signal strength of the AP WiFi is pretty weak there (-88 dbm).

In the meantime, I am going to contact Ubiquity to see if I can figure out why the panel is having trouble with WiFi through the UDM router.

Not that I want to spend more, but I see that Qolsys makes a router that integrates with ADC. Is that worth considering if I can’t get wifi working?

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Thank you,
David

Not that I want to spend more, but I see that Qolsys makes a router that integrates with ADC. Is that worth considering if I can’t get wifi working?

Normally I would say yes if you have wifi signaling trouble, adding an extender or a router access point closer to the panel would help. However any close wifi access point should help (using 2.4Ghz), not any specific one.

What is the distance between your IQ Panel 4 and the Ubiquiti router?