IQ Panel as Z-Wave secondary controller

Oh yes, I’ve tried everything I can think of. When you use the “add controller” inclusion mode, all devices on the panel get wiped anyway (as I’ve found out on unsuccessful attempts to update the Qolsys with a new device I’ve added). But, I’ve also tried “remove all devices”. I’ve even gone so far as to put my ST hub into general exclusion mode (equivalent of Clear Device on the Qolsys panel I assume) and then hit “add controller” on the Qolsys panel and I get a “success” status on the ST app for this action. I think the ST Hub is crashing when the Qolsys panel is trying to return a status to it would be my guess, especially given I can unplug the ST Hub in the middle of inclusion and the Qolsys continues on…

Qolsys got back to me and essentially said they don’t support using the panel as a secondary controller nor do they have instructions for it.

SmarttThings support says they don’t support using the hub with a secondary controller.

Why even offer the setting if no one will support it haha. :frowning: As I understand Z-wave networking, part of the problem may be due to the device type differences between a static controller and a portable controller. Portable controllers typically have more robust secondary controller support because I believe the idea is you might buy several remotes for your house, setup your z-wave network on one remote and essentially copy the network to the rest of the remotes as a secondary device. I haven’t found a static controller yet that will play well with a secondary controller scheme (although the old GE z-wave remote used to work pretty decently on my Simon Panels…)

Z-wave has been a home automation standard long enough that you’d think companies would be a little more forward thinking about their configuration and use cases but it still feels like companies assume people will control a light or two, a door lock and a thermostat and that’s it. I guess if you really want to do home automation you need to pay big bucks and use Control4 or something similar…

Ok, so looks like I was able to pair the ST hub to the panel with the Qolsys as the secondary.

When I transfered over the devices to the Qolsys from ST hub, none of the device names imported so I have to manually rename and figure out which device was which on the Qolsys panel. Is that normal?

Also, if I add a new device to the ST hub, will it simply link to the Qolsys panel now?

Did your SmartThings hub crash during the inclusion process? Do you see the Qolsys panel as a device in the ST hub? And yes, because the device IDs will most likely be different the names will be defaults. I just used the ADC web interface and tested each light to figure out what was what and renamed.

ST hub did not crash, it actually imported very smoothly, but I was only importing 8 switches.
And the Qolsys panel was shown as a “thing” in the ST list of devices

After I confirmed that the import did work, I wanted to add my Kwikset 910 locks. They were recognized as Z wave locks in the ST hub, but when imported into the the Qolsys panel only 1 imported over as “other device”.

Also, so far it does seem like alarm.com is updating the status of the light, but at a slower rate that in the past.

Nice. I’m wondering if the fact that I’ve integrated with my Harmony remote may be causing some of the issues during inclusion. The harmony activities show up as “devices” in my ST hub but I wouldn’t assume they would be treated as fake z-wave devices during inclusion. My Qolsys panel is receiving 6-8 phantom devices (haven’t officially counted as I’ve tried the inclusion so many times I gave up on the little stuff).

I’m considering removing all devices that are not z-wave from the hub, removing my old BE369 Schlage lock (which I still enjoy since I modified it to be bump proof by disabling the key backup) and then trying inclusion again to see if maybe these device types are causing issues during the import.

So when you add any new device on the DT hub do you have to run the ads controller process again or is there a way to just sync the new device?

Sadly with the limitations of the z-wave support on the Qolsys panel, add controller is the only way to do it. You’ll lose custom device names in the panel as it’s reloading all devices (not incremental) so I wouldn’t bother setting them on the panel (just set them on ADC website). Secondly, as a note, if you run into issues with the inclusion, you’ll end up with zero devices on the Qolsys panel. If you leave it this way for long, all z-wave devices will be deleted from the ADC website too and then you’ll definitely have to rename everything on the website.

That’s what I was afraid of. I guess the only way to try and get the the locks to register as locks on the panel is to keep reloading all devices and see if they eventually take.

That’s what I was afraid of. I guess the only way to try and get the the locks to register as locks on the panel is to keep reloading all devices and see if they eventually take.

I have not had experience using ST on Qolsys, but in general certain rules should be followed. For the best chance of success and rule out general issues, make sure the panel and ST hub are within a few feet of one another when pairing the two. Also make sure to leave them in close proximity for 5 minutes or so to make sure all transmission is complete.

Locks tend to be the first thing to have trouble when distance is a concern.

While I agree that close proximity is a good thing to practice, based on my experience so far, it seems as though the ST hub sends the device list as a single payload, including locks. I say this because when my ST hub crashes and reboots itself, I’ve got in the habit of unplugging the ST hub after I see it lock up because that’s the only way results in success on the Qolsys. I only bring this up because I find the behavior curious. Even with the ST hub unplugged, the Qolsys panel cycles through adding nearly all devices (missing one old lock) one at a time adding them, chiming as each one is done being added. Logs from the ST hub seem to coincide with this single payload too. I’m not even sure how this is possible to do with locks but the other two I have are newer Yale locks that don’t seem to require low radio power secure inclusion like the old Schlage.

So after adding another dimmer today, I had to re add the controller and re import all devices. The ST hub was going offline almost everytime but as WRXfanatic stated, if I unplugged the ST hub all of the devices still transfered to the Qolsys panel, with the exception of 1 Lock.

I am also getting some phantom devices reading “other devices” and the devices totaling more than I actually have.

The issue is going to be if I get everything to sync, and then add 1 more device I will have to resync ALL devices again and risk the locks not pairing again.

Overall the process is very clumsy and it doesnt make much sense for the hub and panel manufactures to offer this as an option and then have it barley functional. I think the only reason this is useful is if you are very desperate to get away from the Qolsys panel as the primary.

I am considering dealing with it as the ST hub has some good functionality for Z-wave window shades and the Echo integration is pretty flawless.

Did anybody have the Linear/ADT garage door opener on Smartthings, and have it import into the Qolsys?

https://www.alarm.com/partners/hardware.aspx#home-access

The Linear GD00Z-4 is compatible on the latest Qolsys firmware and Alarm.com, but I do not have experience with it through ST.

I tried pairing and using directly with the Qolsys panel as primary, but it kept going offline and other annoyances. I even added a repeater in the middle. Still not reliable. I’m guessing this is the general experience of people, which is why we’re looking into getting Qolsys as a secondary here??

The main purpose of adding another controller is to add Z-wave devices that are not compatible with the alarm panel, so the controller with wider compatibility should be primary.

In the case of 2GIG it can only be the secondary controller. I have not tried using Qolsys as anything but secondary (I don’t believe it can either to be honest).

In the case of the GD00Z-4, you’ll want to make sure you have the latest firmware for your Qolsys panel. What firmware version are you currently using?

I just got the Qolsys panel new a week back, and updated it to the latest firmware. It even says no new firmware available. I’m not home right now, but I’d imagine it’s the latest. I was able to disable it being primary and add ST as secondary. It looks like that process wasn’t well done, or complete ?? There’s a bit of hint from WRXFanatic about the process with ST, but I’m hoping we’d get more reports of working processes in this case…

Just to clarify: there are a few different things you are mentioning here and I want to be clear what the issue is.

Are you adding a GD00Z-4 to a Qolsys panel directly?
Are you adding a GD00Z-4 to ST and then linking Qolsys as a secondary controller?

Are other devices functioning after this process and just not the GD00Z-4? Or are you unable to get any working devices that way? Keep in mind devices should be learned into ST directly first, then link the IQ Panel as a secondary.

Is the GD00Z-4 also brand new? Recently we were informed someone had purchased a GD00Z-4 from another vendor and received a GD00Z-5. These are different models with different Z-wave versions and would impact further troubleshooting, so it would be good to double check the product label.

We have a How To for this now.

Hello,

Thank you for these.

Have you ever experienced timeouts? In the Add Device ST wizard, I eventually reach the Scan QR/Add Manually page. Since yhere are no QR codes to.scan on the IQ Panel 2+, I manually enter the 5 first digits of the PIN provided on the IQ Panel.

ST adds the device but the IQ Panel times out trying to receive the device information.

The ST hub and the IQ Panel are 8 feet apart.

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Ive seen it timeout before. As I recall I had to restart once or twice to get them to pair. It also takes longer depending on how many Z-Wave devices are learned into the hub.

What is the IQP2+ firmware and Z-Wave firmware?

1 Like