IQ Panel 4 + Samsung Smart Things or just IQ Panel 4?

Alarm.com was a little less robust on some of the home automation routines like locking a door after a set amount of time being unlocked. Triggering lights when a door is unlocked. Mirroring light status to name a few.

I am upgrading from a 2Gig GC2 plus several TS1 extensions and a Samsung Smart Things v3 hub. I do have a few zigbee devices but they are not critical.

I do not like having a patchwork of different systems. Is there a way to beef up some of the automations on alarm.com or should I just add the IQ Panel 4 as a secondary Z-wave controller to the Samsung Smart Things? Is that even possible yet? It isn’t possible on the IQ2 or IQ 2+. How well do the shared devices get along? I was beginning to have issues with the GC2 and the SST because I began adding Z-Wave plus devices. Namely with the quickset z-wave locks.

I will be adding the Qolsys extensions to every doorway. They are within 3 feet of each quickset door lock. Will those suffice if I learn them into the IQ Panel 4 or will I still need to bring the IQ panel 4 around to each lock if I do not use the Samsung Smart Things anymore?

There won’t be a difference in the capabilities in Alarm.com rules between the systems. Newer devices will be supported by the IQ Panel, and a lot of integration benefits exist like Alarm.com scenes on the panel, video streaming on the panel, MyQ Garage control on the panel. Z-wave rules in Alarm.com won’t really be impacted.

The IQ Panel 4 has the option to pair Z-wave controllers. The UI is identical to the IQ Panel 2+ so you can find details here.

I will be adding the Qolsys extensions to every doorway. They are within 3 feet of each quickset door lock. Will those suffice if I learn them into the IQ Panel 4 or will I still need to bring the IQ panel 4 around to each lock if I do not use the Samsung Smart Things anymore?

Can you clarify what you mean by Qolsys extensions. Do you mean the IQ Remote secondary keypads? These do not have Z-wave radios.

The panel should be within about 6 feet of locks while pairing them.

Yes, the IQ Remote secondary keypads. I could not find any actual specs on them besides the marketing pages that state “- Full Z-Wave Control (Lights, locks, thermostats, garage doors, etc)” which didn’t answer whether there was a z-wave radio or not.

Thank you for clarifying.

I am glad they added the ability to pair z-wave controllers on the IQ Panel 4 so I can continue to use the Samsung Smart things for some of the automations that alarm.com has not added yet. the IQ Panel 2 and 2 + did not allow additional z-wave controllers.

Yes, the IQ Remote secondary keypads. I could not find any actual specs on them besides the marketing pages that state “- Full Z-Wave Control (Lights, locks, thermostats, garage doors, etc)” which didn’t answer whether there was a z-wave radio or not.

Ah, yes that is referencing the ability to control Z-wave devices through those panels, but the command is routed through the main IQ Panel via LAN.